Whats wrong with this board??

May 3, 2019
Walked into a local shop down here in Florida and stumbled upon this gem of a board.
Shop worker noticed me checking out the board and when she asked if I needed any help I asked her what the deal was with the board and if it was on sale due to the obvious blemishes. She started to explain to me that the board was most likely intentionally done like that to give it a "rustic" type look. Manager heard what was going on and confirmed the board was jacked up. he offered me 25 dollars off...

Can some one identify what exactly happened with this board?

May 3, 2019
Yah thats what I was thinking also. I'm kinda fed up with the company for other reasons but I wanted to get a second opinion before I put the them on blast for trying to sell this board at almost full price.

May 3, 2019
Would the board even be worth it if say hypothetically I did buy it for what I consider to be a good deal??

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
i guarantee you've had a million clear white boards with worse burn throughs that you either either didnt notice or were taken care of with a rattle can of clear coat.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Open weave seeps moisture. If there's an intact layer below the top layer then it's no big deal, but sometimes the sand-throughs go into the bottom layer.

The reason for the oversanding might be related to the laps from the bottom lam (which on shortboards is normally done first) not getting knocked down enough prior to the deck lam going over it, thus raising a lip at the lapline that gets sanded off in order to bring the deck flush. They're sanding through the deck lamination to level out the bump.

It is a real common thing and they're right when they say that some of your clear boards have also been oversanded. Sometimes these get covered with a clear coat or a sealer, but with sanded finishes they usually just leave it.

One way to check for sand throughs in the future is to hold the board up horizonatally to a light source like a shop window or even an overhead light and look across the deck at a slight angle so you can see the finish. Any sand throughs will show up as a weave whereas the areas that still have resin over them will look "sanded".

For my personal boards I actually laminate the deck first and bring the bottom lap onto the deck with a cutlap. I usually don't even sand the deck except with a few passes of 220 to knock down any bumps. I sand my rails to the lapline by hand, using long strokes from end-to-end. You're not surfing the deck - you're covering it with wax so the finish doesn't matter. Leaving the deck "raw" and undisturbed actually makes it a little stronger anyway.

Fredtool

Nep status
Jan 31, 2014
Florida
There is no excuse for a Board looking like that making it into a shop to sold. Who ever put their name on that board should be shared. The shop that put that Board in their racks should be shamed.
There are just too many Well made Boards to deal with a poor quality Boards.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
In the same vein as what 20w mentioned, a shaper once told me that glassing with epoxy when the humidity is high can do some strange things to a glass job.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I'll add a touch of color to an epoxy lam to offset (or accentuate) the yellowing, but I refuse to try to do big tints or opaques in epoxy unless its as an abstract where I'm incorporating the imperfections in the cosmetics.

Volon finishes in the fiberglass leave a nice even light green tint that "yellows" well over time. Plus you get to see the weave.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I picked up a new Tokoro last Friday. There was a blemish in the blank, probably an air bubble. It was filled in with resin but noticeable. I joked look my board has a blem. They would’ve rushed to make me new one. I told them I’m joking just to make sure Wade doesn’t redo my board without telling me. They said no way that blank would’ve got scrubbed if it was going to Japan. But boards in Japan actually turn a profit. I would hate it if I was told they used more than one blank to make my board because of a small air bubble in the foam. Such a waste of material over nothing.

However the board in this post looks horrible. Haha.

May 3, 2019
Oeste858 said:
Duffy said:
That board is probably magic.
LOL
Should have a bigger markdown. I think you should name the board label and shop. That's pretty poor all around.
Board is a Quiet Flight and this board is on the rack at their New Smyrna shop... I was already irritated with them for forgetting about my custom order but after seeing this I am not sure I will buy another of their boards...