What to do with a stack of old boards?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
donate somehow? Sell in bulk to local surf shop for their rental inventory?

the “good” boards are weathered and aged and not likely to attract real buyers .Custom short boards from when I was a fatty- pretty banged up at this point and such specific dims (for fatties who like thrusters)

couple of pop outs of various sizes.

I don’t really feel like trying to sell them online for $50.

I need to do some googling I think there are surf camps for underprivileged inner city kids in rockaway. They’d probably use them.

what do you guys do?

Reactions: mundus

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Sounds like a good charity, but you might have to organize it
Consignment?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Anybody remember that guy in Florida? I think his name was Wayne, had some kind of a surf Evangelical mission gig, went up and down the East Coast giving away boards and preaching. He was creepy and got a lot of grief for preaching in surf forums like this one, got banned here and there it was always looking for surfboard donations, this was at 10 years ago. :shrug:

Reactions: Chocki

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

the “good” boards are weathered and aged and not likely to attract real buyers .Custom short boards from when I was a fatty- pretty banged up at this point and such specific dims (for fatties who like thrusters)

I need to do some googling I think there are surf camps for underprivileged inner city kids in rockaway. They’d probably use them.

what do you guys do?
It won't help you... but I have a friend who works with youth in Tijuana and I would give him my old boards to give to kids there.

Reactions: Subway

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I have this problem too. A few ancient boards that I ill never ride again, roasting in my garage rafters.

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Take some on your next surf trip and give them away to the local kids. They'll be stoked.

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Maybe this:

Surf For All is a not for profit 501c3 organization based in Long Beach, NY. We are dedicated to assisting individuals and exposing them to the ocean. We help cultivate a joy for surfing as well as maximize surfing potential. We believe the ocean is a source of healing and spiritual strength that should be accessible to all.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah there are a few special needs surf groups around here. I volunteer with one of them 2x per summer but they mostly use soft tops and giant tandems. Worth a call though

Reactions: Chocki

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com

what do you guys do?
IMG_8675.jpegst

prop them up next to your pool.

Reactions: sussle

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Just missing the pool. This is 5 of the 9 I’m getting rid of.
IMG_1209.jpeg

Reactions: Hump

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Just missing the pool. This is 5 of the 9 I’m getting rid of.
View attachment 167855
I like that fat fish in the middle. Looks thick and chunky, which is about my speed at the moment.

Did I mentioned that I too have special needs? Yes, I also believe the ocean is a source of healing and spiritual strength that should be accessible to me.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
That’s a Hynson BKQ. 6 0 and 3 inches. Was a magic board whilst I was fat and drunk. Bought it off an erBBer like 13 years ago.
lok box. One of the fins is stuck, needs a few other little repairs but otherwise is still solid. Way too big for me these days, and I have a board that fits that spot in the quiver. Haven’t ridden the Hynson in 8 or 10 years

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I know there's a lot of people sitting on a lot of boards that will never be ridden. I wish there was a way to try all kinds of different boards near me.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I just threw a bunch out in the dumpster at work when I moved because no one wanted them and they were not bad boards but I had no room for them anymore and wasn't going to use them so... landfill now.