What should America do about the childhood obesity epidemic?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I was thinking the other day about how we are being served mixed messages.

On the one hand "body positivity" is being promoted, "healthy and beautiful at any weight," and on the other hand this "epidemic."

Can't be both.
It’s not both. It was never both. It’s always unhealthy.

Reactions: grapedrink

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I keep listening to people in their 20s and 30s who are into "wellness", raving about their nutrition genre and how great it works for them.

In reality, any diet in moderation and any type of exercise at that age works.

It's only when you get to your 50s/60s that you start figuring out that you've been doing it wrong all along.

Placebo is a hella drug.

I have some wellness friends who went from 20 years of vegetarianism to eating liver every day becuz did you see how ripped Liver King is? rofl

Internet is cancer.
It’s not the internet’s fault that your “wellness friends” are complete fuckking morons. Anyone who thought liver king wasn’t taking all the steroids at stupid levels it just plain dumb.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
It’s not the internet’s fault that your “wellness friends” are complete fuckking morons. Anyone who thought liver king wasn’t taking all the steroids at stupid levels it just plain dumb.
Always blame the people who fell for it instead of those who create these dumbass trends.

It's all about personal responsibility - except for those who actually spread the misinformation.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
no, very serious.

Also....I love how we subsidize all the unhealthy sh!t that's in our food and then sit around wondering why we're so fat.
Gut health is bullshit except for a very very tiny tiny percentage of people. People that take and people that preach gut health are equally stupid.

Fun fact. No one has ever defined what gut health is because there's no way to test for it, there's no way to validate it....there's no range or normal range. How do we test and what are the metrics of interpretation. There aren't even any defined complications of "gut health" aside of known medical disorders like celiac disease or IBS. To pretend otherwise is silly.

Exercises in science and academia are worthwhile but to take a few papers and then try and define a medical condition is the work of charlatans.

Always be wary of these vague nebulous things. More often than not these are the triggers of symptoms in physiologically normal people.

Reactions: kidfury

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Gut health is bullshit except for a very very tiny tiny percentage of people. People that take and people that preach gut health are equally stupid.

Fun fact. No one has ever defined what gut health is because there's no way to test for it, there's no way to validate it....there's no range or normal range. How do we test and what are the metrics of interpretation. There aren't even any defined complications of "gut health" aside of known medical disorders like celiac disease or IBS. To pretend otherwise is silly.

Exercises in science and academia are worthwhile but to take a few papers and then try and define a medical condition is the work of charlatans.

Always be wary of these vague nebulous things. More often than not these are the triggers of symptoms in physiologically normal people.
You really shouldn't talk so confidently about something that you seem to admit you don't know much about.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

file under "you don't know what you don't know". There's tons of published work on this topic.

And I'm sure you're well aware that livestock farmers routinely give antibiotics to their herds to induce weight gain. One of the hypotheses is that this disrupts native microbiome assemblages which increases weight gain (although not lean mass).

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
file under "you don't know what you don't know". There's tons of published work on this topic.

And I'm sure you're well aware that livestock farmers routinely give antibiotics to their herds to induce weight gain. One of the hypotheses is that this disrupts native microbiome assemblages which increases weight gain (although not lean mass).
Published work doesn't equal successful interventions.

Why are the symptoms of bad gut health?

How is it defined?

How do you test for it?

Most importantly...how can two people with identical test results have different presentations?

When retested to verify why do the results change?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Some people believe that shaming fat people motivates fat people to get in shape and deter people from becoming overweight
Are you being facetious?

If you're like me, and I think a lot of you must be or you wouldn't be on the erBB, count yourself lucky to have found (most ikely in your youth) an activity, surfing, that requires you to be and helps keep you fit and healthy. When I see a fat person I always think, "I would do whatever I could to remediate that situation." But that's me. I have a friend who's struggled with her weight her whole life. I recently saw her and it looks like she just gave up. I almost don't blame her. I know how hard she's struggled for at least the 30 years I've known her and now at 60+ years old she probably just said, "Fuk it."

I'm a "health nut" to some extent and do not agree 100% with "body positivity," The risks should not be ignored. But I try not to judge people or have any hostility towards them because of their weight. Instead, I sense some of you are disgusted by and hostile towards fat people who are just trying to live their lives.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
You forgot to post the argument (that doesn’t exist, at least not from HAES).

You should do some reading before regurgitating the results of a google search. Or perhaps you’re unclear about the meaning of ‘argument’ and/or ‘slogan’. In any case, you should read what they say at the HAES site, it’s enlightening.

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Are you being facetious?

If you're like me, and I think a lot of you must be or you wouldn't be on the erBB, count yourself lucky to have found (most ikely in your youth) an activity, surfing, that requires you to be and helps keep you fit and healthy. When I see a fat person I always think, "I would do whatever I could to remediate that situation." But that's me. I have a friend who's struggled with her weight her whole life. I recently saw her and it looks like she just gave up. I almost don't blame her. I know how hard she's struggled for at least the 30 years I've known her and now at 60+ years old she probably just said, "Fuk it."

I'm a "health nut" to some extent and do not agree 100% with "body positivity," The risks should not be ignored. But I try not to judge people or have any hostility towards them because of their weight. Instead, I sense some of you are disgusted by and hostile towards fat people who are just trying to live their lives.
Now, do the same for smoking and alcoholism.

Reactions: Ifallalot