Jack Robinson qualifies for WSL World Tour amidst controversy with Zeke Lau due to surf eitiquette faux pas!

doubleup

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 18, 2019
In a normal, real life session, nobody wants to risk trashing their board or seriously hurting another surfer. Not everybody has a spare board waiting in the channel or on the beach. There's often talk of competition raising the bar, improving the sport, etc. Is it raising the bar to sacrifice your board or run someone over?
Do you maximize your points for a ride and force the issue or surf as though Duke was speaking to you when he said "take your time-wave comes, let the other guy go"
Or, Ross Williams: "...we had Zeke sharking around, trying to get into Jack's head, doing, you know, ...what he does. Then he accidentally runs you over"

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
what does one do (in general) when you literally just pop up from a duck dive or hold down or whatever and there is a guy flying right towards you on the wave right behind you as you make the surface, and you paddle hard towards the broken part of the wave (and a severe pouding, like this particular scenario that played out earlier this month at DOH Hanalei) but it is still just too damn close and happening too fast, and the guy riding the wave doesn't expect you to paddle towards the whitewater beating so he kicks out instead of gunning to make the next section..can we at least acknowledge that in a big chaotic maelstrom of breaking waves in an impact zone, sometimes no matter how good your intentions, and your willingness to take a beating so as not to spoil another guys ride, well, sometimes sh!t just happens. I apologized and explained what i was trying to do and we laughed and he was even a little puzzled that i was apologizing. No matter what, it is all happening so fast; no amount of etiquette, consideration, nor adherence to the unwritten (and oft conflicting) rules of surfing will prevent the fact that even the best among us will sometimes just not be able to get out of the way. I'm probably just stating the obvious.
Agree 100% - it happens.

Difference here is watching the heat recap gives a little better perspective and it appears he was gunning for the shoulder from way back and it was probably very apparent seeing it was a roll-in that it would have exploded on him had he paddled right.

In this real life scenario the other week, when me and this guy were laughing briefly about it when i tried to apoligize, he even said "bro i didn't think you would paddle that way, I would have get going, it's cool" I kind of wonder just how universal the "paddle towards the beating" rule is versus "paddle hard for the shoulder and hope you can get entirely, or at least mostly, out of the rider's line." Because this guy (not a pro, but a grown up, lifelong, very good surfer) also didn't seem very clear or aware of the "paddle towards the beating" rule. and i have heard that from others too, over the last 30 years. On the erBB, and in my own practice (i can take a beating, even enjoy the adrenaline rush) , i know it is the prevailing logic to paddle towards the beating to clear the way for the rider. But over the decades i have definitely heard differing opinions on that rule, even from lifelong near pro caliber types. I'm talking Rincon locals in the mid 90's . Veteran Montauk guys who have been surfing the world for decades. Real surfers.
Never knew there was any debate over this.

As a grom you learn quickly gunning for the shoulder will result in a grown man verbally abusing you; as you progress and become a victim yourself you understand you deserved the abuse.

I've never heard any lifelong surfer say otherwise because adults tend to know you don't play in oncoming traffic because sometimes it's too hard to stop.

I don't know how any lifelong hardcore surfer could think this because at some point they'd end up seriously injured or at odds with a local who isn't fvcking around.

On the East Coast, the West Coast at any of the better waves, and anywhere on the planet I've ever traveled the paddler's responsibility is to paddle out of the way, even if it means taking it on the head.

That's the rule, and the only rule.

lagunaboy

Michael Peterson status
Apr 24, 2017
You’re right. We often aren’t sure which way to paddle and we often aren’t sure which way to turn.

lagunaboy

Michael Peterson status
Apr 24, 2017
Agree 100% - it happens.

Difference here is watching the heat recap gives a little better perspective and it appears he was gunning for the shoulder from way back and it was probably very apparent seeing it was a roll-in that it would have exploded on him had he paddled right.

Never knew there was any debate over this.

As a grom you learn quickly gunning for the shoulder will result in a grown man verbally abusing you; as you progress and become a victim yourself you understand you deserved the abuse.

I've never heard any lifelong surfer say otherwise because adults tend to know you don't play in oncoming traffic because sometimes it's too hard to stop.

I don't know how any lifelong hardcore surfer could think this because at some point they'd end up seriously injured or at odds with a local who isn't fvcking around.

On the East Coast, the West Coast at any of the better waves, and anywhere on the planet I've ever traveled the paddler's responsibility is to paddle out of the way, even if it means taking it on the head.

That's the rule, and the only rule.
Jack Robinson is not you. He can handle a 6’ wave breaking on him no worries

FARTHAMMER

Nep status
Apr 19, 2009
If that wasn't hype up Jack everyone would call him a kook! Like if that happened at your local you'd never hear the end of it, some kook bailed his board and got in the way!!! bla bla bla but because it's Jack it's OK!

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

lagunaboy

Michael Peterson status
Apr 24, 2017
If that wasn't hype up Jack everyone would call him a kook! Like if that happened at your local you'd never hear the end of it, some kook bailed his board and got in the way!!! bla bla bla but because it's Jack it's OK!
He’s trying to avoid getting run over by a 180lb dude

Reactions: doubleup

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Yeah, I guess you're right. Jack Robinson may know how to ride the wave, but not how to paddle out. Funny he's gotten this far in his career. Or are you saying it was intentional by Robbo? Which of the two surfers has a record of intentionally hassling/crowding their competitors?
J. Robinson knows how to paddle out and get out of the way.

sh!t happens, to everyone.

but still deserved an interference call.

Reactions: lagunaboy

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
One time paddling out at Nexpa this dude was clearly on a collision course with me and didn't see me, so I took a hard left and paddled into the whitewater. It woulda been great but at the same time I made my decision he did a really good cutback to foam bank and ran right into me on the way down.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
There's no discussion that should have gotten him an interference. WSL judges fucked up and we are rewarded for it with a much more exciting surfer to watch on tour, rules be damned.

I don't care if with that type of interference JAck would still have enough points to win the heat. If he did get an interference the heat would have played out very differently. we will never know because the judges don't know how to do their jobs properly.

• Haha
Reactions: CJSB and FARTHAMMER

FARTHAMMER

Nep status
Apr 19, 2009
He’s trying to avoid getting run over by a 180lb dude
It's a bad place to get caught
One time paddling out at Nexpa this dude was clearly on a collision course with me and didn't see me, so I took a hard left and paddled into the whitewater. It woulda been great but at the same time I made my decision he did a really good cutback to foam bank and ran right into me on the way down.
sh!t happens, it's kinda like accidentally shitting your pants when letting a nice fart go! If you make a mistake like this at most beaches your instantly labeled a kook and someone that gets in the way when in truth it happens to the best of the best like Jack.

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
It's a bad place to get caught

sh!t happens, it's kinda like accidentally shitting your pants when letting a nice fart go! If you make a mistake like this at most beaches your instantly labeled a kook and someone that gets in the way when in truth it happens to the best of the best like Jack.
Nah it was cool, we laughed it off then drank a few caguamas on the beach. He called me into a good one the next day.

Reactions: FARTHAMMER