Why's Everything So Expensive?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yeah, I mean who cares if gas is $6 a gallon, rent on a 2 bedroom is 3k/month...we got a guy who respects the outcome of an election that he won. I'd rather my dollar go half as far with no end to the decline in sight than have to live with someone posting things on Twitter that aren't true.
Yeah, it would totally be different if the guy who had a conniption every time the Fed even talked about raising rates was still in office. LOL

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Yeah, it would totally be different if the guy who had a conniption every time the Fed even talked about raising rates was still in office. LOL
Social media would be different, and that's what really matters. Since we addressed that problem, everything else is fine. War, inflation... inconsequential. As long as no one says anything disagreeable on Twitter. The dollar can be worth as much as a rupee(Zelda, not India) and that's alright as long as we all know that the president says he prefers to hire black women. We made it through the bad years, it's all up from here.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Social media would be different, and that's what really matters. Since we addressed that problem, everything else is fine. War, inflation... inconsequential. As long as no one says anything disagreeable on Twitter. The dollar can be worth as much as a rupee(Zelda, not India) and that's alright as long as we all know that the president says he prefers to hire black women. We made it through the bad years, it's all up from here.
Come on bud, world events have a bit to do with it. Especially since the whole world is going through the same thing.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Come on bud, world events have a bit to do with it. Especially since the whole world is going through the same thing.
I know, I know. No one in particular here is drawing this ire, but damn do we all collectively give Biden a wayyy easier time than we did Trump. The amount of screaming would deafening if bad-hair-day was still in office. I remain strongly of the opinion that it means fvck all who is president, it's a stunt position used by wealthy fvcks to manipulate the population, and we have been Riemann manifold manipulated. We'll never even close to understand what is happening, let alone why, because we care who is president and what party they belong to.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I know, I know. No one in particular here is drawing this ire, but damn do we all collectively give Biden a wayyy easier time than we did Trump. The amount of screaming would deafening if bad-hair-day was still in office. I remain strongly of the opinion that it means fvvk all who is president, it's a stunt position used by wealthy fvcks to manipulate the population, and we have been Riemann manifold manipulated. We'll never even close to understand what is happening, let alone why, because we care who is president and what party they belong to.
Trump deserved every bit and more, the sh!t he got away with is unprecedented.

Reactions: Hump

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Trump deserved every bit and more, the sh!t he got away with is unprecedented.
Newsome is an objectively more abhorrent decision maker, but we're keeping him because Democrat. As a country, we aren't different from Russia, China, etc. We pick who want to like, in California it's anyone wearing a blue tie, and we make excuses for them while we blame our problems on those who oppose them. It keeps us from going "wait a second, we have enough food, money, houses, and all that stuff for...everyone? Like, everyone, everyone? Well then what the hell is going on? What are we fighting over?"

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm just making myself laugh by recognizing the absurdity of it all.

Reactions: npsp and mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Newsome is an objectively more abhorrent decision maker, but we're keeping him because Democrat. As a country, we aren't different from Russia, China, etc. We pick who want to like, in California it's anyone wearing a blue tie, and we make excuses for them while we blame our problems on those who oppose them. It keeps us from going "wait a second, we have enough food, money, houses, and all that stuff for...everyone? Like, everyone, everyone? Well then what the hell is going on? What are we fighting over?"

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm just making myself laugh by recognizing the absurdity of it all.
We are very different form Russia and China freedom wise at least for now. You would be in prison for posting your gibberish in either Country.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
We are very different form Russia and China freedom wise at least for now. You would be in prison for posting your gibberish in either Country.
We're not an unimaginable distance from convicting people of crimes for disagreeing with "the official narrative" on Twitter or YouTube. Two or three more "emergency powers" situations ought to get us there.

• Haha
Reactions: vanrysss

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
We're not an unimaginable distance from convicting people of crimes for disagreeing with "the official narrative" on Twitter or YouTube. Two or three more "emergency powers" situations ought to get us there.
Simply wrong and you know it. The closest thing is what is going on in the shithole southern states.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Simply wrong and you know it. The closest thing is what is going on in the shithole southern states.
I think those states are part of the US still. Not that they have to be, but no one listened last time I suggested we give everything more than 20 miles from the Pacific ocean away to Mexico for two first round draft picks. We could have coast all the way down to Guatemala, and they would have to deal with Mississippi, Florida, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: mundus

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
No, we're there.

Congress gave itself a 21% raise this year. That's the best estimate of the true rate of inflation.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Do you want to hold USD if your use of USD can be shut off by Washington because dollar-based transactions need to clear through NY at some point?
Do you want to hold USD if it's rapidly losing value?
What will happen to US inflation if foreign holders of USD dump them on the market?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Do you want to hold USD if your use of USD can be shut off by Washington because dollar-based transactions need to clear through NY at some point?
Do you want to hold USD if it's rapidly losing value?
What will happen to US inflation if foreign holders of USD dump them on the market?
But Ukraine!

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
If they dump their USD on the market, they will be shooting themselves in the thigh, right near their femoral artery.

(What happens to the value of X when there is a massive oversupply of X that no one wants?)

If they move slower (rather than "dump"), they could escape some of the problems of oversupply. Also, if they have a ready alternative that others will gladly accept (a big enough band aid) and have some skill at being able to to take a big hit (disruptions to what has been in place and working for the past fifty years), then they would have a better chance at recovering from switching from X to Y.

This idea (the ebb and flow of what is a globally accepted unit of stable currency) must be a plot point in some political thriller. How did things turn out in those stories?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
If they dump their USD on the market, they will be shooting themselves in the thigh, right near their femoral artery.
"Dumping" means "exchanging it for something else ASAP, like farmland or gold. You're also assuming everyone is behaving rationally and calmly, which doesn't appear to be the case. The US and China are exchanging threats of sanctions. China has a lot of USD. Japan is warning about where this is all headed.

(
This idea (the ebb and flow of what is a globally accepted unit of stable currency) must be a plot point in some political thriller. How did things turn out in those stories?
It's definitely the ebb and flow of history.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta