What's going on in South Africa?

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
To add to that, there's no excuse for anybody who surfs and lives in S.CA to never go to Baja.

It costs virtually nothing.

But yeah, it's a shithole.

Stay home turds.

I'm sure OT doesn't need another one floating in the lineup. :hat:

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
You could start by not calling other cultures and people shitholes.

You don't have to travel.

Just don't be a dick about it.
Place =/= culture or people

Words have meanings
Actualy it's all connected.

Maybe you will leave OC one day. :bawling:
Nope. It isn't. Learn to separate
How is it separate dummy?

People are what makes the culture what makes the country.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:
No, its because they live in shitholes
Only bitter people who have never seen the world think that.

Sad.
Nah, people who live in shitholes are acutely aware of it
You've never been anywhere.

Everything single person who talks like you, have never been anywhere.

It shows.
You think you know so much about me when you don't

You should probably stop projecting your prejudices, ignorance, and fantasies on others in order to make a point. Its not a good look.

In addition to that, personal experience is not the be all and end all of learning. Prejudiced perceptions like your own cloud any judgement you can make.

The fact that large-scale immigration from shitholes to the 1st World continues to exist and the fact that you live here now proves my whole point. Even on a smaller level, look how many people from the Midwest move to the coasts in the US. People in shitholes know they live in shitholes and look for any opportunity to escape.

Maybe if you can finally realize that calling a place a shithole doesn't mean that you're calling the person or culture a shithole it wouldn't cause you to have such a conniption fit. But who am I kidding on that? :roflmao:
Name your 5 best surf trips.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
OTdos said:
GromDad:
"Supporting a family of five is expensive. Traveling to surf with a family of five is pretty freaking expensive. It is what it is."

That was the point I was trying make in my last post above. I opted out of that. Choices & priorities. One is not inherently better than the other by any means.
Like Billy, I do not travel abroad anymore. That type of thing drys up quick after you stop working.
I stay local too, just like Billy. Fortunately I live on a giant peninsula that's like a desert park in most all of it. Only takes gas for my truck.
BUT ..... the place is in a one of those "shitholes" :roflmao:
Just the board bag fees alone travelling with boards for 4 surfers. In my recent trip I had two big bags stuffed with boards. I had one board bag damaged on the flight out and one bag damaged on the flight home. No major damage thank goodness but basically ever single board needed repairs.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
GromsDad said:
OTdos said:
GromDad:
"Supporting a family of five is expensive. Traveling to surf with a family of five is pretty freaking expensive. It is what it is."

That was the point I was trying make in my last post above. I opted out of that. Choices & priorities. One is not inherently better than the other by any means.
Like Billy, I do not travel abroad anymore. That type of thing drys up quick after you stop working.
I stay local too, just like Billy. Fortunately I live on a giant peninsula that's like a desert park in most all of it. Only takes gas for my truck.
Just the board bag fees alone travelling with boards for 4 surfers. In my recent trip I had two big bags stuffed with boards. I had one board bag damaged on the flight out and one bag damaged on the flight home. No major damage thank goodness but basically ever single board needed repairs.
Wah.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:
No, its because they live in shitholes
Only bitter people who have never seen the world think that.

Sad.
Nah, people who live in shitholes are acutely aware of it
You've never been anywhere.

Everything single person who talks like you, have never been anywhere.

It shows.
You think you know so much about me when you don't

You should probably stop projecting your prejudices, ignorance, and fantasies on others in order to make a point. Its not a good look.

In addition to that, personal experience is not the be all and end all of learning. Prejudiced perceptions like your own cloud any judgement you can make.

The fact that large-scale immigration from shitholes to the 1st World continues to exist and the fact that you live here now proves my whole point. Even on a smaller level, look how many people from the Midwest move to the coasts in the US. People in shitholes know they live in shitholes and look for any opportunity to escape.

Maybe if you can finally realize that calling a place a shithole doesn't mean that you're calling the person or culture a shithole it wouldn't cause you to have such a conniption fit. But who am I kidding on that? :roflmao:
You have no room to talk about prejudice.

I only ever have a problem with bigots like you. Literally nobody else.

That's not prejudice. Words have meanings. You are using the wrong word.

I don't think I'm smarter because I traveled but I don't make a judgement about places I know nothing about.

When you talk about shitholes, you seem to think strictly in material terms, nothing else.
Poverty doesn't make place a shithole.

Just to remind you, the term "shithole" that Trump came up with and you so eagerly adopted, was referring to people, since he was talking about immigrants from "shitholes".

As always, your entire shtick is to spit on people who have done nothing to you other than simply exist.

