Where to go for lackluster marginal surf

Jul 8, 2008
I'm taking my 11 year old son on a surf trip next week midweek. He's been short boarding for the last year, suffice it to say it's a steep learning curve. His ideal conditions are mellow pleasure point.

He's been dying to go on a surf strip and was thinking north county. 2-3 foot Cardiff would be pretty ideal. Thing is nothing in that zone is looking like 2-3 feet next week. I'm guessing even the inside could pose a challenge. So now I'm thinking of switching it up and going to Santa Barbara on the assumption that the points will be working..and by that I mean Leadbetter wouldn't be completely flat, but rather look like 38th st.

Is Santa Barbara a dumb idea? Mind you I'm not talking about paddling out to prime Rincon, rather some mushy inside that works for a 4'10" 85 lb grom. Any thoughts welcome! I think

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Ledbetter impersonating 38th would be an epic day in SB. Mondos to Ventura would be a *much* more reliable call.

Reactions: INDTUBE
Jul 8, 2008
Thanks for the recommendations! Just got back after the last three days. That entire zone was the furthest thing from marginal or lackluster. Man that was so much fun.

Reactions: MathDebater