What to do with a stack of Surfer's Journals

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
I have a complete set as well, hope that $32K isn't a typo! Be a nice little chunk of change for the grandkids someday when I'm dead and gone. Complete set of Longboard Mag and SurfReports too.View attachment 168532
Nice looking collection Randy! I was thinking the same thing...leave them for the kids/future grand kids to appreciate or sell for a nice chunk of cash. I still have a ton of the old Surfer mags but no longer have any of my Surf Reports. You still surfing middles regularly? Hope you are doing well.

I had a stack of old Surfer Mags that I sold. I regret it. Luckily I kept all the issues from the 70's.
I had a lot of Surfer and Surfing magazines from the 70's and 80's that I sold online to an anonymous woman... Later after the sale was official, the woman told the truth... "She" was in fact Steve Wilkings, senior staff photog for many years at Surfer... Needed my stuff to fill out his collection... I looked at as the completion of a circle of influence...

Jun 16, 2012
san clemente
Nice looking collection Randy! I was thinking the same thing...leave them for the kids/future grand kids to appreciate or sell for a nice chunk of cash. I still have a ton of the old Surfer mags but no longer have any of my Surf Reports. You still surfing middles regularly? Hope you are doing well.
Yeah Josh! Still getting out a couple times a week, Church mostly, but had fun session at middles last week on the glider.
Wish I would have had the space to keep the Surfer collection going, but they took up so much room. I always figured I had access to the whole archive at work so I didn't bother having them at home. Now all I have is some early sixties rare ones I kept from when I was a kid and the hardbound issues they used to make for us back in the 80's and 90's. You still have yours?Unfortunately, each succeeding ownership group made me get rid of more and more of the archive to where at the end there was nothing left!
Happy Holidays to you and the family!

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
I gave all my Surfer/Surfing away to an erBBr quite a while ago.
He said his kids would love them as they were both surfing. (BTW, I met them when they came to get them - stellar kids!)
Everything from 80's through the mid 20teens, even gave them the last Surfer published.
However, I could not let go of my mid60's through 70's.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Yeah Josh! Still getting out a couple times a week, Church mostly, but had fun session at middles last week on the glider.
Wish I would have had the space to keep the Surfer collection going, but they took up so much room. I always figured I had access to the whole archive at work so I didn't bother having them at home. Now all I have is some early sixties rare ones I kept from when I was a kid and the hardbound issues they used to make for us back in the 80's and 90's. You still have yours?Unfortunately, each succeeding ownership group made me get rid of more and more of the archive to where at the end there was nothing left!
Happy Holidays to you and the family!
Randy man!!!
great too see you on here dude. But your story makes me sad. Miss watching you tear up west swell middles brother.

Reactions: Joshua2415
Dec 27, 2020
Not the right market here but I have a complete uncirculated set of Longboard Magazine which was gifted to me by the publisher if you know anyone interested...

Jun 16, 2012
san clemente
Randy man!!!
great too see you on here dude. But your story makes me sad. Miss watching you tear up west swell middles brother.
Hey Chris, those were some good days for sure! Still can't believe we got paid to work with such a good crew and score so many fun sessions at lunch. It is sad what became of it all. Interestingly, I just got an invite for former employees to come to a Carlsbad office (where the Surfer Group ended up) open house for the building closure, I guess to pick through whatever bones are left.
Hope all is well for you and the family, give me a shout next time you come out this way and we'll sneak out for a surf.

Reactions: Joshua2415

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
Hey Chris, those were some good days for sure! Still can't believe we got paid to work with such a good crew and score so many fun sessions at lunch. It is sad what became of it all. Interestingly, I just got an invite for former employees to come to a Carlsbad office (where the Surfer Group ended up) open house for the building closure, I guess to pick through whatever bones are left.
Hope all is well for you and the family, give me a shout next time you come out this way and we'll sneak out for a surf.
The good old days! Say hi to all the old timers for me. Hope to see you in the water soon.