Jack Robinson qualifies for WSL World Tour amidst controversy with Zeke Lau due to surf eitiquette faux pas!

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
he started paddling as fast as possible for the shoulder he should've been made an abrupt right as soon a Zeke took off.
Guys don't do this in comps because they'll get pounded and lose priority to the guy on the wave (after they kick out). Jack DID NOT want to paddle in to the impact zone. He had a choice and chose to paddle into the pocket of the wave. The result of that is an interference. Who knows how the rest of the heat would have played out.

That being said, stripping a second score completely from Robo is brutal and would remove him from the tour - even more brutal. Zeke had all year to make the cut on either tour and didn't. Shouldn't have to come down to one wave in the final of the last event of the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boneroni and grg

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
interference for sure
if duffys right, we neednt speak of it anymore
robo had a great heat

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Can’t really blame Zeke for his lack of basic math skills being that he’s a product of a Hawaiian education.
Kamehameha school, some of the top edumacation in the state. Still don't mean he smart, 2+2=5? Back to the QS, good luck on qualifying again :cry:

Fuck off guys. Went to the same school and my math classes at KS were harder than my 4 year private college in California. No push throughs at this school, you don't make grades you get kicked out. For every 7 that apply, one gets in - meaning there's lots of people on the waitlist for people who get kicked out.

Last edited:

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
fook off guys. Went to the same school and my math classes at KS were harder than my 4 year private college in California. No push throughs at this school, you don't make grades you get kicked out. For every 7 that apply, one gets in.
it's definitely a top notch school, you're lucky to have attended. not so sure zeke got in on his own credence, believe both his parents worked there.

ZeeHawk

OTF status
Apr 13, 2018
Big Asian Island
Guys don't do this in comps because they'll get pounded and lose priority to the guy on the wave (after they kick out). Jack DID NOT want to paddle in to the impact zone. He had a choice and chose to paddle into the pocket of the wave. The result of that is an interference. Who knows how the rest of the heat would have played out.
This right here. It's a comp and these guys do what they have to, to win. Kelly, Gabs, Parko, Mick etc etc all do this kind of crap. Robbo should have roasted himself in the whitewash and let Zeke go but he would have gotten smoked and most likely Zeke would have kicked out of a barrel and right back into priority. Sure Zeke (or any serious comp surfer, for that matter) would have done the same if places were switched. Rings pretty hollow considering what Zeke will do to win a heat.

As it's written, the rule is too subjective. Basically, "if surfers collide, it's up to the judges." Should be along the lines of "if a surfer paddling out, impedes on the performance on a riding surfers wave, it's an interference and penalty to the paddling surfer. If the riding surfer turns toward a paddling surfer to create an interference situation the penalty goes to the riding surfer."

Last edited:

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
fook off guys. Went to the same school and my math classes at KS were harder than my 4 year private college in California. No push throughs at this school, you don't make grades you get kicked out. For every 7 that apply, one gets in - meaning there's lots of people on the waitlist for people who get kicked out.
Yeah, since the public schools in SB are so much better, maybe? If maybe, it's because rich white people live there and decide to invest more in their kids. 'Hawaiian Education'? Public education in America is broken mostly everywhere.

I found the same thing with private school in HI, made college classes easy.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
fook off guys. Went to the same school and my math classes at KS were harder than my 4 year private college in California. No push throughs at this school, you don't make grades you get kicked out. For every 7 that apply, one gets in - meaning there's lots of people on the waitlist for people who get kicked out.
Chill. It was a joke.

lagunaboy

Michael Peterson status
Apr 24, 2017
Say Robinson had stopped paddling altogether and Zeke had turned out of the wave sooner and run over him... still interference? ‘Cause that could have happened.

Reactions: Waterlogged05

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
As far as I understand, the offending surfer's intention has nothing to do with the rule, you broke the rule or you didn't ... your feelings don't matter.

In this case, Robbo should have had an interference call. That being said, screw Zeke, I'm stoked Jack's on the tour, and fuck Zeke some more for pulling a Medina and bitching on social media about it. I hate that with a passion.

doubleup

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 18, 2019
Seems like the OP doesn’t know much about surfing.

I’ve never seen a heat so dominated by one surfer.

Robinson was unable to determine where Zeke was going to end up on that wave. I reckon Zeke (perhaps) could have been scored as if he made the barrel, which he would have.
The surfer up and riding has heaps more options and maneuverability. Sunset is notorious for unpredictable sections and situations. Those guys make it look easy, but it's not. The way he was surfing, Robbo could have avoided a paddler while in the barrel and continued on the wave. Maybe Zeke could have also, but he seems to be into the intimidation thing.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I think the rule is the paddler has to intentionally interfere for it to count. Anyway Zeke is right but that thats how the ball bounces in competitive sports sometimes.

