*With a commitment to maintaining a positive space for all, we have disabled our comments. Thank you for your understanding.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Yeah all controversy aside- if we can’t chew a bizarro topic like this to death, what’s the point of this forum?

I mean come on- we’ve got trannies, bible thumpers, mediocre wetsuits (sorry don’t love rip curl suits) South Park, mental illness, politics, Walter fu&$ing Sobchak…I can’t think of a subject more on-brand for erBB!
We seem to be in violent agreement that Sasha (he/haw) is the perfect representative of what pro surfing has become.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I don't think I could support a company that fires a Christian Woman ("biological woman") but promotes a man masquerading as a female. No matter how good the deal is on the wetsuit or surfboard or tshirt or whatever. In fact, I don't see how any self respecting "Woman" (biologically) could even ride for them or feel good about wearing their merchandise!
It's unclear how many customers KMD Brands (parent of Rip Curl) has added by firing women and boosting a tranny, but probably not as many as they've lost doing the same. Something tells me that when these two pitched the idea, the board broke out into standing applause but everyone was afraid to stop clapping.

1706315597444.png

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Rip Curl and Xcel have always fit me perfectly. I can buy either of their suits without trying them on and know they will fit. From now on it will be all Xcel for me. I wish O'Neill fit but their suits are cut for someone with a shorter torso and short arms.
so when all the wetsuit companies sponsor trannies you gonna just bareback it in the jersey winter. is there a brain cell in that head of your at all?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
so when all the wetsuit companies sponsor trannies you gonna just bareback it in the jersey winter. is there a brain cell in that head of your at all?
You're right - resistance is futile. This is where the market is headed. Check out some of your bikini options:

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
It's unclear how many customers KMD Brands (parent of Rip Curl) has added by firing women and boosting a tranny, but probably not as many as they've lost doing the same. Something tells me that when these two pitched the idea, the board broke out into standing applause but everyone was afraid to stop clapping.

View attachment 171395
What they did was Stunning and Brave

• Haha
Reactions: PJ, PRCD and Havoc

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
It’s interesting to see the different ways skateboarding and surfing handle diversity (or whatever you want to call it for this).

Skating seems to have embraced it — or at least accepted it. One of Thrasher’s SOTY was gay. DLX distribution (who handles brands like Real, Anti-Hero, Krooked) now have a brand that is exclusively queer: There skateboards.

Surfing on the other hand, seems to be a lot more closed off.

And oddly, the biggest cultural threat to kids’ health IMO, heavy drinking and drugs, doesn’t ever really get called out by either skating or surfing in any meaningful way.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
It’s interesting to see the different ways skateboarding and surfing handle diversity (or whatever you want to call it for this).

Skating seems to have embraced it — or at least accepted it. One of Thrasher’s SOTY was gay. DLX distribution (who handles brands like Real, Anti-Hero, Krooked) now have a brand that is exclusively queer: There skateboards.

Surfing on the other hand, seems to be a lot more closed off.

And oddly, the biggest cultural threat to kids’ health IMO, heavy drinking and drugs, doesn’t ever really get called out by either skating or surfing in any meaningful way.
I'll drink to that! :beer: :shaka:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
It's not about being open to diversity or not. It's about something that everyone with 2 rational brain cells to rub together can tell is a complete farce with major fairness issues, yet these companies and institutions blindly push it forward to appease a tiny yet very vocal minority.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
It's not about being open to diversity or not. It's about something that everyone with 2 rational brain cells to rub together can tell is a complete farce with major fairness issues, yet these companies and institutions blindly push it forward to appease a tiny yet very vocal minority.
If this were a WSL contest, Id agree. But it’s one single Instagram post of thousands that Rip Curl has posted. Add to it a nanosecond of Sasha in some video catalog shoot, and we’ve got two assets out of thousands…. Doesn’t seem like a huge deal. That’s just my two rational brain cells talking.

Reactions: Aruka and oeste858

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
If this were a contest, Id agree. But it’s one single Instagram post of thousands that Rip Curl has posted. Add to it a nanosecond of Sasha in some video catalog shoot, and we’ve got two assets out of thousands…. That’s just my two rational brain cells talking. The only reason this Sasha is as big as she is because Bethany made a stink.
Noticing the problem caused the problem.