Best Fullsuit?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Hotline UHC 5/4 hooded combo.

From Santa Cruz.

Local and worth every penny.

I had two hotline suits around 2009, a 4/3 and a 5/4 hooded. Neither were good. Both were very stiff. The 5/4 was not at all warm. I got cold as soon as I hit the water. East coast January/February, not California cold.

I don't understand the hype around these suits.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Anybody had any experience with the Body Glove red cell suits? Look like they might be decent suits but don't really hear about them. I got an old 2mm s/s Vapor that has treated me well.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I had two hotline suits around 2009, a 4/3 and a 5/4 hooded. Neither were good. Both were very stiff. The 5/4 was not at all warm. I got cold as soon as I hit the water. East coast January/February, not California cold.

I don't understand the hype around these suits.
Hotlines are cut for barrel chested kegs with legs.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Just ordered a 7Till8 using the custom measurements. Fingers crossed.
I bought two suits from their warehouse moving sale. They were the standard neoprene, so maybe a step below the custom suits. I really like them though. First time I've been cold this year was last week in my 3/2. The liner they use keeps you nice and warm.

Reactions: retodd

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I’ve worn my new mutant legend a few times. Weird getting used to the hood but man I love it. So nice being really warm when the air is in the low 40’s. Surfed in the pouring rain yesterday and was super comfy as well. Technoblubber 3 is arguably not as warm but damn it must be the most flexible wetsuit material ever. I seriously feel as mobile as a 3/2. Really digging Oneil suits again.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I looked on the Oneill website and I was only able to find the psychoTech as a back zip.

Have they moved back to back zips being the premium offering? I was surprised someone still offered them in a premium suit.

Personally I like them better as they are much less restrictive horizontally across the chess than a front zip but I haven't seen one in years.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I've been very happy with my Volte 4/3 chest zip. Pretty warm for a suit without smoothie skin. Prior to that I had an all 3mm ONeill Hyperfreak that I rode into the ground for 3 years, it was definitely the most flexible suit I've ever had but started to lose it's warmth towards the end.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I picked one of these up back at the Del Mar
Boardroom show because it was like 40% off or something close. Finally used it several times over the past 2 weeks. Initially, it’s stiff as F to get into and out of. Almost like the stiffest of all Patagonia suit I had years ago.
However, I’ve been very warm each day I’ve used it; and comfortable. I’ve hung it on the hangair each time which has also opened up the shoulders a little and made it easier to put on/off. So, the inner lining on this one is def warmer in cold conditions, and also a bit stiffer than the one without. Imo
Update: After maybe a dozen uses, the Needs 4/3 with liner is very comfy, not restrictive at all surfing, and is keeping me nice and warm in the 38 degree air conditions we’ve had lately. Great buy.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Infiniti feels great, Nice and soft and flexible unlike the TDC drylock I had for a bit. I'm sort of an a weird sizing issue so the only real issue I have so far is the legs feel a little too big. For the price I think it was a good call.
Have since had a chance to surf since the temps dropped and no issue with brickage and quite warm.

The surfer is an old brick though; dang.

Jul 21, 2015
ISURUS hands down. Just scored a couple of their sales suits (39 yama not 40) and its like a mini oven (4/3).
I will try a feral when my 3/2 xcel gives in.

Jul 20, 2008
Kinda disappointed with the new O'Neill Heat. It fits great, very flexible and warm. BUT...as soon as the back zipper is submerged water flushes in.

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
ISURUS hands down. Just scored a couple of their sales suits (39 yama not 40) and its like a mini oven (4/3).
I will try a feral when my 3/2 xcel gives in.
gotta disagree; have 4 3 year old suites--4/3 isurus and O'Neill. 5/4 Isurus and O'Neill. when it gets cold I go for the Oneill ever time. better stretch and warmer.

Last edited:

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
had sizing issues with isurus. I got a MT ti alpha (5/4 I think) and it was way too tight. I'm a classic medium tall,
6 foot 160lbs. It felt very constricting.

Reactions: Aruka and Havoc

surfapotomus

OTF status
Jan 21, 2014
on a leash
I'm close to your size. I'm 5'11" 155lbs and my 3/2 Isurus Evolve in MT fits great. Broader shoulders maybe?

By way of comparison, Rip Curl's and Quik's also fit me well. Oneill's fit me the worst.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
I'm close to your size. I'm 5'11" 155lbs and my 3/2 Isurus Evolve in MT fits great. Broader shoulders maybe?

By way of comparison, Rip Curl's and Quik's also fit me well. Oneill's fit me the worst.
Maybe. I thought after a half-dozen sessions it would loosen, but still tight. It is very warm though.

Want to buy it off me for cold water travel?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
My 3-year old Flashbomb was starting to get a bit chilly with some seepage coming in. So I picked up a used-once Matuse Scipio 3mil a couple months ago for cheap. It has a couple quirks for sure...
1) The over-the-neck underlayer flap doesn't quite sit flush under the outer piece, so it took some tinkering to make it lay flat but think I have it so it's comfortable & sealed now.
2) Also, they use smoothie on the inside from waist to knee. In Nov, it had me sliding around some inside my suit, but once the water dipped down closer to 60 in Dec, it was fine- and actually quite comfortable- like wearing silk underwear!
But the suit itself has been toasty, with great flexibility. Granted this is meant to be their top-of-line model, so I probably wouldn't pay full price ($600!) for a new one, but I am pretty stoked so far since it cost me about 30% of that. :shaka:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I have a 7till8 on order but wanted a back up and something to use until it arrives.

I bought a couple 4/3 drylocks chest zip on Amazon on a whim. Ive always wanted to try one. Getting them on was easy enough, but no way getting them off without an assist from the wife. The suit wasn't budging off the right shoulder. I'm thinking a 3/2 would have been easier...just not sure it's going to be warm enough. Anyone using a Drylock 3/2 with 3mm booties in 55ish degree water?

I always used rip curls but now that they went 100% zip free I'm not sure they are an option. When they first came out with a zip free suit a few years ago I tried one in my normal size and it was tiny across the chest and shoulders.

I hate wetsuits.