Wingfoil Harness Time?

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Did a 15 mile session yesterday from Kanaha to the harbor and back. Winds gusting to 35mph headed upwind just over 6 miles took 25 minutes, my fore arms were cramping and fingers numb by the time I made it back.

Anyone else dabble with the harness setup? I've heard it'll save your hands and arms fatigue significantly. I'm thinking it'll open up my distance up the coast alot, which would be good for the summer downwinders. No longer have to ride share up and wing down, just sail up.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I’ve dabbled. It makes a lot of sense if you’re slogging upwind.

it’s better to have a really lightweight harness that you can rotate so you can put the hook behind/ to the side when you’re heading back downwind but it’s not a biggie.

ive used an adjustable ws harness line which is overkill, next time I’ll rig some para cord with a larks head like the f-one line.

Ive got some tendinitis developing in my right arm from winging which sucks, so I might have to use one more often.

Mar 20, 2019
I just made a belt with 2" webbing and used a da kine maniac hook. Works pretty good, but the belt could be a little bigger in the back for comfort. Good for going upwind as well as making crashes more spectacular when you can't get the line out of the hook!

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I am using a kiting shorts harness, I like it for long upwind reaches. Especially when overpowered with 6m, as that wing has a lot of grunt. Bonus of shorts harness is I attach my reel leash to back (no belt needed), and pockets for water, snacks, phone, etc. Extra bonus: shorts over wetsuit radness, like kiters and great lakes surfers.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Did a 15 mile session yesterday from Kanaha to the harbor and back. Winds gusting to 35mph headed upwind just over 6 miles took 25 minutes, my fore arms were cramping and fingers numb by the time I made it back.

Anyone else dabble with the harness setup? I've heard it'll save your hands and arms fatigue significantly. I'm thinking it'll open up my distance up the coast alot, which would be good for the summer downwinders. No longer have to ride share up and wing down, just sail up.
Try to spell your name or draw a dick and balls on the relive.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
My brother sends me videos like that from Maui. Makes me want to get a wingding thing
It’s kind of a bust here for learning in my opinion. We’ve got some lafc guys going to castaic and making headway though. They have wings and boards to share if you really want to try surfdad.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
In kiting, it's somewhat a spot "thou shalt not speak its name", but Jalama seems to be a more-windy spot not that far from LA. Might be a nice spot to camp for a week, learn to wing, probably get some fun surf foiling too.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
In kiting, it's somewhat a spot "thou shalt not speak its name", but redacted seems to be a more-windy spot not that far from LA. Might be a nice spot to camp for a week, learn to wing, probably get some fun surf foiling too.
Except for the 100 yards of shorebreak you can’t get through. That’s the real issue. We don’t have protected lagoons to easily enter and exit the water. It’s more of a drag gear down to the water. Put both leashes on your ankle. Wade through waves as far as possible. Time set. Jump on board. Paddle like crazy trying to get outside the breaking waves without destroying your gear.

Coming in is worse.

Kiting you just start in the shorebreak. Not sure that’s possible with a foil and wing.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Except for the 100 yards of shorebreak you can’t get through. That’s the real issue. We don’t have protected lagoons to easily enter and exit the water. It’s more of a drag gear down to the water. Put both leashes on your ankle. Wade through waves as far as possible. Time set. Jump on board. Paddle like crazy trying to get outside the breaking waves without destroying your gear.

Coming in is worse.

Kiting you just start in the shorebreak. Not sure that’s possible with a foil and wing.

There's something coming that may be a solution.
http://instagr.am/p/CIYXyzRqv7E/

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009

Coming in is worse.

Paddling out wing rig ... depends how big and pounding the waves are. I think the yardstick is similar to surf foiling, if it's head high barrelling beach break, you probably don't want to be doing either. You can semi duck dive through waist high white water, more than that definitely some intensity.

I was only at Jalama one time and surf was relatively small. My recollection is that it's beach break in front, but around the corner (tarantulas?), more a reef set up, so maybe walk down and get out easier down there? Dunno, been a long time, may have it wrong. This was before I was a wind chaser ... looking forward to a return visit with winging, kiting, foiling toys. :)

I've surfed, windsurfed, and kited Jalama many times over the years - on small summer day it may be doable, but on a true "Jalama" day it is can be very gnarly. Plus lots of kelp on the outside which is difficult to kite around on a surfboard, much less a foil. Drive another hour north to Lake Lopez for learning.

Reactions: Hdip
May 15, 2017
I've surfed, windsurfed, and kited Jalama many times over the years - on small summer day it may be doable, but on a true "Jalama" day it is can be very gnarly. Plus lots of kelp on the outside which is difficult to kite around on a surfboard, much less a foil. Drive another hour north to Lake Lopez for learning.
I totally agree!! Lopez is a much more enjoyable time
Jalama has way too much kelp and debris...period

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I’m gonna need to harness going forward, I think. I have sever tendinitis in my right arm...all from winging.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I’m gonna need to harness going forward, I think. I have sever tendinitis in my right arm...all from winging.
Elbows? I got it pretty bad kiting years ago, tried everything but all that really helped in the end was low bar pressure surf kites and less sup foiling (sup paddling was the worst thing). I think a harness can help take the weight off, especially when winging over powered. I find my 6m really pushes the limit on doable for my joints/muscles. May also help to vary grip, over hand and under hand.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Yep elbow. The result of having only a 6m for a month of smoking 20kts plus. Might go and see someone, only had it for a month or so, so maybe I can fix it up.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
damn, sorry to hear it, that can be really persistent.
lots of tips and suggestions on kiter forums, eg:

After years of elbow pain, I finally got tired of it and took it seriously, tried everything, stretches, theraband, even bought a home ultrasound, but I never got a solution with a really clear directly observable result. It kind of just faded out. And it may be coincidental, but it finally went away at the same time I decided to try the human version of a joint medicine I got for my dog, after friends recommendation for prolonging life of labs with bad hips. [Recovery https://www.purica.com/product/recovery-extra-strength-vegetarian-capsules/] I am far from a miracle cure type and I don't do vitamin supplements, but the timing did coincide...dunno.

Anyways, totally see how you got it, a 6m in 20kt is a massive amount of power and strain. I found it focused on lats -- after about 20 minutes in stronger winds, I had to stop, felt like it might rip them off, especially on port tack (left foot forward). The harness helped massively in this situation, can lean back, just hold with fingertips to steer. It is actually a pretty cool feeling, reminds me of first days trying a windsurf harness, you can feel the wind power transfer through your core, it makes a solid connection between wind, your legs, and into the board, without the weak link arms in between. Bit of a WOW when you feel the flow.

Reactions: Clamsmasher

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Yep elbow. The result of having only a 6m for a month of smoking 20kts plus. Might go and see someone, only had it for a month or so, so maybe I can fix it up.
Clammy, if it's on top, check out GWS's advice on the elbow thread in the Surf Doc forum. I couldn't use my right arm properly (right-handed) for over a year. Physical therapy, cortisone shots, prolotherapy shot. Was considering PRP shot and then (edit:surgery) if that didn't work.

Followed his simple advice from an old stuntman and it was better within a couple of weeks. GWS had it worse and for longer and he is fine now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clamsmasher