what to do with car key when in ocean?

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Electric keys can have copies made that only open the door. You're going to have to go to a locksmith to get one made and not your local big box. I don't trust hiding my keys. Its too risky to me.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
I had a pertinent experience this week:

I have (had) one of these

Well, the tumblers had been pretty slow to move the last few weeks (salt water is terrible on locks), but when I got back to my car on Monday the wheels spun totally freely. Sweet. It fixed itself.
Nope.
Dialed in my combo and nothing. Still locked. The lock assembly had somehow lost connection with the latch that unlocks the box. Fck.
(FYI, new used car and I havent' made a spare yet :facepalm: )
Went and found a stick, hoping to pry it open. Nope.
Found a guy with a work truck and borrowed his flat head screwdriver, again hoping to pry it open. Nope, and I cut the sh!t out of my finger too.
Decided I needed to just smash the sh!t out of it.
After 20 minutes of wandering around the university I was able to find a good size chunk of concrete, which I placed under my car, right next to the hanging lock. Then I found a good and heavy fist sized rock. Then I layed down, basically under my car, and wailed away at the lock until I broke through it. It took like 10-15 strong hits to bust it open.

Well, I guess I'm gonna have to stick the key up the pooper now as my lock now looks like this::ROFLMAO:
View attachment 80783

Sounds like a solid lock to me!

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Well, the tumblers had been pretty slow to move the last few weeks (salt water is terrible on locks), but when I got back to my car on Monday the wheels spun totally freely. Sweet. It fixed itself.
Nope.
Dialed in my combo and nothing. Still locked. The lock assembly had somehow lost connection with the latch that unlocks the box. Fck.
Found a guy with a work truck and borrowed his flat head screwdriver, again hoping to pry it open. Nope, and I cut the sh!t out of my finger too.
After 20 minutes of wandering around the university I was able to find a good size chunk of concrete, which I placed under my car, right next to the hanging lock. Then I found a good and heavy fist sized rock. Then I layed down, basically under my car, and wailed away at the lock until I broke through it. It took like 10-15 strong hits to bust it open.

Well, I guess I'm gonna have to stick the key up the pooper now as my lock now looks like this::ROFLMAO:
View attachment 80783
Cam'puss

Nope.

View attachment 80783
Cam'puss point:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Why not put key in trunks? WD40 works wonders as well in case your 4/3 or booties do not have a pocket.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
lol, I'm just happy to get in the water at lunch.

I'm sure your lunch break spot (bedwetter) was fcking cranking on monday......:ROFLMAO:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
lol, I'm just happy to get in the water at lunch.

I'm sure your lunch break spot (bedwetter) was fcking cranking on monday......:ROFLMAO:
If lunch break why not find some wd40 instead of rock or has key you could stick in trunks with 67+ temps? And no never surfed bedwetter ever and have not surfed cam'pus since early 90z on log.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I see what you mean, but the tumblers turning was not the problem. The whole combination assembly stopped interacting with the latch.

Granted, if I were smarter I would've used wd40 weeks back :ROFLMAO:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I see what you mean, but the tumblers turning was not the problem. The whole combination assembly stopped interacting with the latch.

Granted, if I were smarter I would've used wd40 weeks back :ROFLMAO:
I have lockbox and wd40 works right away but still nothing beats taking key off electric opener and stuffing in pocket:trunk, leash, suit...

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
You guys ever thought of hiding a spare key somewhere on the car while at home or work etc before parking (magnet holder, twine and tied up out of sight, etc), and keeping your keys in your pants/shorts, locked inside your car? Nobody will see you hide your key, and you can hide it in a different spot every time.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
You guys ever thought of hiding a spare key somewhere on the car while at home or work etc before parking (magnet holder, twine and tied up out of sight, etc), and keeping your keys in your pants/shorts, locked inside your car? Nobody will see you hide your key, and you can hide it in a different spot every time.
Already mentioned in thread and done many times. Another depending on break is bringing backpack to leave on beach after you change with key in pocket tucked deep into backback.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
We had a youngster do so awhile back,
i shot pix of him+ his bro standin' outside, dripping wet, waiting for their Dad's to arrive.
1 Dad owns the 76 gas station on pch near Gladstones which you probably drive by.
Car keys were gone, I'll betcha their goodies were gone too...
John Jakel?

Can tell you that he would have had to wait for his dad - no way any of the buses would pick him up. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
There used to be some guys in the Silver Strand parking lot that would sort of lurk and watch where you hid your keys. Then, while you were out surfing, they would hide them a little better.
Ditto La Brea St.

One of them f*ckers even snatched the symbols off my old Buick. And how desperate do you have to be to steal the symbols off a Buick?! :rolleyes:

• Haha

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Already mentioned in thread and done many times. Another depending on break is bringing backpack to leave on beach after you change with key in pocket tucked deep into backback.
My usual spot, I'm not too stressed about stashing key on my car. Other spots, though, yeah, I'll bring a backpack down to the sand and keep my keys in it.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
My usual spot, I'm not too stressed about stashing key on my car. Other spots, though, yeah, I'll bring a backpack down to the sand and keep my keys in it.
And where do you stash the backpack?

I remember when I lived by the beach in Venice CA, how awesome it was that I could just leave my backpack on the sand and no one would touch it. Here in Brazil if you just look away for 2 minutes there's a great chance someone will steal your backpack.

It's been almost 10 years though, I bet it's gotten worse.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
And where do you stash the backpack?

I remember when I lived by the beach in Venice CA, how awesome it was that I could just leave my backpack on the sand and no one would touch it. Here in Brazil if you just look away for 2 minutes there's a great chance someone will steal your backpack.

It's been almost 10 years though, I bet it's gotten worse.
Just on the sand with a towel over the top of it. I guess I am kind of trusting.

I always think, in areas of rampant theft, a great deterrent would be for the cops to place something like a backpack on the sand or a car with a wallet on the dash with a clear view, and then position a sniper a hundred yards out or so and just pick off the thieves one by one with gutshots. With a cleanup crew on standby of course.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
^^^^ I'm all for it

We cant even dispose if convicted murderers here in CA though