States rights......unless it comes out of the tailpipe.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I don't understand the push to move backward.

Cleaner, more fuel efficient, and electric vehicles seem to be the future of automobiles.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Uhh, not necessarily.

"Thirteen states—mostly in the Northeast and Northwest—and the District of Columbia have adopted California's stricter emissions standards, many of which also participate in the zero-emission vehicle mandate.
Known as "Section 177" states, those 13 are: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington.
Arizona adopted California's standards in 2008, but the state repealed them as soon as Governor Jan Brewer took office in January 2012."

You can drive a non-emissions compliant out-of-state car in California, but registering it is a whole different deal. You'd need it to pass smog before registering, and many other states without specific Cal EPA standard smog devices will NOT pass. You'd either need to have it retro-fitted or sell it out of state.
nothing you posted refuted the original point

the reason the automakers were still going to hew to the california standard
despite the roll-back of federal standards is so that they could (continue) to
meet the higher standard with a single product that could be sold nationwide.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
I don't understand the push to move backward.

Cleaner, more fuel efficient, and electric vehicles seem to be the future of automobiles.
Fuel efficiency is bad for business.

Plus, Steak can't afford a new tank for his Yamaha, poor thing retired on only $2 million dollars.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Efficiency is for fags!
I came up with all these approaches to make teaching more efficient and I got such hard push back in this lastest campaign for accountability and standardization.

The impression I got was my over lords wanted me to be over worked.

Anyway, I notice that people don't like efficency.

They really do see it as a sign of weakness and laziness.

But the increased efficiency actually trigger my ANS that is was okay to release extra resources.

It's paradoxical.

Reactions: hal9000

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
tRump also wants the EPA to go after California's homeless.

West Virginia can flush heavy metals into drinking water, but I homeless guy can't per on the sidewalk, because smaller government is good for business.

Reactions: FecalFace

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
tRump also wants the EPA to go after California's homeless.

West Virginia can flush heavy metals into drinking water, but I homeless guy can't per on the sidewalk, because smaller government is good for business.
It's the superficial emotions that count for them, spite and vengeance are most common.

Homeless people are easily visible and gross.

But you can't see heavy metals in the water!

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I would guess the reason the automakers are resistant to the feds rolling back the CA standards is because they can readily predict a massive recall coming at them a few years down the line after Trump is gone and the Dems reverse the roll-back. Which they will.

Trump should have just stayed out of this one. Even if he was right from a government perspective (and IMO he isn't) , he's still wrong as a practical matter.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I would guess the reason the automakers are resistant to the feds rolling back the CA standards is because they can readily predict a massive recall coming at them a few years down the line after Trump is gone and the Dems reverse the roll-back.

As in, when and if a responsible and grown-up president gets elected and does the right thing?

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
As in when a Democrat President gets elected and does what a Democrat President will do. As I say, I think this would be a dumb decision even if it wasn't a bad decision.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
negative.

they were, however, complaining about the Trump administration
rolling back the CAFE standards

you gotta wonder what the motivation for a move like this when
even the manufacturers don't want the regs relaxed.

They don't want the regs relaxed because the regulations are extraordinarily expensive and complicated to meet- that keeps away competition and keeps the automotive oligarchy in place

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Air and water quality is a proximate influence on our quality of life, so I'd much rather see the gov't putting its resources into improving those elements than playing Don Quixote with global warming.

Reactions: Ifallalot

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
A easy example.

I bought a California model Yamaha WWR 250. State legal at the time of purchase.

A motorcycle already capable of getting 65 MPG.

If I buy a new, factory Yamaha WRR gas tank anywhere in the USA it is $140.00.

If I have to buy a new California emission. All of a sudden its a Pie in the sky gas tank.

It costs me $500.00.

To be legal. Legal in California.

Good thing you got the family Apple money! It’s hard out there for a trustafarian!