Zoom Irish Bingo

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
About 100 years ago both my grandparents on my mother's side who didn't know each other yet independently emigrated here to New York from the Waterford area of Ireland, met here and married. We've only been to Ireland once, in 2008, and we met a lot of relatives whom we've kept in loose touch with on Facebook. One of my cousins was recently posting the Waterford Online Bingo - Dungarvan Football club's online Zoom Bingo on Facebook (her husband Colin calls the Bingo) - they usually had it in their clubhouse in the town of Dungarvan (on the coast -25 minutes from a surfing beach) but had to move it to a parking lot then online due to Covid.

So on their 6th week I messaged her that we would play and we did and it was really fun – it’s like you’re suddenly part of a small town in Ireland for a couple of hours on Sunday. They were very excited to have international players (which is something they hadn’t even considered) and they even put our picture in their paper. The following week, Christmas week, my other cousin from Ireland who lives in London heard about it so she played too and her mom from London and my mom with us and her cousins in their 80’s who she had only seen once all played too, saying hi to each other on Zoom, so the Bingo was in 3 countries that week. Then we had a lot of snow so I printed up their football team’s logo which I wore on my chest while playing and made them a snowman with the logo on it as well – which also made their local paper. And I wore my giant Panda suit once too.

Then they made me a member of their club and sent me a club jersey. This weekend, our ninth straight Sunday with them my son and his girlfriend of 3 years were with us. I asked her if her parents wanted to play from Detroit where they live and they did. We had never met them before so we met them on Zoom for the first time - via Ireland. Colin the Bingo caller of course told everyone how we were meeting the prospective in-laws for the first time – then he asked them 1. Are you loaded? 2. Will you pay for the wedding?

So its really been a lot of fun and re-connection with our family – who would have ever thought of something like that? When we can travel again I'm definitely going back to visit and to surf! Anyway if any of you want to play with us it’s on Facebook as “Waterford Online Bingo - it happens every Sunday at 2pm Eastern Standard Time – you can get on zoom at 1:45, eyes down at 2:15. It’s different than our Bingo and you call “Check” not “Bingo”. Here’s the link for this week – they call each Bingo Book a “Registration” and you can pay with a credit card. If you tell me you’ll be on I can give Colin a heads up and he’ll introduce you:
https://member.clubforce.com/memberships_cart_m.asp?LL_ID=1947&clb=1&fbclid=IwAR1GDwYMRQhyAC8PnmmXEiduxYNW8Bct8Sb2FygaBc6I4C4hj_qmTUoRB88
Dungarvan Snowman.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JBerry

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I LOVE this idea, Bingo with a bunch of Irish strangers, and PJ, on a Sunday afternoon. Very interested, will check out link and ping you if I am in

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah that would help, because A: I haven’t played bingo in 35 years and B: the lingo on that webpage may as well be Greek at first glance :roflmao:

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Yeah that would help, because A: I haven’t played bingo in 35 years and B: the lingo on that webpage may as well be Greek at first glance :roflmao:
It does look daunting the first time! o_Oo_O Just scroll to the bottom of the page and put in how many books you want - probably two single books - one for you and one for Mrs. Subway.

Anyone can play - Sundays at 2pm - you just have to buy your Bingo books from the Dungarvan AFC Football Club before 5 am NY time (all times I put here are NY time) on Sunday. Buy single books the first time - not double books. They will email your books and a link to the Zoom meeting to you around 7:30 am on Sunday morning. Print your books (printer set to 8 1/2" x 11" then "more settings" and set printer to "fit printable area" so they print correctly) Don't just print - use the settings I showed - it took me 10 pages of bad printouts to get that right :)(I suspect metric paper size in their PDF).
At 1:45 pm log into the Zoom meeting and you're all set! "Eyes Down" at 2:15 pm. Their Bingo cards are really different than ours so look up how to play Irish Bingo or I explain it below but it's really fun - probably better than ours I think.

Irish Bingo books are called "Registrations" each book is a separate "Registration" - I think it's a legal gambling term.
A single book prints out 9 "Cards" for 9 games (3 cards on each sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 paper, 3 sheets of paper). Each Card has 6 "Panels" defined by outlines. Spaces with no numbers in them are free spaces. The first column is only numbers 1 to 9 , second column 10 to 19 and so on going left to right across the card. So if he calls 11 it's in column 2 end of story - 83 - column 8 end of story, etc. and you will have one instance of every number he calls every time. So you're circling a number on each call.

There's 3 wins per game. First "one line" is any line straight across, second "two lines" is two lines straight across in the same panel, third, "Full House" 3 lines across in the same panel (there's only 3 lines in a panel). After that you're done with game 1 and card one.

When you think you have a win, unmute and say "Check". Don't go off half cocked though, there's time - Colin will see in the computer that there should be a check and He'll say so and he'll wait a bit for someone to say check. Also Colin's screen share will show the panel number that has a check - just look if you have that panel number. When a card ends that's time to get a beer or pee. It takes him a minute to set up the next card then even if he's called 3 numbers - all the numbers show on the screen so you just mark those 3 quick like and there you are all peed out maybe with a new beer too! It starts at 7pm their time so they've got the beer and wine going. Colin reminds everyone that its a PG show with kids in the houses. The kids are cute when they win though - they're so excited!

There's time to talk to each other a bit before "eyes down" at 2:15 - and there's a break after game 5.
you'll see you can buy a regular book for 10 Euro - that's the nine games. Then it will ask if you want a Quickie Book that's the optional quick 10th game - but its a separate registration.

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Maybe more confused now? I will investigate further, and text you if im lost lol

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I found myself laughing just now trying to read this! My wife is a bingo person but her regular weekly group didn't weather the shut down, Done. There was a time you wouldn't come on here and make light of this scene, but it sounds like good fun.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
I found myself laughing just now trying to read this! My wife is a bingo person but her regular weekly group didn't weather the shut down, Done. There was a time you wouldn't come on here and make light of this scene, but it sounds like good fun.
It has been sort of an amazing bright spot for us amidst this pandemic. Especially here in NY during the winter. Every Sunday we're sort of transported to another place, into their world - they all know each other - they say things a bit differently than we do and it's really fun to be a part of it. Colin will say things like "Mary?.... Mary Morrissey? Oh Mary, how's your cat?". There's a real spirit of community to it and playing every week reminds me of what its like to be part of a group engaged in recreation and fun. Ireland and England really had high Covid spikes around the holidays this year as the Covid variant got going so they locked down pretty severely. Its all school at home right now for them and the kids started really looking forward to Bingo on Sundays so now they started a kid's Bingo on Wednesdays and a kid calls it.

As adverse as things can get, it's wonderful to see how people can make the best of it.
Here's their club field on Google maps: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dungarvan+GAA+Club/@52.08408,-7.641553,549m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sDungarvan+football+club+waterford+ireland!3m4!1s0x0:0x408c46594526c71a!8m2!3d52.083756!4d-7.6402297