YOLO and the 1099-K form

surf-shot.com

Nep status
Feb 10, 2008
www.surf-shot.com
Apologies if this topic has already been discussed. Please do your own research before filing taxes. I'm neither giving any advice nor claiming to know anything about finance and taxes but would like encourage affected parties to hunt for those receipts.

Third-party income reporting thresholds for 2022 have changed to $600 total per calendar year as part of American Rescue Plan Act of 2021. eBay, Paypal, Venmo and Facebook Marketplace will report transactions over $600 total per calendar year to IRS via form 1099-K. If a transaction is marked as a “Friends and Family” money transfer, it is not considered income and the transaction will not be included in a 1099-K form.

If you still have the original receipt from an item that you are selling used for less than you bought it for you should be golden. Burden of proof is on the taxpayer. If you’re selling an item for more than you bought it for, the distinction between a hobby and a business may be critical. For example, if you bought a bonzer for $750, rode it for a year and sold it for $700 and have your original receipt you should be good. If you bought that bonzer for $750 and sold it for $800 and you are a business, you’ll pay tax on $50. Same scenario but you’re a hobbyist and you may have to pay tax on all or part of $800. A cursory google search reveals quite a bit of contradictory information.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/self-employment-taxes/4-tax-tips-for-money-making-hobbies/L89qz1GNj

“Beginning in 2018, the IRS doesn't allow you to deduct hobby expenses from hobby income. You must claim all hobby income and are not permitted to reduce that income by any expenses.”

• Dislike
Reactions: parkiteric and JDJ

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Apologies if this topic has already been discussed. Please do your own research before filing taxes. I'm neither giving any advice nor claiming to know anything about finance and taxes but would like encourage affected parties to hunt for those receipts.

Third-party income reporting thresholds for 2022 have changed to $600 total per calendar year as part of American Rescue Plan Act of 2021. eBay, Paypal, Venmo and Facebook Marketplace will report transactions over $600 total per calendar year to IRS via form 1099-K. If a transaction is marked as a “Friends and Family” money transfer, it is not considered income and the transaction will not be included in a 1099-K form.

If you still have the original receipt from an item that you are selling used for less than you bought it for you should be golden. Burden of proof is on the taxpayer. If you’re selling an item for more than you bought it for, the distinction between a hobby and a business may be critical. For example, if you bought a bonzer for $750, rode it for a year and sold it for $700 and have your original receipt you should be good. If you bought that bonzer for $750 and sold it for $800 and you are a business, you’ll pay tax on $50. Same scenario but you’re a hobbyist and you may have to pay tax on all or part of $800. A cursory google search reveals quite a bit of contradictory information.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/self-employment-taxes/4-tax-tips-for-money-making-hobbies/L89qz1GNj

“Beginning in 2018, the IRS doesn't allow you to deduct hobby expenses from hobby income. You must claim all hobby income and are not permitted to reduce that income by any expenses.”

I;m getting a 1099-K but it wasn't profit or a business, it was losses from buying and selling hobby equipiment, which I would have 'receipts' of. so when you say you're good, and you;re getting a 1099K, what I don't get is are you not doing anything with the 1099-K and ignoring it when filing? or acknowledging that you got it on your taxes but marking somehow that wasn't for profit so you don't get taxed on it?

surf-shot.com

Nep status
Feb 10, 2008
www.surf-shot.com
I;m getting a 1099-K but it wasn't profit or a business, it was losses from buying and selling hobby equipiment, which I would have 'receipts' of. so when you say you're good, and you;re getting a 1099K, what I don't get is are you not doing anything with the 1099-K and ignoring it when filing? or acknowledging that you got it on your taxes but marking somehow that wasn't for profit so you don't get taxed on it?

surf-shot.com

Nep status
Feb 10, 2008
www.surf-shot.com
letz go brandon!

wasnt it 10k prior for reporting threshold?
"Form 1099-K was issued for third party payment network transactions only if the total number of transactions exceeded 200 for the year and the aggregate amount of these transactions exceeded $20,000. Now a single transaction exceeding $600 can trigger a 1099-K. "

Reactions: Havoc

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
So certain ERbbers that may or may not be government employees who buy quivers at a bulk discount then offload them individually at a profit might be paying taxes on their business now?

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Nah…I don’t know who @BobDobbalina is referring to. Would rather he just be more clear. But I don’t get discounts except for one brand due to the license holder being a longtime friend. I just have too much respect for the domestic industry and its board builders to ask for discounts. And if you‘ve seen the deals I share here on my boards, you’ll know it would be an utter failure of a business if it was one!:drowning: