Work Sucks

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
You could be offloading and carrying the lumber at the job site and eating toxic burritos off the catering truck. Sissy.
LOL!
Ok, fair enough big dog but just to be clear I have done that in my younger days.

I have posted this before but just for reference this is the kind of stuff I do.
It aint easy I can assure you of that.

This is 5 different buildings built over podiums (Parking) that are 5 stories each.

611 units in all when it was complete. Hard job for sure and I had to make it happen and manage it from start to finish.

So, this one took over a year just to frame it. I'm too old for this sh!t.

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
LOL!
Ok, fair enough big dog but just to be clear I have done that in my younger days.

I have posted this before but just for reference this is the kind of stuff I do.

This is 5 different buildings built over podiums (Parking) that are 5 stories each.

611 units in all when it was complete. Hard job for sure and I had to make it happen and manage it from start to finish.

If it wasn’t for your fishing habit you could have easily retired by now.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
My father had a thing or two to say about work

1) grind hard during your individual contributor years. you want at least one significant example that can carry you for the rest of your career.

2) switch to manager roles when you have you kids. you’ll be too tired to still be a good individual contributor.

3) figure out how to be your own boss as soon as possible.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I do between $20-30 million in annual sales and that isn't just a paper transaction like real estate and most other
LOL!

Can you get me a bro deal on 3 2x4’s?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
There is a very successful company in my area that runs with a 4 day work week. Everyone works 10 hour shifts. Monday-Thursday. They also close for three weeks around the holidays. Their employees are happy and loyal.
Every weekend is a 3-day weekend and face it if you've already driven to work and you're gonna be there for 8 hours another 2 hours on-site is well worth it to have those three day weekends.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Yeah moving to what’s essentially a 4 day work week was huge for me. My fridays are admin/office work and really only have a few hours of work to do for the week.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
You could be offloading and hoisting the 4x8 sheeting for the summer roofing job and eating toxic burritos off the (hot) tar kettle. Sissy.
Fixed..... for that one college summer job I did. Think my grades went up for the rest of the university stay.

There is a very successful company in my area that runs with a 4 day work week. Everyone works 10 hour shifts. Monday-Thursday. They also close for three weeks around the holidays. Their employees are happy and loyal.
Every weekend is a 3-day weekend and face it if you've already driven to work and you're gonna be there for 8 hours another 2 hours on-site is well worth it to have those three day weekends.
We have that option, the 4d -10h workweek.

I still prefer the 5d-8h workweek so I can surf in the morning and maybe not so tired to whoop it up if something is worth staying up late for.

Of course is sort of sucks on the Friday when I am one of the few who show up to work...at least is what I tell the boss(es).

Reactions: tacos

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Yeah, it's lame. That's why schools punish independent thinkers who find more efficient ways of doing things ("show your work!" :rolleyes: ) and question the system because if too many of us rebel, their way of doing things falls apart. So they condition to sit through a long day and follow orders doing busy work to prepare us for the next 4-5 decades of drudgery.
I call BS on this silly trope.

Just homeschool if you are so smart.

I call BS on people who say that before kids get to school they are geniuses. Teach kidergarden for a year and get back to me.

I tell the kids to closely follow my directions, so that when they are doing a complex task they can closely follow their own directions.

You have to train attention to be able to be attentive at a high level.

"Learn of the skillful; he that teaches himself hath a fool for a master."

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i agree that you need to learn mental discipline and learn "how to learn"

But, why aren't you and your ilk teaching the yutes of today how to actually adult? Compound Interest. Using debt (wisely) to build wealth. THey don't know sh!t coming out of high school and college about how life actually works, so then they waste and squander another decade trying to figure out why life isn't just ice cream and band aids before they finally get their sh!t together and realize the universe doesn't give a flying f%^k about any of us, and if you want something, you better work for it, steal it, or get real lucky. and the 2nd two are ill advised and unpredictable at best

It would be cool if kids learned that sh!t before 28

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Let me get this straight ... We collectively agree to leave our families and slave away for 8+ hours a day. Come home totally spent, without the time or energy to meaningfully connect with spouse and kids, let alone do the chores and all the other life management that comes with being a respectable member of society. Entertainment complex anesthetizes us with shitty TV, superhero movies, and doom scrolling; schools socially condition our kids in this rat race from age 5; psychiatry drugs them into submission when they start experiencing ADHD, depression, and anxiety caused by this sick culture. What a fucking scam.

Who actually thinks this is the best way to live? If we reduced the work day to 4-6 hours, that would be a start. Most companies produce useless sh!t anyway.

View attachment 152950
You're doing it wrong if work leaves you spent

• Haha
Reactions: Your Moms Dildo

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
in brighter work news, I just closed about 250K of the million bucks i still "need" for Q2. And i have 2 months to get the other 750 sold "in-quarter" while also not forgetting to sell the rest of the year...Piece of cake

I'm going to celebrate by calling it a day, pull some tubes (the smoky ones, not the wet ones, its flat here), and take my wife's 5:15 yoga class at the studio

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
sorta related

when i was in high school i told my father that i thought money was human's worst invention.

he didnt miss a beat. looked at me over his coffee and said, no. surfing is human's worst invention.

he may have been because all i know now is that ive been failing miserably at retirement ever since
I’m certainly glad I took an early 15 year leave of absence to get that surfing bug out of my ass.