Would a millennial take a surf lesson looking for validation?

Topazslider

OTF status
Jan 9, 2018
There is the adult learner who used to tag along with me that had their own idea of how they thought they would learn how to surf. I figured this out since sometimes I would give them advice but was met with that "who are you to give me advice" expression.
So after their method failed, all the while posting GoPro stills of that one second they popped up on their board to their IG feed and blogging about how good they surf, that person asked me about taking a lesson. So I recommended the most chill and positive reinforcing instructor in the area.
So this person scheduled a lesson and I decided to paddle out nearby to watch between waves and when I paddled in I heard the instructor shout in the most uplifting and positive voice that the point of surfing is not to go straight.
After the lesson this person was so bummed and depressed. I thought they were going to dump their cut out in the bin. It wasn't like one of those "the team lost the big game" downers, but one with some anger, like "who the f*ck is that person to tell me how I surf."
Is that a millennial thing to seek out validation or just some self-esteem thing?

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I'd say Millennial's are used to life-hacking anything and everything, but you simply cant life-hack surfing.

The adult learner you describe sounds like a child.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
It dosen't matter how many lessons you take or who you take them from.

The bottom line. In this world.

Nobody is just going to give you waves.

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
Im all for this. It means they wont ever get good enough to compete for waves seriously in the lineup. God bless this mindset.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
cdes said:
Im all for this. It means they wont ever get good enough to compete for waves seriously in the lineup. God bless this mindset.
Seriously. Beginners in the lineup are much better than a bunch of pros. My respective wave count agrees.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Mr Doof said:
Ego doesn't know generational tendencies, so more the latter option than the former.
Yup

Kento said:
cdes said:
Seriously. Beginners in the lineup are much better than a bunch of pros. My respective wave count agrees.
Yup yup yup!

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
It’s hard to learn new skills as an adult

Most dudes (especially dudes) have too much pride to suck at something for a long period of time

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
i received surf lesson around 1989. it was a program through the City of Oceanside on the north side of the pier.

our instructor was a burn out, moon doggie guy and he said:

1. draw line in the sand.

2. lay on the line.

3. stand up.

okay - have fun.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
a millenial would sign up for this:

https://www.worldsurfleague.com/tickets

that's why the WSL created it

that's how millenials get vaiidated

but then again they have a case:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
what comes after gen z
Do we all start over again?
Or is it like AA versus A

Did someone think far ahead enough to think beyond A-Z?

Or is Gen Z the end of the road?

could be
the way things are going

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
oneula said:
what comes after gen z
Do we all start over again?
Or is it like AA versus A

Did someone think far ahead enough to think beyond A-Z?

Or is Gen Z the end of the road?

could be
the way things are going
Think of it like a working title. Millennials were Generation Y for the longest time.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
bird. said:
Bruh, stop piling on millennials. Fortnite is a Gen Z thing.
sh!t, Gen Z and beyond. Unless my son is Gen Z

My point is Fortnite is for little kids