Yesterday's loud boom (San Diego)

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I have decently thick modern windows and I watched them flex in.

In fact I saw it happen just as much as I heard it, if not more.

People say it was Camp Pendleton but WTF could have been exploded up there to cause something like that down here?

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
Ha! We heard it here in Enci. Lunchtime? Actually closer to 3, I was in LA all morning.
Told my wife it was a truck driving by, I actually believed it until I saw your post.
wtf is going on?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Sonic boom from maneuvers out to sea or test shelling at Camp P.?

On one of my trips to San Clemente I was surprised at the size of some of the explosions in the hills of Camp Pendleton.
From my Oceanside friend's backyard, some nights we'd watch the games in the hills of Camp P. Booms galore.

Last edited:
Reactions: npsp and tacos

noone999

OTF status
Sep 13, 2012
HI
Camp Pendelton has said "The camp had already warned the public that “firing of high powered ordinance” would be taking place between February 25 and March 5"

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Camp Pendelton has said "The camp had already warned the public that “firing of high powered ordinance” would be taking place between February 25 and March 5"
Yes.

That's 55 miles away from here.

WTF sort of ordinance would that be that would cause glass to flex like that from that far away?

I'm totally ignorant of this sort of stuff so that is what's making me curious.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1 Atmospheric conditions can bounce sound around quite a bit. We have some cold winter systems moving south lately that could be doing something. FWIW, when Mt St. Helen;s blew up, I was about 60 miles away and heard nothing. Some people 150 miles away heard it.

2 There are a few types of sound from touching off a round. The propellent going boom, the projectile going through the sound barrier, and when slowing from transonic velocity back under Mach 1, you get another crack.

3 Then there are some shells that explode before the target it reached to send another transonic burst (often plasma to torch through armor).

4 Then the target going up.

5 If they are testing the HiMARS rockets, perhaps the rockets at altitude are going transonic.

6 The BAE M777 cannons were (are?) tested at Camp P. and if they are trying to see how far they get a shell downrange....

7 Something new?

Last edited:

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
Yes.

WTF sort of ordinance would that be that would cause glass to flex like that from that far away?

A young man in an F-18 or F-35 will make that noise if going fast enough and pointed towards land.

This was a several time a day occurrence when I was a grom and before they started getting on the Navy’s case about the sonic booms.

You ought to hear/feel one from from about 40 yards away, it’s pretty f’n cool.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
When I was a wee lad in the woods and waters of eastern Long Island, we heard the daily crack of the Concorde at 8:30 am as it broke the sound barrier about 100 miles east of JFK, en route to London (or maybe Paris, but for some random reason I think it was the London bound route that carried right over the south fork)

anyway, on rare days (due to local atmospheric conditions no doubt) the crack would be more like a real bone chattering and china rattling explosion. Never saw glass bend inwards though. But there were times when it felt like a brief earthquake as opposed to its more usual distant lightning crack sound. Actually that doesn’t quite describe it…somewhere between a crack and a boom.

Concorde and Bucolic outdoorsy childhood: Both Done!

Reactions: Mr Doof and tacos

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Yes.

I had cracks from explosions in the large windows at my old place in Oceanside.
Replaced them twice in 8 years.

The explosions are quite common, Camp Pendelton and San Clemente Island.

Freedom isn't free. :poop:

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
Growing up in the 70's and 80's in Dana Point we lived right under the flight path of El Toro marine base, and to the south Camp Pendelton was blowing stuff up constantly, I loved it.

In 92 one of the oil refineries in Wilmington blew up, the explosion rattled our house worse than anything from Pendelton or jet flying over, it was gnarly.

At least 17 Texaco employees suffered minor injuries, including cuts and abrasions caused by flying glass and debris. One guard was knocked off her feet by the force of the explosion.

The explosion occurred about 9:45 p.m. Thursday in the hydrogen processing units of the 100,000-barrel-per-day Wilmington Refinery near the Port of Los Angeles.

The jolt was felt through a wide area of Los Angeles and Orange counties and the blaze gave the sky a bright orange glow that was visible for miles. Windows were blown out 2 miles away in Long Beach.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
A young man in an F-18 or F-35 will make that noise if going fast enough and pointed towards land.

This was a several time a day occurrence when I was a grom and before they started getting on the Navy’s case about the sonic booms.

You ought to hear/feel one from from about 40 yards away, it’s pretty f’n cool.
This. During the 70's they used to light it up just off of Torrey and every window would shake. Miramar used to deny deny deny that they were going supersonic just off the coast. It ended for a while when a base commander was having lunch at home one day when the neighborhood got rattled pretty good. He called the base anonymously to complain. When they start to deny any activity he identified himself and we had a few weeks of quiet...

• Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta