Zoom meetings..

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
If you want to make your zoom calls more engaging, check out obs open broadcast software
It allows you to show your screen, use your camera, use images, your mobile devices, all at the same time or separately, transitioning smoothly from one view to another.

I do a lot of calls where I’m talking for a while, sharing slides a little, and sharing my desktop most of time. This is allowing me to superimpose myself, or not, dynamically.

I set it up Thursday night and used it for all of my calls on Friday. On every call, I got unsolicited positive feedback on using remote conference technology

On YouTube, there’s a ton of videos created by teachers. Most of them are on how to set it up, and not really great at demonstrating why you’d go through the trouble of setting it up

Really cool stuff if you’re embracing this new way of engaging remotely

I was lucky in that I didn’t start from scratch. A coworker had already shared a reusable setup for most of the scenes I want. I’d share a screenshot but I’d be posting my name and company I work for, which might be a stupid thing to do.

Definite must have for the AV geeks, although I’m guess the real AV geeks already know about this

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
I don't get the need for seeing faces. Can't the same meetings be held with just voice?

We have MSFT Teams in my company and I join meetings with voice only. No one ever asks me to turn my video on.

Now screen sharing or presenting is another story and that's where the technology can be used.
Agree re: voice. Phone conferences, court hearings, etc., have been handled telephonically for decades. Not sure why Zoom trumped all of that.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
So much information is conveyed with our facial expressions.

Most of the kids have their cameras off and the school says I can't force them to have it on but it compromises my ability to teach effectively.

If you don't care about effectiveness, it's actually easier to teach this way.

Reactions: Ifallalot
Dec 3, 2020
If the meeting is business, then no one has the right to detain you. But if you went to the voice chat to chat, why not click on a new link to continue communicating? You can also think through conferences. For example, write the meeting goals on a separate sheet and put them in the field of view. Or write goals and a topic in Notepad to not deviate from the subject in any case. As for weekly meetings, you can just read 32 Best Virtual Icebreaker Questions, which can enliven any online conference and make everyone talk with interest.

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
So much information is conveyed with our facial expressions.

Most of the kids have their cameras off and the school says I can't force them to have it on but it compromises my ability to teach effectively.

If you don't care about effectiveness, it's actually easier to teach this way.
when going virtual, you gotta keep it extra limbic

I liked GoToMeeting because they had really good built-in drawing tools

you can really draw someone's attention and hold it with simple stuff like that

also asking random audience members direct questions...like, holy fk, this guey might call on me, better pay attention

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
when going virtual, you gotta keep it extra limbic

I liked GoToMeeting because they had really good built-in drawing tools

you can really draw someone's attention and hold it with simple stuff like that

also asking random audience members direct questions...like, holy fk, this guey might call on me, better pay attention
I think it depends on your audience.

I would ask kids questions and they would not answer or say, "I don't want answer."

I have two friends who are not going back. They are staying online. They like the resource sparing aspects of it. I saved a ton of money teaching at home on gas and parking and food.

But I can't do it effectively.

It was okay.

But I am aiming for the fence.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I think it depends on your audience.

I would ask kids questions and they would not answer or say, "I don't want answer."

I have two friends who are not going back. They are staying online. They like the resource sparing aspects of it. I saved a ton of money teaching at home on gas and parking and food.

But I can't do it effectively.

It was okay.

But I am aiming for the fence.
Do those friends except to be able to keep their jobs forever?