What's the deal with air travel these days?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Seems like a major hassle and ticket prices are pretty nuts.

Flown 3x in the past year.

- Lost luggage 3x (one bag sat @SFO for a week, no explanation why it wasn't ever placed on the daily flights)
- Told I would have to gate check an electric guitar because there was no space on board (there were empty overhead bins and plenty of room in the coat closet), the guitar was lost for three days and arrived broken of course.

Flights seem cancelled more than ever

Boeing

Got a message at home my flight was boarding in one hour (was supposed to board in 3 hours) I'm like WTF? Obviously seemed like a bad idea to try to call customer service and figure it out - was halfway done packing said f-it and jumped in an Uber..."Nah, we just sent that message out to try to get you on an earlier flight..you'll be leaving at the originally scheduled time.":poop:

Missed flight in SFO - the ended the boarding process and closed the gate 20 minutes early (apparently this against FAA regs)

City bus vibe on flights - rude stewardesses - everyone up and out of their seats when the fasten seat belt light is on - heavy turbulence and the guy in front of me decides to stand up an play around in the overhead bin.

Had guests coming this weekend - first no plane - then unannounced gate change - plane arrives but no pilot, then no crew - finally get pilot and crew - taxi for hours - pilot said time is up, we have to return to the gate - no gate available, wait more hours - offload passengers, flight cancelled.

Reactions: PRCD

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Nothing works as well after Year Zero.
Yeah.

Thing is if anything should be well organized and efficient it's air travel.

When things start slipping up on the general operations and logistics end it seems like the safety end might be next.

Is this kind of stuff going on outside the USA? Doesn't seem like it.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
which airlines? i think alot of that especially cancellations, wrong times, etc depends on the airline. same with quality or lack thereof of staffing.

after all you get what you pay for and everyone always tries to get the cheapest airfare.
"You get what you pay for." Where's that in the data?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I got upgraded to first class both ways on my round trip flights this week
last might, I landed about a half hour early
On delta

i guess it’s hit or miss

i was kinda pissed that my tsa precheck wasn’t added to my boarding pass
then I realized it expired

Reactions: npsp

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Are you guys checking luggage?

When I was at SFO a few weeks ago there was a lot of screaming and shouting at the terminal across the way...apparently the flight was delayed hours supposedly due to weather in Miami... the passengers did some basic investigating and were able to figure out there was no weather issue in Miami...clear skies and calm winds :roflmao: some guy was yelling he was missing his own birthday party.:roflmao:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
round trip jfk / Reno through slc /lax last month checked snowboard and boots
no problem
upgraded on the short legs
meanwhile, I have short legs, so the upgrades, especially for short flights, mean way more to others than to me