Floriduhs finest

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I never said it was "safe" for cops to confront these armed bandits. I said the danger to the public in allowing these thugs to escape might have outweighed the danger which a confrontation would have posed. I strongly suspect this was the case.
As opposed to shooting hundreds of rounds while hiding behing civilians,?

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
I never said it was "safe" for cops to confront these armed bandits. I said the danger to the public in allowing these thugs to escape might have outweighed the danger which a confrontation would have posed. I strongly suspect this was the case.
Killing a hostage and spraying civilians with bullets doesn't "outweigh the danger" of your hyperbole.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Question, from what we know were these guys mass shooters on a killing spree or were they jewel thieves?

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
They committed an armed robbery and an armed carjacking. Those are serious crimes of violence against people, not crimes against property (which is what you're implying by calling them jewel thieves - you should stop doing that)

That's all the reason cops need to stop them by any means necessary. Mass murder not required.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
They committed an armed robbery and an armed carjacking. Those are serious crimes of violence against people, not crimes against property (which is what you're implying by calling them jewel thieves - you should stop doing that)

That's all the reason cops need to stop them by any means necessary. Mass murder not required.
And who cares how many innocents get killed in the process?

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Perfectly legitimate question and I'm sure that if one or more of the cops is out of policy or in violation of the law then that's how it will go.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

No, the cops job is to protect the public not be judge, jury and executioner. And certainly not to protect the stolen jewels which should be their lowest priority. And sometimes protecting the public means showing restraint. Typically armed robbers only resort to violence when cornered and desperate. The ups truck was under aerial surveillance and stuck in traffic. Set a perimeter, remove as many bystanders from the scene as possible and bring in negotiators.

I suspect that victims loved ones will get a hefty payout from the taxpayers.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
This is simply indefensible.

While I agree that theft of property is an act of violence against people, protecting innocents from further violence is the goal here, not punishment for the original act of violence.

Reactions: $kully

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Some of you need to readjust your talking points:

"Police radioed that gunfire occasionally erupted from the truck even as police chased it, CNN affiliate WSVN reported. "

"As police chased it" means these crooks had just as much chance of accidentally hitting civilians prior to getting stopped as they did for deliberately targeting the cops. Regardless of the outcome of this incident, there is no "give them space to continue doing more of the same". Had they jacked one more car or shot at another civilian after the cops gave them their safe space the responsibility for THAT victim would also have been on the cops for giving the crooks more leeway to victimize more people.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: $kully

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Some of you need to readjust your talking points:

"Police radioed that gunfire occasionally erupted from the truck even as police chased it, CNN affiliate WSVN reported. "
Like I said, armed thieves resort to violence when desperate and cornered. Back down, aerial pursuit. And god forbid thieves get away, that’s worth the lives of bystanders. Those jewels were insured.

Reactions: Ifallalot

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Just skip to the end and decriminalize armed robbery and armed carjacking. We wouldn't want to stigmatize those poor crooks because, after all, society made them do it.

Meanwhile IRL "armed robbery" is not simple theft, and the people who do it don't usually do it just once. These guys held the shopowners at gunpoint - threatening their very lives. We're not talking about kids shoplifting candy bars.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Just skip to the end and decriminalize armed robbery and armed carjacking. We wouldn't want to stigmatize those poor crooks because, after all, society made them do it.

Meanwhile IRL "armed robbery" is not simple theft, and the people who do it don't usually do it just once. These guys held the shopowners at gunpoint - threatening their very lives. We're not talking about kids shoplifting candy bars.
How many innocent lives are worth losing as collateral damage to serve “justice”? Can you put a number on it?

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Shootings occur at car stops on the surface streets and the highways all the time. There are *often* innocent citizens within range. That usually doesn't stop these shootings from happening.

Apparently the FBI is on this case, so the chances of it playing out by the book are pretty high.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
that video is gnarly

I can't believe people are running towards the mayhem

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
In an armed society nobody is safe.
How many innocent lives are worth losing as collateral damage to serve “justice”? Can you put a number on it?
Leave your house unlocked. Share some of the money you’re saving on income tax.

Nobody can put a number on it. You sound desperate. Greta level desperate.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
No, the cops job is to protect the public not be judge, jury and executioner. And certainly not to protect the stolen jewels which should be their lowest priority. And sometimes protecting the public means showing restraint. Typically armed robbers only resort to violence when cornered and desperate. The ups truck was under aerial surveillance and stuck in traffic. Set a perimeter, remove as many bystanders from the scene as possible and bring in negotiators.

I suspect that victims loved ones will get a hefty payout from the taxpayers.
"typically armed robbers only resort to violence when cornered and desperate" - got any data to back that up?

"Set a perimeter, remove as many bystanders from the scene as possible and bring in negotiators." - how does one set a perimeter on armed, fleeing suspects that are jockying for position in a traffic jam AND guarantee that the suspects don't fire on anything and everyone?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
"typically armed robbers only resort to violence when cornered and desperate" - got any data to back that up?

"Set a perimeter, remove as many bystanders from the scene as possible and bring in negotiators." - how does one set a perimeter on armed, fleeing suspects that are jockying for position in a traffic jam AND guarantee that the suspects don't fire on anything and everyone?
From the comfort of their home office. That’s how.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
What happens to the cops when their under reaction leads to death of civilians?

That is the rub.

Over reaction and under reaction are both threats.