Best Fullsuit?

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Does the market really need another shitty wetsuit?

We already have Billabong, Rip Curl, XCEL, Need, Quik, Hurley (LOL! They get the award for absolute worst "3/2" I've ever put hands on), Patagooch, etc...
My point exactly.

Dakine owned by marquee brands who also own body glove and Martha Stewart lolz. Ya Chances of them making anything groundbreaking or even better than mediocre are slim to none.

sheeples

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Bought a couple of new Xcels Drylocks over the summer, a 4/3 and 5/4 hooded, to replace my older versions. Usually when I get a new one they are noticeably warmer than the older (now worn out) versions. This time the opposite.

Don't know what they did, but for some reason the suits feel much less warm around the lower back/stomach below the smooth skin. Everything else is fine but your core basically just gets cold waiting for waves which wasn't the case before. Gonna have to start looking for new winter wetsuits. These are doable but not what I'm used to. This winter isn't even really cold.

Reactions: Havoc

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Bought a couple of new Xcels Drylocks over the summer, a 4/3 and 5/4 hooded, to replace my older versions. Usually when I get a new one they are noticeably warmer than the older (now worn out) versions. This time the opposite.

Don't know what they did, but for some reason the suits feel much less warm around the lower back/stomach below the smooth skin. Everything else is fine but your core basically just gets cold waiting for waves which wasn't the case before. Gonna have to start looking for new winter wetsuits. These are doable but not what I'm used to. This winter isn't even really cold.
I'd check for little hole where the back smoothskin meets the vertical seam coming up from the dumper. This sounds like slow leakage to me.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I'll check but they are both brand new and noticed it the first time I surfed in each of them. It feels more like a design change where they changed the material in that area to something less warm or changed the seam sealing or something. I'd still hesitate to buy something else as usually the caveat with all the more stetchy/comfortable/faster drying suits is, not quite as warm as Xcel but...

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Had same thing with my Mutants the newer version is .5mm thicker but not as warm as the original 4/3 I had.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
aren't most of these wet-suits produced in the same or smal group of producers?
What if there is a change in quality across the board, noticed lots of people complaining about their stuff not being as tough or warm recently. Supply chain issues? Pushing consumers to buy higher end products? More disposable life cycles?

I'm still using a Quicksilver Cypher from 2014? but I also live in Texas so the water is only 60. This has been a great suit and the new ones don't have as much insulation it seems. That fuzzy chit on the stomach chest area. It's just now leaking and flushing and I've abused it really badly.

Reactions: daave

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Yes, I think it's exactly that. While the japanese suits were always better, you used to be able to get decent suits from the major brands that lasted a season or two. But they've gone down. Not sure which factory it is, but I swear my last 7 mainstream suits have all started leaking badly in under 5 sessions. These include billabong, need and xcels. I think they're all made in the same place as they have some common features/flaws. I guess in some places the leaking doesn't really matter. But I surf pretty cold water and have had enough. Back to cybers for my real suits.

Reactions: jkb and Havoc
Jul 4, 2006
New England
I've got a 2018/2019 drylock 5/4 (red/leopard spot lining) that replaced a 2015 or 16 drylock 5/4 (infrared lining) and the new 2018 suit flushes terribly compared to my old suit. I can still get about 2 hours in 40 degree water but the flushing on the 2018 suit is terrible; something to do with a change in the chest zip and a lack of overlapping material/gusset. I also got a new 2019 drylock 4/3 (non-hooded) for when the water is low 50's to 60 and that doesn't seem to flush as bad, so it might just be a function of the hood with the cut. My old xcel infinity 4/3 that might be 5 or 6 years old is still pretty close to the new 4/3 drylock, definitely more flexible. I'll definitely be getting a new brand for my next winter suit; 40 degree flushing sucks, regardless of how well the suit does otherwise

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Have also noticed Xcel's decline in durability. Think next suit I get, I'm just gonna shell out the $ for a Feral

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Have also noticed Xcel's decline in durability. Think next suit I get, I'm just gonna shell out the $ for a Feral

I've had a few of their suits. They're just meh, nothing special. I did get a few years out of my last 5/4/3 but it wasn't the warmest suit really. I really don't understand the >$100 difference between the infiniti and drylock. Their boots and gloves are very middle-of-the-road and not worth the price.

