Where's all the old boogie boarders?

centrlcoastkook

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 2, 2002
I haven't bodyboarded in years, but still have my Toobs boards. Grew up on a Mach 7, Mach 7S, Turbo XL-R8, Mach 8TX, Toobs, Omega, and some others. Tried virtually every swim fin on the market. Used Redley for years until they were no longer available in the US then switched to Vipers. For swimming the shorepound, snorkeling, nothing beat DaFin.

We used to go out at the few slabs we have around here, including one about 900 yards off shore. Those were good times. Not a care in the world, sharks or otherwise.

Now, I don't see bodyboarders anymore. The crews are gone. Everyone moved away, got real jobs, and at some point, stopped bodyboarding. And some of those spots we used to go out at are no longer ridden by anybody. I think the shark factor feels like it's increased 10-fold since those days, as the population of seals in our area has increased 100x. I still think about hitting up some of those slabs sometimes. But those long paddles across deep water to get to the reefs are a bit sketch by myself.
I had a Turbo XL-R8 too! Lots of fun pulling into close outs down at Oil Piers back in the late 80's early 90's.

• Love
Reactions: r32

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
I still have a Morey 7-7, Toobs Buzz Board (?), and Rheopaipo Holland, all more that 25 years old. I take the Toobs board out when my son wants to boogie the shorebreak.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
boogie boarders try to act like they charge, but everyone knows it’s easy as fvck to just lay there and hold on. How easy is making the drop when you don’t have to stand up lol.

it’s fun, but it’s lame and should be saved for closeouts and messing around in shorebreak.
Feed the troll!

• Haha
Reactions: stringcheese

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
There are a number of the older guys at my local (in their 70's) who can't pop up anymore due to bad hips, knees... many have given up and moved on. There are a few though, who have moved over to bodyboards to continue getting in the water, and get their fix - and they are some of the most stocked dudes I see at the beach. :shaka:

There are people on here who continue to bash anyone who doesn't ride a shortboard - whether that's a bodyboard, longboard, soft top... who gives a fuck what someone else rides? Seriously, it's so fucking stupid.

At the end of the day, it's about getting in the water, regardless of how you do it. The ocean is church for some of us. Therapeutic. The energy you feel after being in the water is something that is difficult to explain to someone who doesn't enjoy the ocean. I guess it's true - "only a surfer knows the feeling."

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
boogie boarders try to act like they charge, but everyone knows it’s easy as fvck to just lay there and hold on. How easy is making the drop when you don’t have to stand up lol.

it’s fun, but it’s lame and should be saved for closeouts and messing around in shorebreak.
Are you a charger? How’s your groveler quiver?

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
They're surprisingly hard to ride well. Plus getting them back OUT to the lineup can be a pain.

would you believe handplanes?

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Surfing is both church and therapy, dum dum :poke:

It's not our fault you haven't evolved yet.

Aren't you supposed to stay off the Internet until you get all your homework done?
I'm gonna tell on you. :trout:

Church and therapy are both dumb, surfing is way better than that

yeah…:monkey:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017

Aren't you supposed to stay off the Internet until you get all your homework done?
You can take that boogie board

shine it up real nice

turn that sumbitch sideways

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006

Who let you back in here cum swallower?

• Wow
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
And a good morning to you as well little buddy. Miss me?:roflmao:

It appears you finally lost some booze weight and are feeling peppy about yourself. You wear your false bravado well -

Did you already move back to Buffalo, or whatever shithole you were shat out of?

there’s a funny rumor about you circulating with the boys down at E Street. :monkey:

Who let you back in here cum swallower?
[/QUOTE]

• Wow
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I will fuck your gf and beat you silly in front of her. Then sodomize you both. Queen.