Wild ponies bite and kick

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
That's exactly what they do with Assateague ponies, they feed them which is really bad, but they will stall traffic just to take a better picture and it's a busy road people rushing to surf or post surf going to work. I'm glad they appreciate nature and all but it s just annoying and wrong and clearly posted. When I'm out of my element, in someone elses' community, If I'm unsure or exploring the area, looking for something I always pull over or get out of the way. It's not difficult to do and ultimately makes my experience better than if I was gawking, causing a traffic back up.

I was hinting at the place I surfed today with this post, and anyone who knows this place would have been thoroughly rewarded to have been here today. Days
Like this happen only once or twice a year during warm water season, at best. You can go a couple years before finding the place long and pitching/throwing like is was today.

Classic one for the books IMO.
Good luck.

YeahNo

OTF status
Jan 20, 2017
Kelly's Cove
I was hinting at the place I surfed today with this post, and anyone who knows this place would have been thoroughly rewarded to have been here today. Days
Like this happen only once or twice a year during warm water season, at best. You can go a couple years before finding the place long and pitching/throwing like is was today.

Classic one for the books IMO.
Good luck.
My parents live in Rehoboth (where I first ventured into the ocean) and I've been over past the ponies but never seen it anything bigger than chest high. Good score!

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Every time the wild horse topic comes up I point people to the film Unbranded. It’s one of the best documentaries I’ve seen. It’s sad how little people know about these animals, and invasive/non native species as a whole.

Steens Mt in SE Oregon has some wild horses (totally great gravel road to the top and the drop to the Alvord Desert on the east side is amazing).

There is an information sign out there that says an occasional wild horse will display striping on the flanks similar to that of the Roman horses.

The idea is that these are many generations removed from some of the horses that Rome use to establish and maintain their empire. This is how horses got to Spain. Then when Spain conquistador-ed their way through the Americas, they used horses derived from those lines. So when those horses escaped or were rustled away to populate the western USA, bingo-bongo, you get some Roman Empire horse DNA populating the wilds.

I wonder if this has been genetically proven.

Edit:

It has

More here (click me).

Blurb

1600886409259.png

• Wow
Reactions: manbearpig

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Steens Mt in SE Oregon has some wild horses (totally great gravel road to the top and the drop to the Alvord Desert on the east side is amazing).

There is an information sign out there that says an occasional wild horse will display striping on the flanks similar to that of the Roman horses.

The idea is that these are many generations removed from some of the horses that Rome use to establish and maintain their empire. This is how horses got to Spain. Then when Spain conquistador-ed their way through the Americas, they used horses derived from those lines. So when those horses escaped or were rustled away to populate the western USA, bingo-bongo, you get some Roman Empire horse DNA populating the wilds.

I wonder if this has been genetically proven.
That’s really cool and a sales pitch for fostering some of these horses if it were genetically proven.

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon
we were walking across a field to access the big hole river in MT when a mustang charged us, stopping just about 50' away snorting and stomping. behind him was a ring of other wild horses protecting a mare who was laying down birthing out a foal.

we backed the fvck away...

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Was there supposed to be a vid or an image with first post?

If so, I am not seeing it.

So, I give you clueless hikers:

Looks like the kick was a little high, which is good news because I don't know how he could have not passed out if he copped the hoof square on the nards.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
heard this one from a fellow Assateague camper.
Tourists feeding horse which gets hit/injured by car.
Ranger arrives and shoots to death said horse......then tells campers...
"We told you not to feed them."

o_O o_O

• Sad
Reactions: billypilgrim