Worst surf trip

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
feralseppo said:
Probably 1989, drove down Baja past Guerro Negro and out to the tip of the little peninsula where Isla Natividad sits. Took my buddy's station wagon, got stuck in the sand at Bahia Tortugas. A bunch of drunk Mexicans came running over and pushed us out. Hired a fishing boat to take us to Isla Natividad. Totally skunked. Micro surf, super windy, hot. To boot, one of my friends some how got into a scrap with some of the kids on the island and they started hurling rocks at us. A peace treaty was made with some nudie mags. Fun trip anyways because it was Baja.
I'm still hellbent on a solo mission down there, one of these days. Despite the fact I always imagine the trip turning out something like that.

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
My first trip to Fiji, July 2005. Went with 10 or 12 friends, half who didn't surf. Stayed at someone's timeshare, traveled around the island looking for waves and stumbled into a few spots, but only 3 or 4 of us were gung-ho about surfing. Bumped down a road and chartered a boat to Sigatoka rivermouth, probably the best waves of that trip. We chartered a boat one afternoon to take us out to Namotu on the Saturday shift change. Got one session, windy. Did some scuba diving. BBQ'd at the resort timeshare place. Played tourist a lot. Wound up having kava with one of the village chiefs and telling them that the Marriott was going to bulldoze the mangroves if they didn't speak up. They didn't seem to grasp the concept. Had to buy a carton of cigarettes for the chief. Watched frog races and drank lots of beer in the afternoons.

Overall it was fun, but I wouldn't call it a surf trip. It was a trip that had some surfing. Still, it made the following trip much easier. Hope to get back one day.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Weekend trip to Fistral beach in Cornwall UK.

I was living in landlocked part of England, but took a 3 week trip to Australia. Upon returning, I took a long weekend surf trip to Cornwall and the contrast in conditions hit me so hard, that I threw a hissy fit and took up racing downhill mountain bikes instead, only surfing on holidays every 2 years when I visited South Africa.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
One of my many trips to the Outer Banks. Arrived around 4:00 to sunny skies, warm water and waves. The next morning it started raining. Rained sideways with 30 to 55 mph winds for the next 7 days. Ocean was a giant washing machine the whole trip. Watched the tip of the Avon Pier get wrecked from our deck. Sun emerged and the wind shifted as we were driving through Nags Head on our way home.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
freeride76 said:
grapedrink said:
manbearpig said:
Did you surf cloud 9 in the Philippines?
No, I was south of there. Probably the most competitive spot in the country, but could be worth a trip. Pretty easy to find far less crowded options though.

Baler?
I think you’ve got your map upside down, must be from being down under :hat: Shoot me a pm if you’re curious, don’t want to blow it out publicly :cookin:

The Trashman

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 22, 2009
Honeymoon in the Maldives. Didnt get over waist high, and apparently you couldnt just paddle out, had a to pay a boat like $200 to take out 500 yards...

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
grapedrink said:
freeride76 said:
grapedrink said:
manbearpig said:
No, I was south of there. Probably the most competitive spot in the country, but could be worth a trip. Pretty easy to find far less crowded options though.

Baler?
I think you’ve got your map upside down, must be from being down under :hat: Shoot me a pm if you’re curious, don’t want to blow it out publicly :cookin:
yeah yeah. spent a lot of time in the Phillos, from Mindanao to Luzon.
lots of waves,easy to get skunked.

lots of commies with guns in the mountains.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
grapedrink said:
freeride76 said:
grapedrink said:
manbearpig said:

Baler?
If you're heading to the Cloud 9 area a mate of mine has a nice little place with a few bungalows not far from there with waves in close proximity. I've haven't been yet. He's over there often surfing and working on improvements to the place. Shoot me a PM for contact info.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
freeride76 said:
yeah yeah. spent a lot of time in the Phillos, from Mindanao to Luzon.
lots of waves,easy to get skunked.
lots of commies with guns in the mountains.
Yep, sounds like you know the spot, and we probably covered a lot of the same ground :beer: Not a secret once you are there, but still off the radar to most. The former owner of Badoc Island Surf Resort had just posted up there (I last went in 2007) after being shot and chased out of his own resort by the locals. Sounded like he was doing some shady stuff, i.e. greasing palms in order to make it a private pay-to-play resort. Problem is there are too many palms in those parts.

Retropete said:
If you're heading to the Cloud 9 area a mate of mine has a nice little place with a few bungalows not far from there with waves in close proximity. I've haven't been yet. He's over there often surfing and working on improvements to the place. Shoot me a PM for contact info.
Thanks for the offer :cheers: If I find myself divorced and unemployed I'll take you up on that :roflmao: :drowning: Unfortunately it's a loooong trip from here, but your offer is appreciated :beer:

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
Sebastian Inlet 1997.

I was trying to get done with engineering undergrad that semester and hadn't left college in the mountains of SW Virginia in a year.

Drove my pasty white self overnight straight to the campgrounds for spring break.

I got SMOKED sunburn on day 1 (the only one with waves over thigh high) of the week and suffered heavily like a leper afterwards.

Played dominoes in a tent and peeled my skin like leatherface for the next 6 days.
Racoons took all our food on night 2.

Smoked alot of grass to take the edge off and be able to sleep on days 3-6.
Took 1 shower that week - too sunburned.

The heat was merciless.
No shade except for a tent aka greenhouse.
More heat.

Aloe. Lots of aloe.
Pretty worried that I was never going to have normal skin again.

I remember thirst and being too poor to buy anything.

Drove back.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
HatterasGlass said:
Sebastian Inlet 1997.

I was trying to get done with engineering undergrad that semester and hadn't left college in the mountains of SW Virginia in a year.

Drove my pasty white self overnight straight to the campgrounds for spring break.

I got SMOKED sunburn on day 1 (the only one with waves over thigh high) of the week and suffered heavily like a leper afterwards.

Played dominoes in a tent and peeled my skin like leatherface for the next 6 days.

The heat was merciless.
More heat.

Aloe. Lots of aloe.

Drove back.
This really does sound like complete hell.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Retropete said:
grapedrink said:
freeride76 said:
grapedrink said:
manbearpig said:

Baler?
Flights are actually not nearly as expensive as I expected to Manila. I might be interested in that info

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
casa_mugrienta said:
HatterasGlass said:
Sebastian Inlet 1997.

The heat was merciless.
More heat.

Aloe. Lots of aloe.

Drove back.

This might be a winner.

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
Racer1 said:
casa_mugrienta said:
HatterasGlass said:
Sebastian Inlet 1997.

The heat was merciless.
More heat.

Aloe. Lots of aloe.

Drove back.
This might be a winner.
Hey, thanks.
I always win the games that nobody should win.
Like worst tuxedo fitting or best allergic reaction to fire ants.