XTR Breakage?

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
One thing I would redo for a Kandui quiver is have two of my favorite board, with one slightly more volume. Say 30L and 32L. Enough so I can feel the paddle difference but still feels like the same board. Some of those lefts can have a pretty grinding current. We didn’t surf them a bunch but people came back gassed. If we’d done that for a week straight, 2 sessions a day arms would have been noodles. You don’t want a step up, because once you’re up, you don’t need it (most days) but would have helped on the treadmill. Plus if you snap one you kinda still have one.

Reactions: santacruzin

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Good info! Since I surf in New England, winter gear etc. my boards are little higher volume [really need the winter quiver and tropical quiver] , 33L for HPSB and my twin fin is ~36L. So per your suggestion I might hang around that literage if I grab another board. Had been thinking of going down a little 31L, since I am expecting the waves to offer some elevator drops.

Apr 17, 2024
from far yet near
Some thing to consider is I had never broken a board any construction until i got caught inside on a barreling reef in tropical place. Regardless of construction wave bareling you caught inside board snap but one thing grateful I held on with duck dive and did not bail my board saving my self from becoming part of the reef:drowning:

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Some thing to consider is I had never broken a board any construction until i got caught inside on a barreling reef in tropical place. Regardless of construction wave bareling you caught inside board snap but one thing grateful I held on with duck dive and did not bail my board saving my self from becoming part of the reef:drowning:
Oh what a feeling that must have been...

Nice profile pic!

Reactions: terdroamer

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
One thing I would redo for a Kandui quiver is have two of my favorite board, with one slightly more volume. Say 30L and 32L. Enough so I can feel the paddle difference but still feels like the same board. Some of those lefts can have a pretty grinding current. We didn’t surf them a bunch but people came back gassed. If we’d done that for a week straight, 2 sessions a day arms would have been noodles. You don’t want a step up, because once you’re up, you don’t need it (most days) but would have helped on the treadmill. Plus if you snap one you kinda still have one.
Good advice here.
You really dont need a lot of board when riding. Its all based on your skill confidence and fitness.

It is nice to have some volume at some spots.
Like when that current at bankvaults is pulling you into the impact zone and you are gassed :roflmao:

My favorite indo board is my 29 liter CI black Beauty. PU with S glass. Took a couple XTR tomos my first trip. Those wont make it in the bag anymore.

PU thrusters all day.

Apr 17, 2024
from far yet near
Good advice here.
You really dont need a lot of board when riding. Its all based on your skill confidence and fitness.

It is nice to have some volume at some spots.
Like when that current at bankvaults is pulling you into the impact zone and you are gassed :roflmao:

My favorite indo board is my 29 liter CI black Beauty. PU with S glass. Took a couple XTR tomos my first trip. Those wont make it in the bag anymore.

PU thrusters all day.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I guess I'm going to bring the boards I hate then.

Good to know thanks. Expecting some breakage, got XTR, Epoxy build & two PU with 6/4/6 glassing + thickest stringers.
Resort has great rentals so I think I'll be fine if my XTR Rusty Rooster breaks, but if the boards are all taken, I am left with the step up (Slayer 2) or Rusty Twin fin, which has worked great in some consequential waves, not Ments of course, and not sure I have the confidence to ride the twin on those waves, but maybe(?)...we'll see.

If I swap something out to make room for another HPSB the Pyzel Radius Prime looks pretty attractive or me being a Rusty fan the SD RT or perhaps the "What"
sorry to jump in here, but never bring boards you hate on a super surf trip!! Wouldn't you rather break multiple boards that worked great for a little while than have crappy boards that last the whole trip???

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
sorry to jump in here, but never bring boards you hate on a super surf trip!! Wouldn't you rather break multiple boards that worked great for a little while than have crappy boards that last the whole trip???
100%

Always bring your favorite boards.

ALWAYS.

if they don't survive, get another made. But don't go on a surf trip with boards you don't like or don't know. People here seem to lean into the "boards they don't know" camp when going on trips. Don't go around the world to have to figure out a new board. Got to figure out a new wave on a board you know and love.

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
Sounds like Hideaways. Bro jumped off the boat and went 10 meters in like two seconds Haha. When the tide switches, it's a beast to keep paddling just to stay in the line up. He paddled almost non stop for 55 minutes while dipping under 6 footers. Photog girl was white knuckling the boat while she was trying to put on her fins. I decide to pass and went to another spot. LOL

• Haha

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
I was just farking around = break the one's I hate, and of course bring the best boards! That is why I just picked up the Pyzel Radius Prime to double up on a HPSB.

Last edited:

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Sounds like Hideaways. Bro jumped off the boat and went 10 meters in like two seconds Haha. When the tide switches, it's a beast to keep paddling just to stay in the line up. He paddled almost non stop for 55 minutes while dipping under 6 footers. Photog girl was white knuckling the boat while she was trying to put on her fins. I decide to pass and went to another spot. LOL
Ahh hideaways
low tide you can practically hit a coral head while riding a wave, high tide you get to deal with a fucking rushing river current