*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Hey Autoprax.... over two weeks into testing here and we had another 5 new cases yesterday. 'Bout 5 a day, every day. Want to explain how that's actually exponential growth?
Are you as dumb as the surf dog?

Attibuting things to me that I never said?

It better if you don't make stuff up when you go for your gotchas.

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Are you as dumb as the surf dog?

Attributing things to me that I never said?

It's better if you don't make stuff up when you go for your gotchas.

You said exactly "exponential growth does not wait for skepticism"

I'm not wasting time looking up where.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
You said exactly "exponential growth does not wait for skepticism"

I'm not wasting time looking up where.
Well if you accuse me of saying things I didn't say and use that as that a reason to challenge me it's like you built a man out of straw and said it was me and then you started beating it with a mace.

Which might be fun for you but meanwhile I look on with a bemused expression on my face.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Well look at that why don't you
wonder who lives in these zip codes
looks like a map of disposible income/retirees
molokai, lanai, niihau...clean

Latest update

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Same for me, well surfboards specifically. I can't seem to break that one addiction of buying a new board every 3-4 months. Yes, it's not that expensive, but I would love it if I could stop thinking about buying a new board. I have no other consumer addictions and live very frugally. Would really love to break this last one! First World problem.
I have the same problem.

Told my wife it is still cheaper than me golfing, mountain biking, dirt biking, or owning a boat. I at least sell most of the boards I don't like for a decent amount to minimize the losses.

Reactions: johnson7

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
oneula, surprised Hanalei section is still zero with all of Princeville and Hanalei town.

Ya, there's some currently zero case mainland counties I was checking out last year to move to.

Almost wishing I just pulled up stakes then and made the big move. I keep checking and so far zilch cases. A few adjacent counties have a few cases, so not sure how long that zero status will last?

Last edited:

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
February 27

I predict by the end of next week the US will be in full chaos. Prep before the hordes. The cases will start rising exponentially in the next three weeks.

I was talking about this almost a month ago and was called an alarmist. Now I'm more relaxed because I prepared.

US coronavirus testing has been completely inadequate. They should have shut this sh!t down 3 weeks ago. Every metro area is gonna be a mess for months now. And we don't have enough hospital beds to treat those who get heavy respiratory symptoms. It will be interesting to see who gets blamed for the poor response. Hope all you BBers stay healthy thru this. Looking at the numbers, the US could see as many as 500,000 dead from this. I estimate we'll see 100,000 deaths.

Kinda sorta close to spot on. Not seeing full on chaos

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
We should double check everyone's early posts for Gotchas and Claims
Sadly our idiot POTUS is going to be on the wrong side of history with him saying it was a hoax and 5 people were going to get sick and it was a Democrat ploy.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Ok, well I happen to benefit from a family email chain, that comes from a big wig at the DoD, Disaster Medicine office.
He's got ebola experience and deals with military as well.

Its a fairly long email, but I'd thougth I'd share what he recommends.

WE'RE SCREWED!!

nah jk for reals though...

Specific recommendations -

1. Don't panic and don't believe the BS on Fox News and Facebook.

2. Plan for your kids/grandkids out of school for a month or so, and perhaps to tele-work.

3. Cover ALL of your coughs and sneezes in the crook of your elbow.

4. If you have ANY symptoms - STAY home, stay in your room, use a separate bathroom. DO NOT go to the hospital unless it is serious (that's were the really sick people are).

5. Buy - acetaminophen and/or ibuprofen, hand sanitizer, bleach (liquid and wipes), cleaning gloves, maybe some regular masks.

6. You might want to stock up on some staple foods (pasta, rice, canned, cereal, whatever) so that you don't have to run to the grocery store as often (I really doubt food shortages would occur).

7. Don't go out partying, stay home and watch TV (not zombie or apocalypse movies).

8. No making-out with strangers. In Liberia we didn't shake hands, hug, or even pat people on the back - we bumped elbows as greeting.
You'll be fine. Just be safe.
This is holding up real well.

Reactions: the janitor

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Talking to and ID doctor today, his take

- Trump admin did the right thing shutting down flights, hopefully allowed us to get some indication of what's coming
- Media should be "ashamed," they are creating needless panic
- At least 18,000 flu deaths in the US this season so far, and that's just deaths
- "Get a grip, people."

Source: 35 years as an infectious disease MD
This one held up well.

• Haha
Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers