Xanadu Xank - review - wow

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Best all-around board I've had in memory. Knee-chest is where it seems to excel, can handle up to head high with push.

- great paddler
- gets into waves so easy
- handles all wave types, mushy or curvy, and does so well
- pushes back
- nice and loose where it should be off the bottom, free and loose off the top or can hold a rail depending on rider input. very predictable.
- something to note is the tail pulls in pretty fast near the side fins so that the tail block itself is actually a little less wide than some good waves boards.

Wave type
- seems to work in everything, I've surfed it in fun beachbreak, reefs, and imperfect point surf. performed flawlessly in all situations - I haven't had an instance where I felt I was on the wrong board.
- the low rocker still seems to fit everywhere, even curvy and hollow I didn't have to think twice

Fins (Futures)
- first rode with DHD large sides and a DHD medium center fin. At my size - 145lbs - felt turbocharged. Could take off wayyyy deep, but board was not loose enough off the bottom hit the lip at the more vertical angle I wanted. Still would use this combo in mushy and/or sectiony point surf, or any weak not top to bottom wave where hitting the lip isn't really an option. Air guys would really like this combo in all conditions though, I think heavier guys in the 160-165 lb range might like this combo all-around too.
- now usually riding the full set of DHD mediums at my size they work pretty great, especially in the waist-chest zone. Knee high zone needs a little curve/push to get going with these fins.

Perfect board for average playful California days. Would be an excellent daily driver for East Coast surf too.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Looks fun despite recommended dims looking all jacked up.

Did you order custom? What size and how does it compare to your better wave board and groveler (if you have one)

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Custom

5'7 x 18.88 x 2.27 23.8L

1 inch shorter than my normal or good waves HPSB - typical dims 5'8 x 18.25 x 2.25 23.8L

I don't own a true groveler.

This is my groveler, it is not pure groveler, I basically wanted something for weak everyday surf (think an average crummy day at Scripps) where my HPSB would be lacking, or waves without too much curve, but it has proved to be much more versatile.

A few clips

http://instagr.am/p/Bz9FIkin0iI/
http://instagr.am/p/B4QWj5dnHuv/

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
how tall are you? got pictures of the board?

I've also been thinking on abandoning the "groveler" concept and riding more normal looking outlines in the everyday beachbreak that I surf.

Reactions: sd_101 and Havoc

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
how tall are you? got pictures of the board?

I've also been thinking on abandoning the "groveler" concept and riding more normal looking outlines in the everyday beachbreak that I surf.
+1 I've got pretty much every size board from 5'7 grovelers to 6'1 HPSB's. Grovelers have their place but I think they can make you lose your edge if you ride them too much. Thigh-Waist I'm switching to a daily driver most times. I see way too many guys on them in fun waves surfing on the shoulder instead of in the pocket.

Ordered a 5'11.5" Xank and a 6'1 Viper last week stocked :shaka:

Reactions: retodd and Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
+1 I've got pretty much every size board from 5'7 grovelers to 6'1 HPSB's. Grovelers have their place but I think they can make you lose your edge if you ride them too much. Thigh-Waist I'm switching to a daily driver most times. I see way too many guys on them in fun waves surfing on the shoulder instead of in the pocket.
Ditto on the grovelers making you lose your edge, I'm wanting to ride a regular shortboard at waist high and bigger.

Ordered a 5'11.5" Xank and a 6'1 Viper last week stocked :shaka:
The boards complement each other really well, you should be able to go from one to the other no problem.

Reactions: Ifallalot

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
So the stank is family 1 boar so flatter tail rocker more entry curve. So basically a flyer
The rocker is the same style.

I've never ridden a Flyer, but from what I've seen and felt they are pretty different boards and the Xank would probably cover more bases in the weak surf category due to having a bit more width.

Flyer also has single to double with vee, Xank is a single all the way through.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Casa how deep is the concave? Did u msr the rocker?
Concave is what I would consider moderate single running from nose to tail.

I don't have anything to measure rocker - I can say it's one of the more beautiful rockers I've seen. Obviously on the flatter side but really sexy.