I have hooded Patagonia Yulex R4 now. It's a very warm suit but also very stiff and very difficult to get into and out of. Their sizing is way off, they run small. The chest zip is total BS, there's no zipper stop thingy and I think if you really wipe out that thing is coming open.

Best hooded winter suits I've ever had were one of the O'Neill suits from the mid-2000s and several Rip Curl Elastos.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Also you guys are in suits every day, it's easy to forget how much
I've got a 2018/2019 drylock 5/4 (red/leopard spot lining) that replaced a 2015 or 16 drylock 5/4 (infrared lining) and the new 2018 suit flushes terribly compared to my old suit. I can still get about 2 hours in 40 degree water but the flushing on the 2018 suit is terrible; something to do with a change in the chest zip and a lack of overlapping material/gusset. I also got a new 2019 drylock 4/3 (non-hooded) for when the water is low 50's to 60 and that doesn't seem to flush as bad, so it might just be a function of the hood with the cut. My old xcel infinity 4/3 that might be 5 or 6 years old is still pretty close to the new 4/3 drylock, definitely more flexible. I'll definitely be getting a new brand for my next winter suit; 40 degree flushing sucks, regardless of how well the suit does otherwise

hmmm we may be onto something. I believe my quicksilver is a 2014? give or take a year.
I noticed bad xcel reviews in the past year but all my friends who have been lifelong xcel people loved them in the past.
Side note has anyone tried a Buell? Friend of a friend knows the rep and told me he had the brodeal (lol)

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Also you guys are in suits every day, it's easy to forget how much

hmmm we may be onto something. I believe my quicksilver is a 2014? give or take a year.
I noticed bad xcel reviews in the past year but all my friends who have been lifelong xcel people loved them in the past.
Side note has anyone tried a Buell? Friend of a friend knows the rep and told me he had the brodeal (lol)

I've heard some of the quiksilver suits are really nice. Not sure I'd trust one in northeast winter temps, but I'm sure their 4/3mm would be good for fall and spring.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
whats pricing on cyber suits?
Mine was $470 for a 3/2 with smoothskin and an internal liner chest and back. You won't need a 4/3 in So Cal if you go this route.

I bought this one 3.5 years ago. The end of this winter will be 4 seasons on that suit and I will retire it for a new one.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I really don't understand the >$100 difference between the infiniti and drylock. Their boots and gloves are very middle-of-the-road and not worth the price.
I'm not sold on it either. I got both when they were on backcountry sale in December. The Drylock is a very little bit warmer, with the caveat that the wrist gasket will get cracked/split a bit if you wear a Drylock with gloves, and then it won't Drylock when the gloves come off. This is part of the reason I got the infiniti, plus multi-session days when I can't let the suit dry and/or get some hot water jugs to put in it. Throwing on a wetsuit that's soaking wet in the trunk when the air is in the 40s is a buzzkill.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Hang the suit in the bathroom and stick a dehumidifier in there and close the door.

The 7 mil mittens are the best cold water gloves I've ever worn, the 7 mil boots aren't bad either. I don't think I've payed full price for anything Xcel in awhile, I tend to buy them when I see them on sale in the summer.

I've come to trust Drylocks for Northeast winters so I'm always pretty hesitant to try something else even if they aren't quite as good as they were. The latest suits I have are a disappointment though.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Hang the suit in the bathroom and stick a dehumidifier in there and close the door.
Not really feasible. No shower at the recent work office and I don't think my coffee **** infused wetsuit smell will go over with clients.
It's a two sessions/one workday issue.
The morning's wetsuit sits in the bin, the damp but not sopping one from the previous day sits on the board, and since it's not soaking it doesn't drop my temp too much putting it on at lunchtime.

If I can balcony hang for a couple hours it's all good, especially if I can refill the water jugs and put them inside the thing to preheat.

Reactions: MathDebater