WTB: Surfite slabs near N County SD?

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
Hi Guys,
I want to try to make a few things out of "surfite" - (is that what layers of colored diff colored glass pulled from glassing room floor?) - wondering if anyone near oceanside has any for sale?

not looking for huge pieces - want to make a few tool handles.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I saw on their Insta stories a few weeks ago, Joe Ropers pulled up several inches of the stuff from their floor. They do a lot of color work. It looked cool- I'm sure you could make some interesting stuff.
So, I'd try the glass shops around like Moonlight/CC, maybe Rusty. I think Pyzel has a factory in Oside. Machado uses a lot of resin swirls done at 760 Glassing. I know Josh Hall does a lot of colored boards in his space off Morena. Bob Mitsven is near there too. Might be worth emails places like that directly. Good luck.

Reactions: xmesa

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Hi Guys,
I want to try to make a few things out of "surfite" - (is that what layers of colored diff colored glass pulled from glassing room floor?) - wondering if anyone near oceanside has any for sale?

not looking for huge pieces - want to make a few tool handles.

Somebody does something like that on insta. Is it Hobie's son?

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
That's it. I knew I was close
^ that was the inspiration, his designs are so cool.

I saw on their Insta stories a few weeks ago, Joe Ropers pulled up several inches of the stuff from their floor. They do a lot of color work. It looked cool- I'm sure you could make some interesting stuff.
So, I'd try the glass shops around like Moonlight/CC, maybe Rusty. I think Pyzel has a factory in Oside. Machado uses a lot of resin swirls done at 760 Glassing. I know Josh Hall does a lot of colored boards in his space off Morena. Bob Mitsven is near there too. Might be worth emails places like that directly. Good luck.
Thank you. I'll call around to those guys and see if they have any to sell off. I kinda expect that stuff to be spoken for... but it can't hurt to ask!