Your current two board quiver

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
For Duval County, C4 or Black Dart Bean Bag, and (assume) poly PJ Pro.
I have C4 PJHP and it's a little chattery at what I'm guessing is the upper end of 6' faces, especially with the bump and in particular side/side-off NNW/N we often get. Buddy reviews of PJ Pro make it sound pretty dank.

This is for a soft zone with lots of log mush and very, very few days that are both ledgey and have water moving. Maybe NCSD is somewhat analogous, although O-side often looks like a very fun HPSB wave.
If it was for someplace with steeper surf with a tendency to wall/race, like South Brevard, it'd be C4/Black Dart OGPJ and poly OG Sub Driver roundtail or similar.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Been really digging a 6'4 Disco Cheater I picked up a couple months ago. Its amazingly good in everything from waist high to well overhead. I also have a 6'6 Disco I've been riding a lot but the Cheater IMHO is a better board......at least between the two I have. The Cheater rides great on any wave I can get into......its only limitation is wave catching which is part me. The Disco catches waves better but for me only works in waves up to chest high. In bigger waves the tail on my Disco wants to slide out.

View attachment 148300
Is your Disco a squash tail? I went swallow on mine and have yet to experience it sliding out. I have only ridden it as a quad though. It feels great and is definitely more high performance feeling with the narrower nose. It doesnt have quite the ease and glide of the DC and the overall rocker is still lowish so it doesnt handle quite as much power as a normal hpsb which is why I'd still pick the DC if I had to choose between the two.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Is your Disco a squash tail? I went swallow on mine and have yet to experience it sliding out. I have only ridden it as a quad though. It feels great and is definitely more high performance feeling with the narrower nose. It doesnt have quite the ease and glide of the DC and the overall rocker is still lowish so it doesnt handle quite as much power as a normal hpsb which is why I'd still pick the DC if I had to choose between the two.
Disco is a thruster squash tail. When I drop in on any wave that is head high or bigger that requires a bottom turn I get a sensation that the tail is foiling above the surface. Its particularly bad backside. The cheater doesn't do this at all. The Disco is a great board where I am getting to my feet and immediately pumping down the line to generate speed. When the waves do not require that sort of speed generation and require a bottom turn its just terrible. I started with a set of Large Performers in it then I put H4s in it which was an improvement. I did just buy a set of Large Carver fins to try in it but haven't ridden it with those yet.

Reactions: sdsrfr and Aruka

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
Disco is a thruster squash tail. When I drop in on any wave that is head high or bigger that requires a bottom turn I get a sensation that the tail is foiling above the surface. Its particularly bad backside. The cheater doesn't do this at all. The Disco is a great board where I am getting to my feet and immediately pumping down the line to generate speed. When the waves do not require that sort of speed generation and require a bottom turn its just terrible. I started with a set of Large Performers in it then I put H4s in it which was an improvement. I did just buy a set of Large Carver fins to try in it but haven't ridden it with those yet.
Get a plasmic and have it do both.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
For Duval County, C4 or Black Dart Bean Bag, and (assume) poly PJ Pro.
I have C4 PJHP and it's a little chattery at what I'm guessing is the upper end of 6' faces, especially with the bump and in particular side/side-off NNW/N we often get. Buddy reviews of PJ Pro make it sound pretty dank.

This is for a soft zone with lots of log mush and very, very few days that are both ledgey and have water moving. Maybe NCSD is somewhat analogous, although O-side often looks like a very fun HPSB wave.
If it was for someplace with steeper surf with a tendency to wall/race, like South Brevard, it'd be C4/Black Dart OGPJ and poly OG Sub Driver roundtail or similar.
What’s C4 again? Is that the cork deck? Still offered by lost or only through the BlackDarr guy in FL? How does it ride compared to EPS/epoxy and carbon?

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
2 boar not quite head high for me. 6'2" GG Hovercraft Twinzer/inline 3 and 6'6" OG Lost Driver.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13

I didn't picture gromsdad as a big guy. weird. Carry on

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
What’s C4 again? Is that the cork deck? Still offered by lost or only through the BlackDarr guy in FL? How does it ride compared to EPS/epoxy and carbon?
C3 is the exposed cork deck. C4 is that with glass above and I think below as well? I see it on lost's website and my homeboy ordered a PJ Pro in it in the Fall and got it turbo quick too, like 4-6 weeks? But he ordered at Catalyst Mel Beach and Drew is in St. Auggie zones, so not quite 2 hours down the road.

I think it's pretty light and poppy. Aviso, Corevac, C3, Lies Peed and Black Dart I would say might be a hair lighter and a bit flexier, Cabron Warp a hair lighter but a little stiffer? The Black Dart I bought used so maybe it had cooked a little, and the Corevac was a shaper personal and he rags his personals so it might have marinated in the sunny truck bed some?

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
C3 is the exposed cork deck. C4 is that with glass above and I think below as well? I see it on lost's website and my homeboy ordered a PJ Pro in it in the Fall and got it turbo quick too, like 4-6 weeks? But he ordered at Catalyst Mel Beach and Drew is in St. Auggie zones, so not quite 2 hours down the road.

I think it's pretty light and poppy. Aviso, Corevac, C3, Lies Peed and Black Dart I would say might be a hair lighter and a bit flexier, Cabron Warp a hair lighter but a little stiffer? The Black Dart I bought used so maybe it had cooked a little, and the Corevac was a shaper personal and he rags his personals so it might have marinated in the sunny truck bed some?
You like Black Dart better then Carbon Wrap? Didn't care for my Lightspeed. Thought I read somewhere Blak Dart not great for bigger guys? I sold my carbon wrap Rad Ripper and regret it. That thing was the best groveler I've had.
Been wanting to try a RR in that build from Drew.

Reactions: Aruka

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
You like Black Dart better then Carbon Wrap? Didn't care for my Lightspeed. Thought I read somewhere Blak Dart not great for bigger guys? I sold my carbon wrap Rad Ripper and regret it. That thing was the best groveler I've had.
Been wanting to try a RR in that build from Drew.
I have a Black Dart Bean Bag (also have a lightspeed) and a Carbon Wrap Baby Buggy. I am definitely on the Get In My Belly end of the size spectrum.

The Black Dart I would pick specifically for the Bean Bag, because it's a very short/thick/wide shape and that board is magic in textured logmush and so the slight flex feels good in small/weak surf, and maybe dampens little bumps a bit. Something like a Puddle Jumper for small waves would be another great choice. Maybe Hydra, similar. C3 could be good too, but I had an RV I didn't click with as the extent of my experience in that.

The Lightspeed Bean Bag is the next size up, an inch longer. It feels about as floppy new as the Black Dart did used - no idea how careful the Black Dart's previous owner was. I can say I left the Black Dart in a fairly warm-hot, but not completely baking, car one day for an hour or two and I don't think that helped it any.

The Baby Buggy or similar for a larger surfer I'd rather have Carbon Wrap. I could see Black Dart maaaybe feeling too floppy - I have seen some lightspeed shortboards in my dims and been a little leery of that build feeling floppy. The Carbon wrap has been to Mainland Mexico twice, eg at the mercy of baggage handlers, taxi roofs, and the bus's luggage compartment in terms of heat, and does not feel floppy at all.

Maybe Drew can do a bit stiffer layup or blank? Maybe Black Dart feels stiffer new and never cooked? I'd order a Black Dart in light colors no doubt.

Reactions: emmohl80