What is your can't go wrong board for low to average surf?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Hey Aruka, your response is totally reasoned and well-thought out, and fwiw I'm quite happy for the discussion and can't disagree with any of it. BUT there are some folks on this forum that respond to any topic regarding FW boards with all kinds of racist bullshit about Asians, and that's not cool. I'm frankly surprised we haven't seen it yet in this thread. So yeah, I'm not gonna tell anyone that FW's business model is great, but what I do know is that they have a few boards that work pretty well (and a few that don't) and there are tons and tons more builders out there that can also build a great (or shitty board) and I'm not calling any of those builders any kinds of racial epithets when I talk about them.
I don't read every post on this forum so maybe I've missed these posts. I think when I sense a thread going off the rails I just bail. Despite my feelings on the matter I don't think it's overly constructive to critisize people who choose to ride overseas boards so I don't normally waste my time doing so I just thought your previous post wasn't exactly a fair representation of the most common objection to the "FW subject". We've had many FW threads on here over the years including with Mark Price the former CEO of FW chiming in and the bulk of the arguments were about the actual business model and whatnot.

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
I think the main objection to the Asian made boards, whether they be Firewire or Surftech, etc. is that they are a threat to the domestic surfboard industry. By taking advantage of, or some might even say exploiting, cheap labor and lax environmental regulations in foreign countries these companies are able to produce surfboards at a cost that is very hard to compete with. Of course you could argue that, well everything else we use is made in Asia so why not surfboards? I think the difference is that, in the case of most consumer goods, that ship has already sailed. The larger, more profitable domestic industries have long been hollowed out and those jobs have been shipped overseas. You can't buy a US made phone or TV or cordless drill or whatever. You can still buy a board that was made in the USA though.

The domestic surfboard industry has somehow persisted for various reasons. Low profit margins, difficulty of automation and the relatively small overall market size being likely the main reasons. People that are invested in the domestic surfboard industry, whether they work in the industry itself or whether they are just long time surfers who have come to understand and appreciate the value of a custom shaped surfboard, have been and will likely continue to be antagonistic to the Firewire's and Surftech's of the industry and it's very understandable and justifiable I think.

Oh and as to the original question of the thread, my favorite board for 2-4 ft average surf is an 8 ft. rasta Wavestorm.
Agree with the sentiment - but also find it weird that the likes of CI, Hayden Shapes, Lost, Chilli, JS, Sharpeye etc get a pass from the flak that firewire cops when a portion of their boards come out of Thailand and Indonesia also.

Mar 25, 2009
We've had many FW threads on here over the years including with Mark Price the former CEO of FW chiming in and the bulk of the arguments were about the actual business model and whatnot.
I'm a bit sensitive to this particular kind of shittiness so it jumps out at me. I've definitely noticed that there are users that discuss and criticize FW's biz practices, and users that toss out random racist bullshit, and those are two totally separate groups of users.

Anyway, I've sidetracked the thread enough. Sunday works :) Other boards will work too... That blue Aipa looks siiick. I'm digging twins in the conditions the OP mentioned.

ckupczynski1

OTF status
Oct 14, 2009
Any of those Lost Domesticated boards will work. My RV was awesome 2-4ft waves and the beanbag is just stupid fun. Especially on those 2-3ft deep high tide days

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Agree with the sentiment - but also find it weird that the likes of CI, Hayden Shapes, Lost, Chilli, JS, Sharpeye etc get a pass from the flak that firewire cops when a portion of their boards come out of Thailand and Indonesia also.
The difference (in my mind) is that the other shapers you list have "domestic" boards you have the option to purchase (and customize).

Firewire doesn't give you that choice.

I'm not going to sit here and repeat the tired old mantra that Firewire's suck, blah blah blah. They do have some good boards and that's why they're still relevant today. I used to own a Firewire SKX that I absolutely loved.

But I'd personally rather buy a board from a shaper where I can customize things.

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
And for the Firewire haters the Seaside can also hold its own in just about anything from 2-6ft

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
For the record, I was kidding about shaka boy being racist in the crutch board topic, although it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the little guy is a racist.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Hey Aruka, your response is totally reasoned and well-thought out, and fwiw I'm quite happy for the discussion and can't disagree with any of it. BUT there are some folks on this forum that respond to any topic regarding FW boards with all kinds of racist bullshit about Asians, and that's not cool. I'm frankly surprised we haven't seen it yet in this thread. So yeah, I'm not gonna tell anyone that FW's business model is great, but what I do know is that they have a few boards that work pretty well (and a few that don't) and there are tons and tons more builders out there that can also build a great (or shitty board) and I'm not calling any of those builders any kinds of racial epithets when I talk about them.
For the record, I was kidding about shaka boy being racist in the crutch board topic, although it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the little guy is a racist.
You gyys talkibg to yourselves?

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
2-4 ft faces is almost head high for me cause I’m an midget, errrr little person. Old, errrr seen many moons, aaaah been around the block a few times. And fat, errr won’t pass up a buffet. Or whatever term doesn’t offend you guys when I’m describing me. Oh yeah Asian too, not made in Asia but a replica.

This boar was fun in soft up to head high waves. Fins at 7 3/4 so passed the Griffin smell test. Shaped and designed locally by an Asian replica. All the people who touched it while being made are surfers.

On a serious note I know everyone involved with me getting this locally made custom boar. From the blank supplier, resin supplier, shaper, airbrusher, guys that glass, sand, set fins. Even the sales reps for the fins, wax and tail pad that went on the boar. That’s why I support locally built custom boars. My purchase puts food on their tables.

223EF773-9631-4DC8-810F-62B39C143EE6.jpeg