Woke Liberals Say Black Kids are Retarded.... Want to Cancel AP Courses.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
If you have two students headed down the community college-to-Cal State Univ. route, do you think it matters which high school they graduated from? Does anyone outside of the upper tier universities actually care which HS a kid graduates from or how strong the programs are at those schools? Or is it perhaps more relevant that the student actually did follow through in HS and did their goddamned homework in order to graduate?

As far as the AP courses are concerned, I don't know that the public school systems owe that upgrade to any of their students. If kids are that gifted then maybe they should just test out of HS and start college earlier.

But by the same token spending inordinate amounts of money on the low achievers who *aren't doing the work* is completely wasteful, too. We should be kicking the slackers out of school and using those resources on the kids who are at least trying to do the work.

Reactions: Ifallalot

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
It is inarguable that the school board is attempting to create a race to bottom by eliminating programs that work for more gifted students

This is an attempt to create fairness and equity by eliminating something that is already functioning on the concept of equal opportunity. Any kid can get into the gifted program, some just don't make it
Disagree on that last part. One of my earliest wake up calls to the absurdity of the racism baked into our culture was being pulled out class to go to my elementary school's "gifted program" every couple of weeks.

A bunch of white kids, all above average, but some just barely and not a single one of the smart black kids from my classes. Hmmm.

But yes, making sure there's actually equal access is better than getting rid of the program altogether. What's probably actually going on here is that doing this for equality sake looks a lot better on letters to parents than doing it because the budget was cut.

Also, I called this out in a subject edit earlier, but subject edits are no longer a thing: this article has absolutely nothing to do with AP classes.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
You are proving two things:

1) You don't know what fairness is

2) You suck at analogies

Fairness is not about possessions.

It's about equal opportunity and equal treatment.
Ok here’s a better analogy....

Some kids do better in school. The kids that are able to do better are placed into different, more challenging classes if they choose to attend those classes. These kids benefit more from these classes than if they were to take the regular classes.

Some kids just aren’t able to meet the standards to get into these classes, which isn’t fair. So the mayor of the city where these schools are decides that in order to make things fair he’s going remove the beneficial classes as a choice for the higher achieving students.

So now nobody gets to attend the more challenging classes.

The mayor, in seeking fairness, has done it in the only way possible. He took away the better and now everyone is worse off.

Fairness is based in envy.

Fairness is evil.

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
Ok here’s a better analogy....

Some kids do better in school. The kids that are able to do better are placed into different, more challenging classes if they choose to attend those classes. These kids benefit more from these classes than if they were to take the regular classes.

Some kids just aren’t able to meet the standards to get into these classes, which isn’t fair. So the mayor of the city where these schools are decides that in order to make things fair he’s going remove the beneficial classes as a choice for the higher achieving students.

So now nobody gets to attend the more challenging classes.

The mayor, in seeking fairness, has done it in the only way possible. He took away the better and now everyone is worse off.
Despite OP's subject line, this is not about getting rid of AP classes. Read the article.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Despite OP's subject line, this is not about getting rid of AP classes. Read the article.

A school-diversity panel created by Mayor Bill de Blasio wants to junk the gifted-and-talented programs and other forms of academic screening in city schools.
Arguing that such programs perpetuate racial inequality because they’re comprised mostly of white and Asian students, the School Diversity Advisory Group called on de Blasio and Schools Chancellor Richard Carranza to ditch the current G&T system, according to recommendations released Monday.

Reactions: bird.LA

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Gifted and talented.

They wanna scrap it.

Did I say “AP”?

They’re chopping off the legs in fairness to the bottom.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Duffy is confusing fairness for equality of outcomes.

I agree that you can't have equal outcomes but you should always strive for fairness.

Reactions: bird.LA

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

I agree that you can't have equal outcomes but you should always strive for fairness.
NYC’s ministry of diversity is confusing fairness for equal outcomes.

You guys need to read what I write more carefully. Fairness, in its implementation, always leads to the bottom.

NYC isn’t saying they want to scrap the program in the interest of equal outcomes because they’d get too much push back. So they call it fairness.

The outcome of this fairness is evil.

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
Ahh I see Duffy. You think elementary and middle school gifted programs = more challenging classes. I see where the misunderstanding happened.

Duffy said:
The outcome of this fairness is evil
LMAO

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I was going by your definition:

"Fairness is evil. Fairness is based in envy. The pursuit of fairness has caused more death and misery than anything else in human existence."

If you said the school policy is evil, that is different than the concept of fairness.

Of you could have said, the new policy is unfair.

Like I said, I don't think you understand the concept.

Fairness is the glue holds society together.

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA

It is comical how backwards these guys have things.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Disagree on that last part. One of my earliest wake up calls to the absurdity of the racism baked into our culture was being pulled out class to go to my elementary school's "gifted program" every couple of weeks.

A bunch of white kids, all above average, but some just barely and not a single one of the smart black kids from my classes. Hmmm.

But yes, making sure there's actually equal access is better than getting rid of the program altogether. What's probably actually going on here is that doing this for equality sake looks a lot better on letters to parents than doing it because the budget was cut.

Also, I called this out in a subject edit earlier, but subject edits are no longer a thing: this article has absolutely nothing to do with AP classes.
Not AP High School classes, but GATE-type programs in Elementary schools.

And I think this is doing the opposite, they should have said that they're doing this for budgetary reasons so the parents would get pissed at their elected officials rather than making it a national story playing the woke game

Reactions: GDaddy

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
Not AP High School classes, but GATE-type programs in Elementary schools.

And I think this is doing the opposite, they should have said that they're doing this for budgetary reasons so the parents would get pissed at their elected officials rather than making it a national story playing the woke game
But minority students do get overlooked for these programs even when they're deserving, so :shrug: <-- still using these

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Again, how is this anything to do with equal outcomes and somebody trying to steal your house?

Anybody actually read the article?

"Every child, regardless of ZIP code, has the right to attend a school where they can thrive."

How's this evil?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The MGM kids all sat on couches after lunch and BS'd while I was on the football field smoking Thai sticks ditching algebra I.