why do kooks travel in packs?

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
Over the past two years or so, the trend at my preferred long stretch of beach break is for a group of 3-4 people to ignore the wide open spaces (where there are empty peaks) and paddle out right on top of a single surfer. Or if there are two guys sitting 20 - 30 yards apart, the group will paddle out and sit right between them.

Not every time, but quite a few of the times, there is usually a man-bun and/or a Wavestorm involved, and I've seen a few instances of guys getting out of the car already in their full suit, to meet the rest of the group and paddle out on top of someone.

I've had this happen to me quite a few times, and many of my friends who frequent this spot, have as well (as recent as a few days ago).

After having it happen to me, as well as witnessing it many times, I honestly don't think the vast majority of this behavior is being done in a malicious way - I am convinced its being done out of pure cluelessness.

Most of them don't surf that good and appear to be very inexperienced. I think the clueless mentality is 'There is a guy or two right there, so that's where we're supposed to go'.

:foreheadslap: :foreheadslap: :foreheadslap:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I think it has more to do with kooks being uncomfortable surfing alone. They want to have someone save them, regardless of the actual likelihood of a kook saving another kook who's in trouble, or at least be able to call the coast guard from the beach. Plus, I think a lot of people are uncomfortable doing anything alone, so they turn every activity into a clusterfukcirclejerk.

That being said, when it comes to oversees travel, there are plenty of good surfers who travel in huge packs. Many of them happen to be "locals" from well known surf towns who complain about kooks and out of towners showing up in packs, yet they travel 4-6+ heads deep on surf trips. I'm sure there's some of that ilk reading this post right now :roflmao:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
It is because to them surfing is a social thing like golf or beer-league softball. While other people who are more afflicted use surfing as a solitary pursuit.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Japanese do this at a few spots around my house. It used to bug the sht out of me, until I asked my friend from Japan why they do it. He said that in Japan everybody surfs together and its normal to paddle up to people and greet each other. It's not malicious and they never paddle battle me, so I don't care any more.

Unless you're a grom, in high school or college, how do you link up schedules for 3-4 of your friends to surf together? I'm on a couple group threads with like 20+ surfers and it's rare for even two of us to surf together between kids, work, traffic, conditions, swell, etc.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Tanner said:
Over the past two years or so, the trend at my preferred long stretch of beach break is for a group of 3-4 people to ignore the wide open spaces (where there are empty peaks) and paddle out right on top of a single surfer. Or if there are two guys sitting 20 - 30 yards apart, the group will paddle out and sit right between them.

Not every time, but quite a few of the times, there is usually a man-bun and/or a Wavestorm involved, and I've seen a few instances of guys getting out of the car already in their full suit, to meet the rest of the group and paddle out on top of someone.

I've had this happen to me quite a few times, and many of my friends who frequent this spot, have as well (as recent as a few days ago).

After having it happen to me, as well as witnessing it many times, I honestly don't think the vast majority of this behavior is being done in a malicious way - I am convinced its being done out of pure cluelessness.

Most of them don't surf that good and appear to be very inexperienced. I think the clueless mentality is 'There is a guy or two right there, so that's where we're supposed to go'.

There is a scientific term for this. It's called being "000'd."

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
tHe rAt said:
Seems to me I've seen pros travel in packs as well. With their captive photographer in tow. You want to talk about an insta-crowd? :rolleyes:

Or another combination I have seen, two pros, one blocker on a huge board AND a photographer.

I'll take the kooks.
QFT

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
tHe rAt said:
Seems to me I've seen pros travel in packs as well. With their captive photographer in tow. You want to talk about an insta-crowd? :rolleyes:

Or another combination I have seen, two pros, one blocker on a huge board AND a photographer.

I'll take the kooks.
Exactly. You can still paddle around the kooks and get most any wave you want. Its much worse when people that are good are out. :roflmao:

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Remember running into a well known pro surfer chick a couple years ago down in Big Sur.

She was mint. Had this little peeon guy running around with her doing the photodocumentary.

She was a kook of 1.

The little guy was loving it. He was her bitch.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Autoprax said:
Tanner said:

There is a scientific term for this. It's called being "000'd."
this is pretty spot on, and he's talking about where I surf so it hits home.

What's funny is Tanner and I have checked it several times together doing the usual contemplation of where to go, or if even to go out at all, then often times we end up fr from each other.. unspoken. Never once thinking about why we didn't surf the same peak together.

Didn't someone say here that surfing is not a group hug?

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
u ever think about how most guys surf in 2s or 3s.... thats less waves for them compared to surfing alone.

also applying that math to the whole pack.... if people surfed without bringing friends everywhere would be less crowded, around 50%