You WILL eat the snake

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

and they required less food (in terms of what’s known as feed conversion: the amount of feed to produce a pound of meat) than other farmed products, including chicken, beef, pork, salmon - and even crickets.

The snakes were fed a mix of locally sourced food, including wild-caught rodents, pork byproducts and fish pellets. They gained up to 1.6 ounces a day

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
How much Burmese python they serving up in Florida?

Taste like chicken?
No se/Je ne sais pas. The sheer amount of water and invasive freshwater fish readily available in the python's range in Florida probably negates demand. Your kid can ride his bike to a canal with half a slice of bread and come home with some tilapia to fry. I don't think those things are that easy to find in the daytime in populated areas.

Tastes like chicken
Snakes have long been prized in Asia, where they are used in traditional medicines, as well as in dishes such as Hong Kong’s famed snake soup. In recent years, snake farms have sprung up across Southeast Asia and China, catering to growing demand for snake meat and skins, used in luxury leather goods.

During his research, Natusch ate snake barbecued, sauteed on skewers, in curries and as jerky. He described the taste as similar to chicken, but a little more gamy.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
My son raves about frog legs. I've never tried it. I can't imagine snake tastes much different.
One time I had frog legs (Saigon in San Diego is a GREAT Vietnamese/Chinese restaurant - huge menu and cheap), they were good but effort/meat ratio isn't there. Yeah, both taste like chicken. :roflmao:

I've eaten a lot of different animals. Snake isn't one of them. I don't THINK crocodile but can't be sure. I do remember when I was a kid, that restaurant in Nairobi called the Carnivore was holding and I ate a shitload. Most the snakes I see around here are small, fast, and not worth the trouble. But some big fat rattler sunning itself? Would it ever see the shovel coming?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
My son raves about frog legs. I've never tried it. I can't imagine snake tastes much different.
I can. Turkey and chicken taste different and they're kind of similar-ish birds. Snakes are reptiles and frogs are amphibians.

Up there with Jackass Junction, now Yeehaw Junction (dang 1950s PC Florida Legislature) in the anals, I mean annals, of inland Vero Beach culture.

Reactions: Subway

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I can. Turkey and chicken taste different and they're kind of similar-ish birds. Snakes are reptiles and frogs are amphibians.

Up there with Jackass Junction, now Yeehaw Junction (dang 1950s PC Florida Legislature) in the anals, I mean annals, of inland Vero Beach culture.

How about Gator? Heard it was good.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
No snake for me please, but been watching a lot of this guys vids, crazy work and makes me happy to live in a deadly snake free environment

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
How about Gator? Heard it was good.
It’s one of those things that you eat after 2 caguamas of Victoria and a couple of shots of mescal. I’ve had both and neither was something to write home about. A couple of different kinds of snakes, Armadillo, yeah fvck dat. Don’t taste like chicken.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I had alligator stew once in NOLA. Tasted like chicken, I think. The whole stew was spicy and good.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
I used to have a job cleaning Rattlers for our chili and burger toppings at the Texas Paniolo Cafe in Punalu'u. It came frozen in bags. 3 footers. You thaw it and get your fingers under a piece of the meat on each side of the spine and just run them like a ribbon from one side to the other. Thats the Filet. Then you pick the meat of the ribs. Fry it up with oil and garlic and serve. Taste like shrimpy chicken or just garlic

Reactions: mundus and Chocki

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I’ve had rattlesnake chili. Tasted pretty damn good to me.

I have zero issue with a future filled with snake ranches. I’d rather eat a snake than a chicken. I mean let’s be honest here, anyone who’s ever actually processed their own chicken knows that we really aren’t meant to be eating those things.

Reactions: mundus and Chocki