Your 1st Surf~Board!

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
I would have thought a used Midget Smith for you. Midget made some great grom boards. Or maybe a used RJ.

9’10” Ole here, well used (read beat to sh!t) when I got it in 1965. Cost $25, that’s 25 lawn mowings for you non boomers.
Kinda Funny because Thats where I got the board. Right on the corner of El Camino Real and Calle Valle. Were talking around '73. It was Velzy's shop at one point in the 60's. But the board wasnt a Grom Board. It was a Sunset gun. Weird. Handled DoHo like a Champ!

Last edited:

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
6’0 Twin keel fish by Steve Brom.
Nice. My first twin was a custom 5'10" Brom. I was surfing at Mesa Lane, happened to get it really good one day and the only other guys out were a father and son, the son was riding a Brom twin. I fell in love with the shape immediately and had to ride one.

Actually I can't remember if I had the Brom Twin or the Mandala quad first; definitely had them at the same time. I regret selling that Brom cuz it looked dope, but it's probably too big for me now.

I realize I have no pictures of any board I had before 2010 because that was when I first got an iPhone.

Last edited:

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
got a used 6'4 Steve Walden single fin for 30$ bought from neighbor Jeff Thomas with my paper route money. rode it for two years got my first tube ride in 8th grade on that board and then got a Takayama 6'0, next a Rusty P shaped Canyon bat tail twin fin, eventually got my first thruster from Mike Richardson "Electric Duck". the late 70s early 80s surfers went through the 1 - 2- 3 progression, single, twin, thruster, and it definitely influenced how we surfed, more drawn out less spastic I think.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
My first board was a 9'6" Hobie stock longboard in 1966.
8'0 Hansen Mini 50/50 was the second.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
6’2 used natural art. First new board was a siiiiick Cannibal that upped my game considerably but then it snapped in half in head high beach break

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
6'2" (?) Mike Diffenderfer twin fin, distinctive airbrush. Got stolen. I wish so bad I still had that board. Mike picked me up hitchhiking by the Pupukea Foodland one day and I told him about the board. He remembered it.

Bud

Nep status
Apr 20, 2001
Oahu
www.808surfer.com
my first board was around 1975 or 76, it was the front half of a broken Robert August gun, light green tint with pinline.. I hack sawed the broken end into a GIANT 'swallowtail'. length probably ended up about 4'10" with a 22" tail.. to fix the tail I used that dark green boat resin and must have 22oz cloth, the weave was like a chain link fence. The 'glassing' was a huge deadly mess kinda looked like the white part next to the guy's roller in this pic. Funny, the board was tinted similar color too
marine.jpg

Then I jigsawed the gnarliest 1/2" plywood fin (no foiling) and used the same glassing method to stick it on the bottom.