YOLO ALERTS

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Some pics from bachelor party in Waco, so I guess a YOLO? There's no Waco thread.
I'm never going to Texas in July again. 100-105 degrees everyday and the pool was 94 degrees.
When you got 10 guys, everything is super affordable from staying on site at the Road House (sleeps 14, pool table, pool) to private sessions to hiring the onsite pro photographer. I highly recommend getting a big crew. So many laughs and group text is hilarious. Partied a bit, but nothing crazy. After surfing all day in 100 degree heat and eating BBQ, it's hard to rally when Baylor isn't in session no matter how much blow. Beers and joints then to bed.

5'4 Stretch Mr Buzz worked great with Controller quads.
Got a bunch of video too, trying to make a lil reel too.

The rumblings I heard from locals was that Doug Coors is going to open a Perfect Swell pool (same tech as Waco) in Austin.
Waco owners are tripping about it.
View attachment 159590
View attachment 159581
View attachment 159582
View attachment 159583
View attachment 159584
View attachment 159586
View attachment 159587
View attachment 159591
Screenshot_20230803_211730_Chrome.jpg

What has that poor guy done to you?

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
I sat with one of the owners moms at a Bday party a few weeks back. We chatted over cake and ice cream. She said they recently either built or renovated a new 5 bedroom house in Waco, and had another one built in Sayulita. They also still have their house in Encinitas. They are doing very well for themselves. No wonder they're trippin'.

Sounds like such a fun trip.

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
I was scrolling away waiting for the last shot where I thought you would throw someone under the bus kooking it. You're a better man than I.

Did you exchange digits with The Salsa?

• Haha
Reactions: racer1

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Bachelor party was a coincidence after I had gone the first time, so got to go twice.

Its probably gonna be a yearly or 2x yearly trip for me. I condensed it down to 3 day trip (leave Friday at 4pm and back home by Monday at 1pm). Surf 8+ hours in the pool, do 700 snaps in one weekend. I have a hook up on flights and accommodations that makes it very affordable, almost cheap actually. With a little one and another little one on the way, longer surf trips aren’t happening. My wife travels a lot for work so she likes me doing these trips (instead of longer ones).

As fun as it is, it’s an investment in your progress as well. I‘ve gotten noticeably better in the ocean after each trip. The ocean feels like it’s in slow motion and I’m at normal speed after each trip. The Waco wave is fast.
I did the same thing going to Lemore last 2 years with two under 4. Definitely a good option if you can't pull a real surf trip.

This year went to Salina. Wave pools are fun but was really stoked to get back to experiencing a different culture, food, etc. Then again probably is a similar experience for a Hawaiian going to TX.

The first few years fly by and once they get to kid phase its totally doable to bail on the fam for a week if your wife is cool.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I did the same thing going to Lemore last 2 years with two under 4. Definitely a good option if you can't pull a real surf trip.

This year went to Salina. Wave pools are fun but was really stoked to get back to experiencing a different culture, food, etc. Then again probably is a similar experience for a Hawaiian going to TX.

The first few years fly by and once they get to kid phase its totally doable to bail on the fam for a week if your wife is cool.
Thanks for the perspective. My wife is undoubtedly cool, so knowing a regular trip is doable is great to hear. I’m fine with the pool for the next few years. It’s fun and I’ve found some amazing food spots in Austin Waco that make it feel like a unique experience.

Reactions: MathDebater

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
rippahs! So, what boars did everyone think worked best in the pool?
Also, did you run into any of Noel's crew? Asa? Doc? LOL
Noel was in the pool the session before our last private sessions. I would have said what’s up but he exited the pool another way than I entered. I immediately recognized his style when he popped up on a left. He was riding an Akila twin, I think. I’m not positive on who Asa is but Noel had a couple people with him when the exited.

Everybody in my crew thought twins and quads went best, but nearly everybody in my crew was on Daniel Jones twins/quads so that’s probably why. Daniel was supposed to come as his wife is besties with the bachelors wife, but he had to understandably cancel. Nobody in the group liked thrusters eventhough some of them were ocean thruster guys.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I did three public sessions on rental boards. The first session I rode a sub driver and struggled. Had some good moments and my best turn but then I switched to a pj quad and it was miles better.

Reactions: racer1 and SD_Dan

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
While the pool isn’t cheap, I don’t view it as expensive. You get so many waves and its so easy to get in the pool and start ripping. Also going out to eat or groceries are so damn cheap compared to Hawaii or Coastal CA, so that makes it a cheaper trip. We are BBQ and tacos and a burger spot and every place was like $20 for an app, an entree and a beer (or comparable). Car rentals are pretty cheap in Austin. Flights to Austin are still pretty cheap imo (Only a couple hundred more than LAX).

If you stay off property, it can be very cheap, but even staying on property can be affordable - the cabins sleep three and are $220 a night. 5 min walk to the pool.

If you compare it to a international surf trip or a snowboarding trip or going to an NFL game, whatever bro trip, it’s comparable or even cheaper.

Planning one with my college friends for October 2024. Gonna try and catch a Baylor football game too - the stadium looks cool.

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii