XTR Breakage?

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Curious if anyone has ever had XTR construction break, like a normal PU board. Primary HPSB for upcoming Ments trip is XTR, not sure I need a back up HPSB in case it breaks.
-currently the quiver is set, but if it breaks, high performance twin or step up would be the default replacement.

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I had a SciPhi 2 (SP2) snap in half at Oside harbor. It was the XTR with the blue foam down the middle with a carbon arrow on top and bottom glassed team light.

Had the buckle fixed then sold it for a couple hundred bucks. The only board I've ever snapped in my entire surfing career.

lol.IMG_8103.JPG

Last edited:

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
I had a SciPhi 2 (SP2) snap in half at Oside harbor. It was the XTR with the blue foam down the middle with a carbon arrow on top and bottom glassed team light.

Had the buckle fixed then sold it for a couple hundred bucks. The only board I've ever snapped in my entire surfing career.

lol.View attachment 178475
Jeez, yeah I have yet to snap a board in half, alright maybe I will spring for a new HPSB...subconsciously maybe I want to anyway!

surfcheck101

Nep status
Apr 9, 2006
South of the Border
I have 5 differant XTRs I use in constant rotation (I live in Southern Baja) and have never creased, broke or buckled one yet. Have in both sringer and carbon. IMO very strong build. Also a plus if you get a ding you can just keep surfing, as its closed foam and doesnt absorb water (dont ask me how I know).

Reactions: JDJ

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
I've had a few over the years with different constructions/ builds, haven't broken one. Only time I crumpled the nose on one is when some old lady backed over it with her car.

Reactions: JDJ

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
i busted a few inches of the nose off one of those lightly glassed blue foam stringered XTR's.

anything can break. personally I've only ever broken lightly glassed PU's.

my good surfing buddy breaks everything. Coil, Stretch, XTR, doesn't seem to matter. usually only after they have been beaten up and poorly repaired. like he broke his wood stringered XTR only after he had his FCS freedom leash saw it nearly in half. it broke right at the repair.

Reactions: MathDebater and JDJ

tomminator123

OTF status
Dec 22, 2017
I have a friend who’s spent the last year split between the Philippines and Indo and said he’s snapped all his boards besides his wood stringered XTR

Reactions: JeffRSpicoli

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Broke the nose off of one - it was my own fault. High tide shore pound surf with no leash.

Broke at around the 1' mark. That is user error. Beyond that, i've had a number of XTR boards and zero buckles or snaps.

Mind you, I've snapped a few PU boards in my day.

I even buckled a Danny Hess gun, but he repaired that. So keep in mind - any type of construction can break. The odds of it happening decrease with XTR's construction, in my opinion.

So to make a long story short, what I'm really trying to say is: I like boobs.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
They are very tough to break, especially a wood stringer with 8.0 (whatever number they’re now using) glassing.

But ive seen guys break all sorts of constructions over the years on this forum including Coils and Stretch legacy. But some constructuons are far more resilient than others.

Makoman

OTF status
Jun 23, 2003
North East
I folded a parallel carbon surprisingly easy but totally my fault. I brought it back to them to fix, they did an excellent job, and it works better than before. A little extra weight or pixie dust I guess.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Haven’t broken a bort in ten years and have been mostly riding stringer-less Varials and two XTR’s during that time. The last bort to break was a PureGlassed FutureFlex, but I think a triple stringered 6oz would have broken that day. I used to break four to five a year when I was riding stringered PU’s, but I was also going for a lot more jumps when I was a young buck.

Reactions: Aruka
Oct 5, 2021
5-6’ plus Ments will eat any construction for breakfast if you are in the wrong place wrong time which for your average surfer is more than likely to happen at least once on the trip. Some guys go through 3 boards in a trip. I’ve been lucky every time I’ve been to Indo to come back with all my boards in one piece but watched a bunch get snapped. Tougher construction build is a good idea, at least for one or two in your bag

Reactions: santacruzin

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
5-6’ plus Ments will eat any construction for breakfast if you are in the wrong place wrong time which for your average surfer is more than likely to happen at least once on the trip. Some guys go through 3 boards in a trip. I’ve been lucky every time I’ve been to Indo to come back with all my boards in one piece but watched a bunch get snapped. Tougher construction build is a good idea, at least for one or two in your bag
I guess I'm going to bring the boards I hate then.

Good to know thanks. Expecting some breakage, got XTR, Epoxy build & two PU with 6/4/6 glassing + thickest stringers.
Resort has great rentals so I think I'll be fine if my XTR Rusty Rooster breaks, but if the boards are all taken, I am left with the step up (Slayer 2) or Rusty Twin fin, which has worked great in some consequential waves, not Ments of course, and not sure I have the confidence to ride the twin on those waves, but maybe(?)...we'll see.

If I swap something out to make room for another HPSB the Pyzel Radius Prime looks pretty attractive or me being a Rusty fan the SD RT or perhaps the "What"

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020

Good to know thanks. Expecting some breakage, got XTR, Epoxy build & two PU with 6/4/6 glassing + thickest stringers.
Resort has great rentals so I think I'll be fine if my XTR Rusty Rooster breaks, but if the boards are all taken, I am left with the step up (Slayer 2) or Rusty Twin fin, which has worked great in some consequential waves, not Ments of course, and not sure I have the confidence to ride the twin on those waves, but maybe(?)...we'll see.

If I swap something out to make room for another HPSB the Pyzel Radius Prime looks pretty attractive or me being a Rusty fan the SD RT or perhaps the "What"
Have you ridden the Rusty Miso? If so, how did you like it?

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014

I love my rusty SD RT

Reactions: JeffRSpicoli