Your current two board quiver

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Been running a two board quiver for months without really thinking about it.

6’0(supposedly, no dims) twin fin (or single, has longboard box too) simmons thing i call “sunfish” from Dale Walker. ride in all waves pretty much every day. I’ll put my surfing on that board up against any other board in less powerful surf up to well overhead. It’s the fastest board in the water, up and moving. At least, it was before the 12th unrepaired ding…
You’d probably hate it, but i can turn it like a shortboard. No one else who’s tried it can keep the nose out of the water though, so ymmv

6’8 / 20 / 2.61 (that’s how it’s written, I don’t like it either) rusty blackbird. Mostly sits quiet in its bag under the sunfish. Used at the only reef with a consistent left barrel i know of around here. Sand has been fvcked in the channel though so this past season not much work for it.

quiver rebuild incoming, look for two sub 6’ chillis and the bb offered up as soon as i am emotionally ready to part with them.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
6’8 / 20 / 2.61 (that’s how it’s written, I don’t like it either) rusty blackbird.
It's a little funny if you order a 2 5/8 board but I'd rather see 2.61" on a board that's 2.61" thick than see 2 1/2" or 2 3/4" on a board that's 2.61". I mean if duuuus are scanning scrubbed blanks or using micrometers before they go to the glasser and writing down those accurate dims it's literally the least of the worries. More worried about how the red fades to orange and then yellow in the flame spray.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
It's a little funny if you order a 2 5/8 board but I'd rather see 2.61" on a board that's 2.61" thick than see 2 1/2" or 2 3/4" on a board that's 2.61". I mean if duuuus are scanning scrubbed blanks or using micrometers before they go to the glasser and writing down those accurate dims it's literally the least of the worries. More worried about how the red fades to orange and then yellow in the flame spray.
I’ve gotten by with fractions for this long and i see no reason to change. Point oh one of an inch ffs just put 3/5ths rusty

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
not intentionally given the number of boards stashed around here but been on a 2 board stamps rerun quiver for what seems like months.

6-2 and 6-6 w/ the occasional 7-6 stretch baby buzzgun in the mix. must still be not summer

Reactions: Aruka

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
@Sharkbiscuit what fins are you running in your PJHP?
Pretty much exclusively quad. Thruster once or twice to settle it down at very top end, and 80/20 or 70/30 quad rears once or twice to settle it down, again at very top end.

I was using the 15+ year old white fiberglass FCS GAM1 up front the vast majority of the time. True Ames CI large would work as well, both Merricks so extremely similar large size and lots of sweep.
Quad rears, almost always flat-foiled GL - log sidebites, or the GX.

Sometimes when a given beachbreak sandbar looked extra Lowersy and had a peeling pocket the whole way without a tendency to close or flatspot, I'd use a Greg Griffin quad set. Didn't generate speed like the big CIs and toned down the spicy skittery loose PJ feel some, but super controlled, predictable, smooth, etc.

Towards the end I fucked up one of the grub screw holes and had to go FCS2 up front. DHD and Pyzel larges. Still a fun shape but not as fun as with the big CIs. That plus a buckle = gone.

Reactions: ciscojaws

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Pretty much exclusively quad. Thruster once or twice to settle it down at very top end, and 80/20 or 70/30 quad rears once or twice to settle it down, again at very top end.

I was using the 15+ year old white fiberglass FCS GAM1 up front the vast majority of the time. True Ames CI large would work as well, both Merricks so extremely similar large size and lots of sweep.
Quad rears, almost always flat-foiled GL - log sidebites, or the GX.

Sometimes when a given beachbreak sandbar looked extra Lowersy and had a peeling pocket the whole way without a tendency to close or flatspot, I'd use a Greg Griffin quad set. Didn't generate speed like the big CIs and toned down the spicy skittery loose PJ feel some, but super controlled, predictable, smooth, etc.

Towards the end I fucked up one of the grub screw holes and had to go FCS2 up front. DHD and Pyzel larges. Still a fun shape but not as fun as with the big CIs. That plus a buckle = gone.
My Lost Retro fish is getting a little long in the tooth, opinion on replacing with a PJ?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
My Lost Retro fish is getting a little long in the tooth, opinion on replacing with a PJ?
I like the PJs but when they first came out a fair few posters didn't like theirs. I'd assume the Retro Fish has less slide to it but I've never ridden one. But for me the rocker + bottom are insane at speed generation. They can feel clunky and flat in curvy stuff.

Reactions: Aruka and mundus

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
My 2-boar quiver (at the moment)

View attachment 174451
I like the PJs but when they first came out a fair few posters didn't like theirs. I'd assume the Retro Fish has less slide to it but I've never ridden one. But for me the rocker + bottom are insane at speed generation. They can feel clunky and flat in curvy stuff.
did you ever try a glydra in your waves? Wasn’t that meant to be their ultimate graveler?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
7'0 egg based off a Takayama Howard Mini with added double concave through the fins 2 + 1
6'4 Ghost shapes Ghobra channel bottom round pin twin