States rights......unless it comes out of the tailpipe.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I think the Dems would do better for themselves if they'd operate off how they think their target audience actually will vote as opposed to how they should vote if only they were more woke.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I think the Dems would do better for themselves if they'd operate off how they think their target audience actually will vote as opposed to how they should vote if only they were more woke.
They are blinded by their wokeness and can't see this kind of thinking. Those Dems who can see this are branded as heretics by the Wokies and are pushed off to the side as being woefully out of touch.

Zero conservatives and a huge percentage of independents can't stand Woke-ism.

Reactions: Ifallalot

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Yeah but you are not the target audience

Trump didn't pander to the left.

Hillary pandered to the fence sitters and the right.

So did Kerry, Gore and Biden.

What lesson did we learn from that?

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

Thats what they did in 2016 when they ignored the progressives and pushed HRC.

Reactions: FecalFace

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Thats what they did in 2016 when they ignored the progressives and pushed HRC.
Having a (relative) moderate as a candidate wasn’t the problem. The problem was having HRC as a candidate. Couple that with arrogance, a total lack of understanding Trump’s appeal (which is still the case) and a complete underestimation of Trump’s savvy (you guys still insist he’s dumb and his voters are dumb (to your constant peril)) and you got what you got.

Any other dem, with a little bit of humility and an honest assessment of the opponent (Trump) would have won in a landslide.

The Dems now think Hillary lost because she was too moderate and have lurched so far left that even the employee of a Bay Area environmental enforcement agency (liberal tree hugging true believer to the core) that I worked with today said he’s totally done with the dems and he’s “actually thinking of voting for Trump” even though it makes him feel “sick” to consider it.

The entire democrat party seems to think that a 100,000 or so loud mouths on Twitter represent the majority of America.

• Haha

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Costs.

Why do you new Californians all hate the Federal Government so much???

We have the cleanest vehicles in the world in the USA.

Fighting of 10 billionths of a particle is ridiculous. Trump knows this.

The cost of buying a "California" vehicle is like 15% higher than purchasing the same vehicle anywhere else in the USA. Specific, California emission parts. That gain you a weak .00 gain over the current Federal emision standards.

The California DMV rakes in big fees on this.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Don't forget: Hillary was (and maybe still is) the most hated woman in America.

I voted for her, but I personally know a lot of people who hate her guts. Ask them why, it's "Just because", or "She's a bitch", or "I dunno. I just hate her."

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
The emissions roll back deal has the devil in the details.

The main reason the push back of California emission standards is getting attention, is because more and more people are buying SUV's and trucks instead of glorified go-karts that get 50 mpg. The whole emissions standards deal with automakers is that it's based on the average of all vehicles sold. They "could" more easily start reaching those higher mileage/low emission standards if more people chose little econo-karts.

But most people are over that eco-fad, with gas prices still relatively low, by long term inflation standards, people want safety, comfort and luxury for their new car dollar. Ya, there's still the Prius buyers out there, but not in ever increasing numbers the enviro-do-gooders had hoped for.

So, automakers are topping out meeting the yearly increases of overall fleet average in higher mileage/lower emissions. Squeezing more mileage/lower emission is pretty tough on trucks/SUV's without compromising strength/durability and power needed for their weights. Can't force people to buy those econo-box cars that get 30-40+ MPG. How many here would CHOOSE to buy one of those over a truck, SUV or cross-over?

That's why California is getting it's ass handed back to itself. The state would love to force higher mileage econo-box vehicles on its public, and that would be fine if California made them itself. Automakers have come a long way with higher mileage/lower emission cars, but fewer and fewer are opting to buy them. Electric/hybrids are helping with the fleet averages, but those numbers are still fairly small percentage in overall sales.

Many thought we'd be further along with that trend, but it's still lagging nowhere near what they'd hope for by now. Automakers were caught off-guard, but in reality are relieved they won't have to push high mileage cars on a public that doesn't want them (yet).

Last edited:

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
A easy example.

I bought a California model Yamaha WWR 250. State legal at the time of purchase.

A motorcycle already capable of getting 65 MPG.

If I buy a new, factory Yamaha WRR gas tank anywhere in the USA it is $140.00.

If I have to buy a new California emission. All of a sudden its a Pie in the sky gas tank.

It costs me $500.00.

To be legal. Legal in California.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Just about every car sold in America is CA emissions-compatible. The car companies like it this way - it's good for business. People who work in the automotive industry like it this way. People who breathe air in America like it this way. Trump doesn't like it.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Just about every car sold in America is CA emissions-compatible. The car companies like it this way - it's good for business. People who work in the automotive industry like it this way. People who breathe air in America like it this way. Trump doesn't like it.
Uhh, not necessarily.

"Thirteen states—mostly in the Northeast and Northwest—and the District of Columbia have adopted California's stricter emissions standards, many of which also participate in the zero-emission vehicle mandate.
Known as "Section 177" states, those 13 are: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington.
Arizona adopted California's standards in 2008, but the state repealed them as soon as Governor Jan Brewer took office in January 2012."

You can drive a non-emissions compliant out-of-state car in California, but registering it is a whole different deal. You'd need it to pass smog before registering, and many other states without specific Cal EPA standard smog devices will NOT pass. You'd either need to have it retro-fitted or sell it out of state.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Thirteen states.

Kind of like the Civil War.

"We guarantee our illegal aliens the freedom to participate in California Emissions".