That's why I don't like you.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
GromsDad said:
OTdos said:
GromDad:

I guess that's a good reason not to go anywhere.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
I have traveled a lot to surf. Many places in the world. Usually with a friend or by myself. I reckon solo surf traveling works the best. I would invariably meet people from other countries, other surf travelers, many of whom have become lifelong friends. Almost all my friends I met on surf trips. Travelling to surf with your family would be very difficult. It's hard to be a good dad and a good surf traveler. Compromises are made, but my family shares my joy and I share theirs. That having been said, I'm not going to miss a graduation or wedding or anything important. I just got back from a great snowboard trip with four friends. Now I can't go again for a while. Not sure exactly how long, hoping for the end of the month, sneak one in.

I'm sure my experience is the same as most of you posting here and is rather obvious.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
FecalFace said:
Autoprax said:
I think the leaders in SA are making a mistake that will bite the country in the ass.

You got to build the rich white farmers golden bridges to retreat on.

But the black leaders don't care because they will benefit from the chaos.

They are running on auto pilot.
40+ years of apartheid will do that.

Same happened after the fall of communism and every opressive regime really.
I'm not saying change doesn't need to take place.

They are just going about it wrong.

But what do I know.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Autoprax said:
FecalFace said:
Autoprax said:
I think the leaders in SA are making a mistake that will bite the country in the ass.

You got to build the rich white farmers golden bridges to retreat on.

But the black leaders don't care because they will benefit from the chaos.

They are running on auto pilot.
40+ years of apartheid will do that.

Same happened after the fall of communism and every opressive regime really.
I'm not saying change doesn't need to take place.

They are just going about it wrong.

But what do I know.
I agree.

The pendulum swings both ways, unfortunately.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
1whoknows said:
I have traveled a lot to surf. Many places in the world. Usually with a friend or by myself. I reckon solo surf traveling works the best. I would invariably meet people from other countries, other surf travelers, many of whom have become lifelong friends. Almost all my friends I met on surf trips. Travelling to surf with your family would be very difficult. It's hard to be a good dad and a good surf traveler. Compromises are made, but my family shares my joy and I share theirs. That having been said, I'm not going to miss a graduation or wedding or anything important. I just got back from a great snowboard trip with four friends. Now I can't go again for a while. Not sure exactly how long, hoping for the end of the month, sneak one in.

I'm sure my experience is the same as most of you posting here and is rather obvious.
I have a friend who does like you say. He's been pretty much everywhere. He comes home and works his ass off then travels again. Probably does 5 trips a year to far flung places. The key for him is he's self employed and has no children. For me the past decade my surf trips have been more about the kids than me. They all surf well and one of them rips. We just got back from a west coast trip and I'm already getting pressure from my young charger to take him to Hawaii next year. He may get Costa Rica instead.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

I see a breathe holding contest in the making here.

Define a good surf trip. What kind of wave count/$$ would make a good surf trip for you? Guided trip? Accommodations?

You guys are too gnarly for me. :drowning:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
So what have we figured out?

1. Africa is fvcked.

2. It will still be a great surf trip.

3. Gross Dad is still a stupid man, most likely due to faultily neuroception caused by trauma.

4. If you want to go on surf trips you either a) should not have kids or b) have access to money, preferably by inheriting it.

That is the best way I have found to gain financial wealth.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
ElOgro said:

Define a good surf trip. What kind of wave count/$$ would make a good surf trip for you? Guided trip? Accommodations?

Central A/C
Pretty, Agreeable Affordable Hookers
Inexpensive alcohol
Decent food
Opium den
Flying business in a pod
Empty point break

I'm an easy going guy.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
I’m only good for surfing about 3 hrs per day

If it’s multiple days in a row, probably reduce to like 2.5 hrs

So it can’t be a total sausage fest

There needs to be an outdoor bar with chicks with loose morals

Also no Ebola

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
GromsDad said:
1whoknows said:

I have a friend who does like you say. He's been pretty much everywhere. He comes home and works his ass off then travels again. Probably does 5 trips a year to far flung places. The key for him is he's self employed and has no children. For me the past decade my surf trips have been more about the kids than me. They all surf well and one of them rips. We just got back from a west coast trip and I'm already getting pressure from my young charger to take him to Hawaii next year. He may get Costa Rica instead.
My kids don't surf. Or enjoy the snow that much. They're brainiac nerds. They prefer museums and libraries. And gourmet restaurants. Not that I didn't try to get them into outdoor sports. They're just not into it. Neither is my wife. So, easy for me to go on trips solo or with a friend or two. You get what you get.... and it's all good.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
My kids are all surf stoked. There would be no going on a trip and leaving one of them behind at this stage. When they were younger it was pretty cool when I could just travel with my oldest. Now I bring my own crowd when I show up somewhere. Won't last much longer though. Goes by fast.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
ElOgro said:

at this point? I make it to the beach, pull on a wetsuit and surf :bricks: