for Front footed Surfers

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Didn't see this thread before, but I too am a front footer. I think its from growing up street skating for years before I started surfing. Pushing all around my town before ever riding a surfboard. Somebody brought up Dane being front footed, I know he grew up in Bakersfield skating before moving to the coast, so that could explain it.

Boards that have worked for me:
- Stretch Superbuzz
- Stretch Quadfish
- Super Brand Fling
- Pyzel Ghost
- CI Average Joe
- Gallagher Scrapper (Santa Cruz Ozzie Wright Model)
- Any type of retro fish
- Patterson Italo Model
- Lost RNF
- White Diamond Knock Off
- Tomo Evo
- Tomo Sci Phi (OG Chopped nose)
- CI Sampler
- Tokoro Moonfish
- Arakawa SK8
- Arakawa Wombat

All had/have low entry rocker and most had a little kick in the tail.

Boards that haven't worked for me:
- So many.
- Worst board ever ridden: CI Weirdo Ripper.

All had a lot of entry rocker and/or lack of tail rocker.

On the to-order list:
- Pyzel Phantom or Gremlin
- Lost RNF Redux
- Patterson Pool Party (lower rocker Italo model)
- CI Mini

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
That's interesting race.

I'm beginning to notice the same thing for myself, but the opposite.

Boards with higher entry lower tail seem to work better for me.
I feel instantly at home with this sort of rocker on any board I've ridden.

The exception would be smaller, top to bottom barrels with heavy offshore wind - low entry makes it so much easier in and the higher tail rocker is so much smoother and less fickle when it's critical. Lower tail rocker can want to track or ride up too high in the face but once it's big enough the lower tail rocker board will work fine and I don't experience that trackiness.

Outside those top to bottom waves I feel the lower entry/high tail is a crapshoot for me...some boards like the Psychedelic Germ left me feeling completely lost and unable to generate speed.

The frustrating thing about lower tail rocker boards is in smaller waves you just can't always get as vertical. They need a bigger canvas.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
But isn't a board with more tail rocker going to be able to turn tighter in a smaller pocket?

I agree no one goes vertical of their front foot.

And I think all turns are initiated from the back foot.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
The frustrating thing about lower tail rocker boards is in smaller waves you just can't always get as vertical.

Thats a design issue + fin placement.

No one goes vertical off their front foot .
Sorry if this has been discussed before. What changes to fin placement do you make with tail rocker adjustments?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I surf heavy on the front foot. If the board I’m likes a back footed approach better i just...

.....scoot my feet back a little....

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Extra tail rocker with lower nose rocker was created in 1965 for nose riding = riding forward on the board , not the new set up :)

Race would gladly support local shapers if the glass shops offered what's been available on the west and east coast of the mainland for sooo long . Hawaii has some of the best conventional glassing , a 2lb eps foam shape glassed 6-6-4 tail patch , 6 bottom with Greenroom epoxy will be very durable and weigh about the same as an all 4oz poly board , I've made many of these in Hawaii .

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Extra tail rocker with lower nose rocker was created in 1965 for nose riding = riding forward on the board , not the new set up :)

Race would gladly support local shapers if the glass shops offered what's been available on the west and east coast of the mainland for sooo long . Hawaii has some of the best conventional glassing , a 2lb eps foam shape glassed 6-6-4 tail patch , 6 bottom with Greenroom epoxy will be very durable and weigh about the same as an all 4oz poly board , I've made many of these in Hawaii .
Pfft. The last time I asked for something like that it took nearly 3 months and the cost was over $800. Rather just get a cheaper XTR in 6 weeks.

If I get a Pyzel through XTR, it's a local shaper. If I get a Patterson through XTR, it's a Hawaiian shaper.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Can someone please explain to me how they are front footed?

I'd love to know how a person turns a board off their front foot.
Long long ago.JPG
That's a front- footed cutback from decades ago. Lean forward into the turn like a Giant Slalom turn snow skiing. Hips lead the turn.

Not only was I a better surfer back then, but I had more hair too.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Most people surf too much off the tail of their boards and don’t bury the rail enough if ever. Then again they also think swinging their arms makes them turn and the Huntington hop will make them go faster. I blame thrusters.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I'm sorry but from a hydrodynamic standpoint, it's all in the back foot. Unless your fins are placed way forward, the natural pivot point is rearward. The front foot obviously gets weighted but more at key times, like driving down the face for speed, or right after you karate kick your top turn with your back foot you throw your weight forward to start going back down the face. There's no way to surf vertically off of your front foot. None.
On a cutback, coming out of an extended bottom turn (which can be pretty neutral footed), as you approach the section you weight the back foot. Why? To lift the nose and start the transition to the opposite rail. As the fins engage, you start the parallel weight shift, sinking more of the rail and you end up in a more neutral position before throwing it on the back foot again to bash the lip/whitewater.
It's like riding a bike: At faster speeds, you lean the whole bike over to make the turn (rail line/rocker). At slower speeds you need to turn the wheel (more rearward pivot).
There are a lot of ways to do a cutback. But you ever try a critical full roundhouse cutback using mainly front foot pressure??

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Can someone please explain to me how they are front footed?

I'd love to know how a person turns a board off their front foot.

While I kinda think of myself for the most part as someone who tends to 'drop-carve-aim-weight-the-front foot' beach break rider, turns out if I look at some photos, I'm more of a heels-on-the-rails-when-going-left-on-a-wide-board kind of person.

Last edited:

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
Deep single concave with a wide-point forward outline is my go-to. I like the Pyzel Phantom/Ghost line as they all have that same deep single throughout.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yeah I got a 6'1 ghost and works so well for me from neck high and up. Like it so much I got a 6'6 version as a step up and it's the best step up I've ever had.

Debating Phantom/Gremlin.

Reactions: sjlist

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
I'm sorry but from a hydrodynamic standpoint, it's all in the back foot. Unless your fins are placed way forward, the natural pivot point is rearward. The front foot obviously gets weighted but more at key times, like driving down the face for speed, or right after you karate kick your top turn with your back foot you throw your weight forward to start going back down the face. There's no way to surf vertically off of your front foot. None.
On a cutback, coming out of an extended bottom turn (which can be pretty neutral footed), as you approach the section you weight the back foot. Why? To lift the nose and start the transition to the opposite rail. As the fins engage, you start the parallel weight shift, sinking more of the rail and you end up in a more neutral position before throwing it on the back foot again to bash the lip/whitewater.
It's like riding a bike: At faster speeds, you lean the whole bike over to make the turn (rail line/rocker). At slower speeds you need to turn the wheel (more rearward pivot).
There are a lot of ways to do a cutback. But you ever try a critical full roundhouse cutback using mainly front foot pressure??
No one said they surf exclusively off their front foot. As you stated so eloquently above, that doesnt work. Us front-footed surfers tend to weight their front foot slightly more than their back foot, and/or lean forward putting more pressure on the front foot than a back-footed surfer does.

I also surf pretty well, at times, and wish I was more of a back-footed surfer...but I'm 40 and it is what it is at this point. Just gotta work with it and find designs that go better for me now. I prefer a lower-wider-flatter entry rocker, wide point forward, with a deep single concave to a double within in the second half of the board with some Vee out the tail to help me roll over from rail to rail since I dont have as much pressure on my back foot to drive through the turns.

Reactions: sjlist

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I think I used to be more back footed but at some point I started riding more lower entry shortboards and kind of adjusted to that to where I feel like I'm fairly neutral/front footed or I at least know how to be. You still have to apply back foot pressure to turn but as far as where you generate speed from I feel like some boards have more of a front or back foot bias. I can still ride a higher nose/lower tail rocker board and they feel great when it comes to surfing them but most of them feel like they plow water and don't paddle or catch waves as well that it's just not worth it to me.