Will it work

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Very different in important ways , only Old Mountain Bikers know of such things

Realine your comparison with the leading edges of the base at the same location
IMG_0049.jpg

So about the same surface area but more upright, offering more pivot. If I know my finology, and I don't, pushing the fin back would offer more stability, and more stability means you could push more into carving turns and generate more drive.

So altogether, increased drive (without increasing drag and sacrificing speed with more fins) and pivot (looseness) over the Merrick design, or it's just Griffin marketing shenanigans. :p

Last edited:

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Took the board out today in some less than stellar waves, although conditions couldn't have been any cleaner. Solo'd a local spot at about waste to chest high. Clean little right, but the tide was too high. Stoked to have access to this one.

THE BOARD ROCKED. I put it so hard on rail twice to see if I could spin out the tail & I didn't. Not that I'm some pro, but I can put a board on rail. It flew. This board is now so much better & so much fun. It's like a thruster but WAAAYYY faster. Man... now I wish I could use it at that-wave-in-Lemoore!

STOCKED and grinning from ear-to-ear.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Controlled lift , both in design of the board and fins = maximum planing while still being in control thru all speed ranges = more fun

Hatchet fins are more of rudder design , base and tip being located in different positions
OKKKKKKKKKKK, I'm not sure that entirely answers my question, but I found them to be a bit mad. Fast and smooth down the line, but it felt like surfing with a bungee rope when you tried to turn; they would just spring and shoot me off my board. I'm sure my lack of skills had something to do with it, but I just gave up on them.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
OKKKKKKKKKKK, I'm not sure that entirely answers my question, but I found them to be a bit mad. Fast and smooth down the line, but it felt like surfing with a bungee rope when you tried to turn; they would just spring and shoot me off my board. I'm sure my lack of skills had something to do with it, but I just gave up on them.
Same. they are a wild ride.
GG describes fins + board combo should provide "planing while still being in control thru all speed ranges". For me, the krypt hatchets fail because they take away the control through the entire duration of a turn. At some point it can catch the water, load up, spring, and buck me off. Unpredictable. Frustrating.

Reactions: Goodfish

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Same. they are a wild ride.
GG describes fins + board combo should provide "planing while still being in control thru all speed ranges". For me, the krypt hatchets fail because they take away the control through the entire duration of a turn. At some point it can catch the water, load up, spring, and buck me off. Unpredictable. Frustrating.
OK, now I get it. Yeah, that was my exact experience. I guess those weird el Tomo Firewire fins would result in the same experience.