Pliny the Younger

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
SHRPSnSLAS said:
Oi mate, I recon this is good **** and matey, after the arvo sesh at the beachie, the eskie filled with Viccibits is ESSENTIAL as me cone piece is passed round with me mates. Matey, after heaps of low grade **** I hit the dunnie every hour so mate, this **** is good **** to throw down three and get off me face.

Square tunnel arvo sesh, marijuana sticks with me mates, viccabits upgrade, mate, it'll be a cracka of a postie!
:roflmao: :applause2: :roflmao: :applause2: :roflmao: :applause2: :roflmao: :applause2:

WavsNBabes long lost Aussie bastard luv brother :rockin:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
SHRPSnSLAS said:
Oi mate, I recon this is good **** and matey, after the arvo sesh at the beachie, the eskie filled with Viccibits is ESSENTIAL as me cone piece is passed round with me mates. Matey, after heaps of low grade **** I hit the dunnie every hour so mate, this **** is good **** to throw down three and get off me face.

Square tunnel arvo sesh, marijuana sticks with me mates, viccabits upgrade, mate, it'll be a cracka of a postie!
meh

3/10

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
enframed said:
RR is good but I've had beers I enjoy more. I prefer their Consecration to Pliny the Elder. There's a beer bubble right now.

Edit: Might have been Supplication. In any event, I preferred the sour to Pliny.
Supplication and Consecration are two incredible sours.

PtY is awesome, it really is a good beer. I will be there in a few days, not waiting in line though, I have a friend for that.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Oakleys_N_Zinka said:
If you want a beer that's at least as good as (maybe better than) PTY go to BevMo and pick up a bomber of Simtra by Knee Deep Brewing. It will knock your socks off, a totally ridiculous 11% triple IPA. The best there is IMHO and they crank it out year round.
How funny is this.....

So I had a no wait-in-line Pliny the Younger the other day and think, yeppers, great hop aroma...reminds me of that illegal grow operation I stumbled up back in the day mixed with my first ever hop growing experiment combined with those days where you hadn't eaten anything since last nights dinner and you had been hacking away blackberry brambles from the side of a barn all day long so you could earn money for college books next year and the farmer hands you an ice cold beer (Heidelberg?) at the end of the day with the $40 he said he'd pay in his other hand.

Well anyway, it was good and I was feeling fine with my thoughts.

I come home and the neighboor comes over and says, "Hey, you wanna try some beer...it is much stronger than I thought it was and I don't think I can have another glass and pick up my kids from pactice later.

"Sure," says I.

Lo and behold, it is Simtra, which I've not had because, well, $10 a bottle (24 oz).

Well, I gotta say, aroma wise, it is just super good. If you like the hop scent, you'd like this. Pretty much on par with PTY, maybe even better.

Tastewise, if you like this style of (triple) IPA, you won't be sad you had this. Two thumbs up to a properly chilled bottle of Simtra ( review here) .

However, and it could be just me and the beer I had an hour or so prior to tasting this one, the PTY was less hot on the throat (alcohol) and maybe a tiny bit less bitter.

Definitely choose this over standing in line for a long time.

Oh, eat some food prior to drinking this stuff....:drunk:

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
I would pound Simtra like Coors Light if I could afford to and it didn't get met me so damn drunk.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Bump. Just had my 3 10 oz glass allotment of the 2020. It took some serious effort to stretch those out over the course of an hour, but it left me with a nice buzz in the end. I’m always in the area for work during the release, and I had the afternoon off, so I figured why the hell not. Went to the Windsor location that looks more like a giant wine tasting room, which is kinda lame. But to their credit, the wainscotting looks fabulous!

I first tried the younger last year and only waited about 20 minutes. It was the first year the Windsor location was open, so it helped to spread the crowd with the Santa Rosa location. Today the wait was just under 3 hours from standing in line to first sip. Kinda like what happens when you add a lane to a major freeway- it helps the traffic for a short while, then the word gets out and it becomes just as bad. Madness.

Definitely tasty and surprisingly smooth for a boozy beer. Would I stand in that line again? Probably not. I did enjoy the camaraderie and bro’ing down about beer while in line and inside. That’s definitely part of the experience. Worth traveling around the world? Yal on crack.

Part of this years’ crowd factor is that they allow you to buy 2 half liter bottles once inside, but I think it’s the Instagram influencer #bucketlist fomo BS that drives the crowds. Oh well. Was a fun time, but probably the last time. In the end, there’s too much good beer out there to deal with that noise.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
20th annual Double IPA awards held in Hayward CA.

Kern River took #1 in the double IPA's. Been there a bunch of times. A little, dinky place in Kernville.

Great beer...

Reactions: grapedrink

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Did I already post that I can’t tell the difference from Sierra Nevada and Pliny? Way overhyped.

Get to monkish for the good stuff

El Segundo brewery is trash. Steve Austin’s beer tastes like soap.

Made the mistake of getting stone from Costco. Trash.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Did I already post that I can’t tell the difference from Sierra Nevada and Pliny? Way overhyped.
I don’t disagree on the overhyped comment, but can you seriously not tell the difference between a Sierra Nevada and a Pliny?

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I don’t disagree on the overhyped comment, but can you seriously not tell the difference between a Sierra Nevada and a Pliny?
I drank them back to back to be fair so not the best comparison. Pliny first. First drink of Sierra I was like yeah that Pliny wasn’t worth the $12 or whatever I paid.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Oh, docent in San Juan Capistrano is pretty good too

El Segundo hammerland not bad

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I think the ones to try/look out for is Slice Brewery in Lincoln, CA. Over by Sacto.

They won the peoples choice in both the double and triple IPA catagories. Exactly how Rogue started out with the Plineys...

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I think the ones to try/look out for is Slice Brewery in Lincoln, CA. Over by Sacto.

They won the peoples choice in both the double and triple IPA catagories. Exactly how Rogue started out with the Plineys...
Gotta keep my eye out. Fresh really makes a huge difference. The Pliny I had wasn’t fresh from brewery. So, maybe a different experience at the source.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I drank them back to back to be fair so not the best comparison. Pliny first. First drink of Sierra I was like yeah that Pliny wasn’t worth the $12 or whatever I paid.
If you are a talking a Sierra Nevada pale ale versus Pliny the Elder, the Pliny is a better beer, but arguably not worth the premium. Certainly a noticeable % alcohol difference though.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Read the review on the contest about a week ago and it was a really big buzz that an unknown, startup brewery from the Central Val took two first places.