WSL - Over

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Coastal RE in Hawaii starts at 1M plus for a dump. Same for CA. Then at least $10K a year minimum for Prop tax and maint.

How many pro surfers made anywhere near that in career earnings?
maybe it's different in Aus but I'm surrounded by 'em.

within spitting distance of me is Adam Melling.

middling pro career, backmarker. is in a home he probs paid $600000 for that is now worth 2 mill +. Big boat out front.

if he was smart he paid it off early with winning and sponsorships. was prolly making 500K for a few years.

edit: he's no trustfunder nor are most Aussie pros.

Soli Bailey had his beachside pad before he was even on Tour.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Coastal RE in Hawaii starts at 1M plus for a dump. Same for CA. Then at least $10K a year minimum for Prop tax and maint.

If by earnings you mean contest winnings, not all that many, but if you mean the sum of endorsements and contest winnings, over a career, quite a few of those who had decent tour runs over the last 20 years.

In 2006 you got $44k/year for getting dead ass last in every contest. Then throw in the higher rated WQS contests everyone except guys who made $1M/year did, and sprinkle a clothing sponsor on top.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
That's what I was thinking. No shortage of people wanting to go to Hawaii. Someone else would rent those houses. Though maybe you say prices go down some due to slightly less demand.
The hope is that the airbnb rules change around short-term rentals and relative lack of tourism will drive the owners to rent their places out to long term tenants. If they can't afford the mortgage off renting to tenants then they'll be forced to sell. Also good news imo. If the pro tour dies suddenly a lot less people are gonna be showing up to fork over $5000 for a house. That travel budget goes a lot further elsewhere.

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
The real money is in the long-term endorsements... I don't really see that changing much, given the fact that most of the audience is reached via instagram these days. I dont think that many people even watch the contests, most people buying wetsuits/boards/fins/whatever watch freesurf vids or clips on instagram for surf content

But like someone mentioned above, maybe these guys could buy oceanfront 10 years ago when it was 600k, but if its 1-2m now for a dump then its going to be harder to pull off for 99% of the pros

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015

You can afford that on 100-120k per year.

Lots of pros make that if you include all their sponsorship money from different sponsors. One big sponsor usually pays a retainer of about 50-75k per surfer with bonuses. Add in a few little sponsors of 10k each and you’re there.

They might not make it on career earnings from contests but they could def get a mortgage and pay for a home.

Then you get roommates and save money and you’re fine.

Last edited:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
The hope is that the airbnb rules change around short-term rentals and relative lack of tourism will drive the owners to rent their places out to long term tenants. If they can't afford the mortgage off renting to tenants then they'll be forced to sell. Also good news imo. If the pro tour dies suddenly a lot less people are gonna be showing up to fork over $5000 for a house. That travel budget goes a lot further elsewhere.
Yea well the real estate market is crazier then it’s ever been.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
You can afford that on 100-120k per year.

Lots of pros make that if you include all their sponsorship money from different sponsors. One big sponsor usually pays a retainer of about 50-75k per surfer with bonuses. Add in a few little sponsors of 10k each and you’re there.

They might not make it on career earnings from contests but they could def get a mortgage and pay for a home.
sure they can secure a loan. but year 6 when theyre dated and big 75k/yr sponsor says thanks bro but yeah no late.

then what? pull some equity and airbnb the bitch. post up in indo start a vlog get a van go to mex sleep under the pier...

what could go wrong?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
sure they can secure a loan. but year 6 when theyre dated and big 75k/yr sponsor says thanks bro but yeah no late.

then what? pull some equity and airbnb the bitch. post up in indo start a vlog get a van go to mex sleep under the pier...

what could go wrong?
Get a job and figure it out.

Wassel is doing just fine.

So is Healy and others.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
never forget talking to this blonde haired kid and his sister one day at Ballina when they first came here.

he was 17-18 about to go on the QS, she hadn't even started, was 14-15.

Surfed great, but didn't blow my mind.

Met the Dad, he was a plumber, ordinary bloke.

Next year Owen Wright stormed the QS and a handful of CT's as a wildcard, and Tyler won a comp as a 14 yr old.

both were on 1.25m a year contracts with Rip Curl before that year was over.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Get a job and figure it out.

Wassel is doing just fine.

So is Healy and others.
Ross Williams started investing in real estate out here in the late 90's when he was earning. Smart dat buggah Waialua High. Pancho did well, Briley too (Kahuku grads must've listened to somebody). Jack Johnson just strums his guitar and shits on them all. Still gets any wave he wants at Rockies and surfs it better than most, too.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Ross Williams started investing in real estate out here in the late 90's when he was earning. Smart dat buggah Waialua High. Pancho did well, Briley too (Kahuku grads must've listened to somebody). Jack Johnson just strums his guitar and shits on them all. Still gets any wave he wants at Rockies and surfs it better than most, too.

Exactly. Can find ways to continue if you aren’t a moron.

Lot of people just like to hate.

What does briley do now anyway

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
...then what? pull some equity and airbnb the bitch. post up in indo start a vlog get a van go to mex sleep under the pier...

what could go wrong?
For one thing I could wake up and go check the pier to surf rights and high tide lefts all to myself only to find about 6 dozen Mexicans packed ilike sardines holed up in hammocks beneathe MY American pier like a big breathing ball of brown love-fiesta come siesta.
I like those people though, generally a good culture if you ask me. They do like their Girls a bit young by our standards, but they don't surf. Gotta love that!

Reactions: buttholesurfer

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
maybe it's different in Aus but I'm surrounded by 'em.

within spitting distance of me is Adam Melling.

middling pro career, backmarker. is in a home he probs paid $600000 for that is now worth 2 mill +. Big boat out front.

if he was smart he paid it off early with winning and sponsorships. was prolly making 500K for a few years.

edit: he's no trustfunder nor are most Aussie pros.

Soli Bailey had his beachside pad before he was even on Tour.
Soli Bailey deserves 10 beach houses for surviving his Dad

• Haha
Reactions: racer1

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I like these new citizens. I think there should be a wall, but I like these emigrate s and I hope they find a better life without diminishing some of my own.
If I have white privilege, and to an extent I musy but don't demand I share or relinquish my privilege, it is mine, just like black guys have bigger peeney-weenies try and take that away!

Attachments