What's Your Number?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The gift that gives for maybe two hours?
That only true if subway is a tight wad.

An 8 ball will last me a month.

A hooker once a week would be fine.

But I like the pretty ones and they are $$$$$

Just keep em coming.

Sure and steady wins the race

So won't you please reach into your wallet if you care to help a kindly older gentleman who could use a helping hand[job]?

His balls will thank you.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
We're at roughly 8 billion humans on the planet and what do you think the percentage is of people who have the luxury of having a "retirement number?" Many of us know people who worked for years and years, only to die a year after retirement. There's also the ones who are truly bored and end up visiting the office frequently to catch up on the local gossip or whatever. I refer back to the saying that if you truly find your passion, you'll never fully retire.

side note: had a 49 year-old have a massive heart attack and die at my local this morning. I wasn't there yet, but my friend pulled him out to administer CPR. It was too late and he had the wife going off the deep end - as she had every right to.

Long story short, I never plan to retire... like Bobby Dylan sang... those not busy being born, are busy dyin'

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
In all seriousness I would be willing to take up an erBB ”suggestion box” so to speak of some of all y’all’s favorite charities. Anything even remotely political will not make the cut, and of course I choose which charities/causes/heroic financial deeds make the cut. And when I’ve chosen say 5 or 10 that resonate with me and I feel are worthy or interesting or noble or whatever, ideally some combo of all those attributes, here is my vow, right here in public. I will allocate $50,000 of my estate split evenly among those chosen recipients off my “planned giving” and it will be an erBB legacy. I will even title the bequests as such. Totally serious, full stop, who deserves 5 or 10 k?( hopefully 50+ years from now obviously) What orgs have that kind of staying power that you just KNOW will be around in a few decades? long lived orgs with low expense ratios ?

anyone in? I’ll be meeting with an estate lawyer in the next few months
Before you decide on which charities to support, divest yourself of the idea that a charity that spends on administration and fundraising (overhead) is necessarily a bad thing.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Before you decide on which charities to support, divest yourself of the idea that a charity that spends on administration and fundraising (overhead) is necessarily a bad thing.

Dude, why you gotta be such a bummer, man.
Come on, you see how pumped subway is for this?
don’t ruin it for him
Or for us,
Or for the children

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Thanks RG, and yes all The white knighting for me recently ensures your progeny a place in my trust

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY

I have no beef with this, some of the greatest and most truly effective NGOs do in fact need to spend a lot to accomplish a lot. But like, I’d sooner leave some cash to the Salvation Army , based solely what I witnessed after sandy, as compared to the FAR richer Red Cross that was nowhere to be seen in those first few most desperate days. And all that weird crap that went down in haiti with the Red Cross…

not that Salvation Army is perfect either, but on the whole they operate by a pretty solid ethos I think, and im an atheist

off the top of my head…These are currently my favorite places to “tithe” if you will,: Doctors Without Borders, a Ghanian orphanage, and the Southampton hospital breast cancer center

I also do a ton of $50 or $100 donations when a facebook friend is doing a birthday fundraiser for A good cause. probably thousands of dollars worth of those a year. I mean, rarely does a day go by without at least one popping up in my feed

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Spend it all while you still can Si.... Live the life even Autoprax couldn't dream of... :roflmao:

On your will, leave it all to wifey to dole out as she sees fit. :computer:

Fook it man, get busy living and stop thinking so much about the dying part and what comes after, you won't be here to enjoy that part.

:waving:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
will do. I've built a solid nut in the last 14 years...... no kids, but a spouse who's 8 years my senior, the nephews and niece would be the next logical heirs if Cthulhu forbid I outlive my wife. I would certainly earmark assets for some places, causes, and people who are near and dear to me as well. "Planned Giving" is the current preferred euphemism lol
Make sure she does what you do at the same time and in the same way.....what mean is, if you're doing this for yourself, you should get it done for her as well. Wherever the $$$ go for either party is beside the point I am trying to make.

Last edited:
Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Spend it all while you still can Si.... Live the life even Autoprax couldn't dream of... :roflmao:

On your will, leave it all to wifey to dole out as she sees fit. :computer:

Fook it man, get busy living and stop thinking so much about the dying part and what comes after, you won't be here to enjoy that part.

:waving:
Dude, i spend plenty on the here and now, but it’s more than likely I will in fact have a few million dollars left assuming I don’t kick before im a proper old man, ready to take his leave. It’s not always easy to find that balance. Shoots i got a little trigger happy on my latest stock purchase that I accidentally left my day to day checking account balance a little lower than I like, so I had to sell some crypto that I would otherwise have kept making money on

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
can't say that isn't inspirational.

I wanna surf and I plan to but I'd get more meaning out of helping my kids and hopefully making some kind of contribution greater than fulfilling desires I fulfilled a million times over in my 20's when I could do it better.
How does one fulfill those desires?

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
by doing it?

If you desire surfing and getting barrelled at Pipe/Chopes/Gnaraloo, you go do it.

That sounds dickish, I don't mean it to be.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
by doing it?

If you desire surfing and getting barrelled at Pipe/Chopes/Gnaraloo, you go do it.

That sounds dickish, I don't mean it to be.
But even when I do it I'm still not satisfied.

In fact the older I get the more I crave.

Viparinama-dukkha(?)...It seems Buddhism really does have all the answers.

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
Dude, i spend plenty on the here and now, but it’s more than likely I will in fact have a few million dollars left assuming I don’t kick before im a proper old man, ready to take his leave. It’s not always easy to find that balance. Shoots i got a little trigger happy on my latest stock purchase that I accidentally left my day to day checking account balance a little lower than I like, so I had to sell some crypto that I would otherwise have kept making money on
Now you are venturing into the Humblebrag Zone. Get your estate sh!t set up so it all goes exactly where you want if you get hit by a bus tomorrow. Don't let the Probate Code of the State of New York determine your money's fate. It is well worth the mid-low 4 figures to hire a competent probate attorney who could easily get this locked up for you, as a person with no divorces and no kids.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Now you are venturing into the Humblebrag Zone. Get your estate sh!t set up so it all goes exactly where you want if you get hit by a bus tomorrow. Don't let the Probate Code of the State of New York determine your money's fate. It is well worth the mid-low 4 figures to hire a competent probate attorney who could easily get this locked up for you, as a person with no divorces and no kids.
This. Just spent $6K in HI on probate attorney and luckily the estate was not complicated enough to need too much follow up/advice/questions.

Reactions: Mr Doof