Reactions: CJSB

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I think the rule is the paddler has to intentionally interfere for it to count. Anyway Zeke is right but that thats how the ball bounces in competitive sports sometimes.
Nope, there was a moment at Bells I think this year, where interference was called for this exact same rule. Was it between Italo and someone else?

doubleup

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 18, 2019
"Zeke had all year to make the cut on either tour and didn't. Shouldn't have to come down to one wave in the final of the last event of the year."

Lau appeared to get a gift or two from the Judges on his way to the Final... not so sure he even belonged there.

Reactions: CJSB

CCKeith

Gerry Lopez status
May 13, 2014
The surfer up and riding has heaps more options and maneuverability.
fucking-a thats a load of puppyshit its the paddlers responsiblty to gtfo of the way thats the way the lineup works only time ive ever ran someoen over its in the barrel way too mcuh sh!t going on in there to react especially at a place like sunset

Last edited:

doubleup

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 18, 2019
fucking-a thats a load of puppyshit its the paddlers responsiblty to gtfo of the way thats the way the lineup works only time ive ever ran someoen over its in the barrel way too mcuh sh!t going on in there to react especially at a place like sunset
Yeah, I guess you're right. Jack Robinson may know how to ride the wave, but not how to paddle out. Funny he's gotten this far in his career. Or are you saying it was intentional by Robbo? Which of the two surfers has a record of intentionally hassling/crowding their competitors?
"Ross Williams: "...we had Zeke sharking around, trying to get into Jack's head, doing, you know, ...what he does. Then he accidentally runs you over"

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
It is called surfing not paddling.
Trying to avoid people paddling out who are gunning for the shoulder are not doing the surfer riding the wave any favours.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
what does one do (in general) when you literally just pop up from a duck dive or hold down or whatever and there is a guy flying right towards you on the wave right behind you as you make the surface, and you paddle hard towards the broken part of the wave (and a severe pouding, like this particular scenario that played out earlier this month at DOH Hanalei) but it is still just too damn close and happening too fast, and the guy riding the wave doesn't expect you to paddle towards the whitewater beating so he kicks out instead of gunning to make the next section..can we at least acknowledge that in a big chaotic maelstrom of breaking waves in an impact zone, sometimes no matter how good your intentions, and your willingness to take a beating so as not to spoil another guys ride, well, sometimes sh!t just happens. I apologized and explained what i was trying to do and we laughed and he was even a little puzzled that i was apologizing. No matter what, it is all happening so fast; no amount of etiquette, consideration, nor adherence to the unwritten (and oft conflicting) rules of surfing will prevent the fact that even the best among us will sometimes just not be able to get out of the way. I'm probably just stating the obvious.

In this real life scenario the other week, when me and this guy were laughing briefly about it when i tried to apoligize, he even said "bro i didn't think you would paddle that way, I would have get going, it's cool" I kind of wonder just how universal the "paddle towards the beating" rule is versus "paddle hard for the shoulder and hope you can get entirely, or at least mostly, out of the rider's line." Because this guy (not a pro, but a grown up, lifelong, very good surfer) also didn't seem very clear or aware of the "paddle towards the beating" rule. and i have heard that from others too, over the last 30 years. On the erBB, and in my own practice (i can take a beating, even enjoy the adrenaline rush) , i know it is the prevailing logic to paddle towards the beating to clear the way for the rider. But over the decades i have definitely heard differing opinions on that rule, even from lifelong near pro caliber types. I'm talking Rincon locals in the mid 90's . Veteran Montauk guys who have been surfing the world for decades. Real surfers.

I'm probably splitting hairs. It's probably obvious that occasionally, if you're out there surfing hard, in the mix and getting waves, there will be times when you just simply can't get out of the way fast enough, and a guy has to kick out or bail or change his line to avoid hitting you. And there are equally as many times where another guy, even a veteran competent surfer, may not be able to get out of yours. All part of the game

None of the above is really relevant to the actual interferecne call, but it did make me want to muse rhetorically on the erBB about an issue that i think of regularly.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It is called surfing not paddling.
Trying to avoid people paddling out who are gunning for the shoulder are not doing the surfer riding the wave any favours.
Common sense.

There's a reason guys getting run over is not a regular occurrence in competition.

Did Jack have ill will behind it? No way.

But it does seem he made a poor choice and Zeke got a 1.06 because of it.