Why won't our slave masters allow Americans to buy the $10,000 cars which other people can buy?

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Regulation-mandated safety equipment according to some.

Because Americans want no bullshit cars. That's why there's so many WRX and so few 3/4/5 Series BMWs, so few C-class Mercedes, so few A4/A6 Audi, so few Lexus Sedans...
Not sure where you live, but that's what everyone drives here

Reactions: CutnSnip

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The Hummer was a bust. This would be too. Americans like to drive fast and bot everybody lives in the desert
$.02

The desert people drive the fastest.

Not sure where you live, but that's what everyone drives here
I live in Jacksonville Beach. You are saying everyone drives the comfortable techno-cocoons, or you see WRX and STi all over the place?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Regulation-mandated safety equipment according to some.
We have the strictest environmental standards in the world too.

Because Americans want no bullshit cars. That's why there's so many WRX and so few 3/4/5 Series BMWs, so few C-class Mercedes, so few A4/A6 Audi, so few Lexus Sedans...
Are we living in the same universe?

Reactions: Ifallalot and PRCD

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
$.02

The desert people drive the fastest.

I live in Jacksonville Beach. You are saying everyone drives the comfortable techno-cocoons, or you see WRX and STi all over the place?
Yes, comfy overpriced techno-cocoons are all the rage inside the beltway...

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
No, I'm living in the Universe where the EU and Japan have stricter environmental standards.
That must be recent - and also after a quick Googling I don't see any data to why that would be other than "they have more regulatory bodies".

I do see Europe now has stricter standards for diesel. Didn't used to be the case.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
An aspect of the "pie chart" why this vehicle won't be sold in the USA is, tah-dah, market forces.

You sell to what the market can afford. Chuck on a few amenities to help justify the cost, and then you don't have to bring up other variables.

How big a slice of the pie this is will be open to interpretation, but it is probably bigger than people care to admit.

PS

Surf related.

Reactions: ElOgro

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yes I agree with you. I don't think regulations are to blame for vehicles being so large.
An aspect of the "pie chart" why this vehicle won't be sold in the USA is, tah-dah, market forces.

You sell to what the market can afford. Chuck on a few amenities to help justify the cost, and then you don't have to bring up other variables.

How big a slice of the pie this is will be open to interpretation, but it is probably bigger than people care to admit.

PS

Surf related.
OK, I just did some research - you can no longer sell small trucks in the USA because of CAFE environmental regs.

If a big F150 gets 20mpg, a small truck gets 25mpg but a sedan with the same wheelbase gets 30, the small truck gets penalized heavily, even though it's a different class of vehicle. According to the CAFE standards, they'd rather you drive the gigantic 20mpg truck because the mileage is tied to square footage of the wheels.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
OK, I just did some research - you can no longer sell small trucks in the USA because of CAFE environmental regs.

If a big F150 gets 20mpg, a small truck gets 25mpg but a sedan with the same wheelbase gets 30, the small truck gets penalized heavily, even though it's a different class of vehicle. According to the CAFE standards, they'd rather you drive the gigantic 20mpg truck because the mileage is tied to square footage of the wheels.
well it still seems like it's consumer driven.

'Models that ran large, crossing specific length-by-width thresholds‚ would have less ambitious fuel-economy targets. While the Obama administration has pushed for more aggressive CAFE numbers, the amended regulations retain the footprint-based leniency towards bigger cars and light trucks.

The result is a loophole, allowing the entire auto industry to sidestep some of the more painful efficiency requirements by inflating vehicle footprints. And historically, drivers almost always lean toward larger vehicles. “In general, if everything else about the vehicle is the same, consumers prefer the bigger one, with the roomier interior,” says Kate Whitefoot, a senior program officer at the National Academy of Engineering and the lead author of the paper (she was a doctoral student at the time of the study).'

Reactions: npsp and Mr Doof

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation

F150’s are smallish

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

We're not running out of earlier gen Tacomas, Frontiers, Rangers, etc.

Nobody wants to drive those things.

They want a big o'l truck wif big ol' muddin' tires 2 get'r'done.

We aren't the target/median/average market, Casa Moogsies. Our Japanese econo-boxes that we could name after anime girls aren't it - and your Taco is a Japanese anime girl econo box compared to real man's Kang Ranch.

Do you think you could plow a line up of Harleys like they did in Yellowstone without one of those Ram 3500 Duallies?

Get with the program, roll some coal, and smell you some MARIKA.

• Love
Reactions: Woke AF

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
We're not running out of earlier gen Tacomas, Frontiers, Rangers, etc.

Nobody wants to drive those things.

They want a big o'l truck wif big ol' muddin' tires 2 get'r'done.

We aren't the target/median/average market, Casa Moogsies. Our Japanese econo-boxes that we could name after anime girls aren't it - and your Taco is a Japanese anime girl econo box compared to real man's Kang Ranch.

Do you think you could plow a line up of Harleys like they did in Yellowstone without one of those Ram 3500 Duallies?

Get with the program, roll some coal, and smell you some MARIKA.
I get a note on my windshield a few times a year from people wanting to buy my small Tacoma.

So the demand is there.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I get a note on my windshield a few times a year from people wanting to buy my small Tacoma.

So the demand is there.
So what about the Colorado or the Montana? Are those not compact enough?

IMHO Coastal California is an alternate, price-squeezed universe. The surf cars are all old beater Japanese cars. Toyotas and Subarus are the vast majority.

Totally different in Florida. Shitloads of newer F-150s, Euro SUVs, decent number of Tacos but they're all lifted and redneck spinner'd six ways to Sunday.

The compact pickup market seems pretty niche to assert that it's all environmental standards driving the move towards larger vehicles.