What is needed for a beachbreak to be good?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Sure, manmade structures make a significant difference but what about relatively featureless beaches?

Just about every good beachbreak I can think of has a significant dropoff and/or submarine canyon just offshore and that has to play a significant factor. That extra dose of refraction helps a lot, even more so than jetty placement IMO. Look at the difference between say, Pacific Beach and Blacks. They face pretty much the same direction, open to the same swells, hell, PB even has a pier, but laughably different in terms of wave quality. The manmade features do help with channels, though, which is a godsend for beachbreaks.

Agree about the shorter periods. Well, it's not that long periods aren't good, it's just so much water moving that everything just becomes a lot more difficult to deal with, not to mention just getting out in the first place. On the other hand, shorter periods where you can't see over the top of waves to see waves behind them can make things a royal pain in the ass. At least you don't have as much time to bemoan your soon-to-be underwater fate.
The problem with longer periods is often it's walled out to all hell.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
What I like about windswell is it doesn't get hyped and there are peaks everywhere.

The long period Cape Verde Hurricane swells here are hyped for a week before it gets here so everyone is here.
Tweaked for average East Coast beachbreak. Shoals and island/inlet spots with refraction surfed separately.

Although some of North Florida's beaches actually seem to get good shape on ESE/SE groundswells.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Tweaked for average East Coast beachbreak. Shoals and island/inlet spots with refraction surfed separately.

Although some of North Florida's beaches actually seem to get good shape on ESE/SE groundswells.
I love hurricane swells here.

So punchy.

Very rare

My dad was in the hospital and just had surgery.

My friend calls me and says it's pumping.

We are in the post op and I say "Mom. I got to go. There is a pumping hurricane swell."

It was too.

She got mad but got over it.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I love hurricane swells here.

So punchy.

Very rare

My dad was in the hospital and just had surgery.

My friend calls me and says it's pumping.

We are in the post op and I say "Mom. I got to go. There is a pumping hurricane swell."

It was too.

She got mad but got over it.
Extremely angled as well; this really helps. Top Gun beach football can become Top Gun beach breaklefts. Or something. Jennifer Connelly doing the secks unfortunately not included.

Reactions: Chocki

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
The problem with longer periods is often it's walled out to all hell.
The long continental shelf beachbreaks turn to complete sh!t when that happens - agreed.

If otherwise featureless, though, what makes one random beach develop better sandbars than another? Enough medium to large swells to move sand around?

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
If otherwise featureless, though, what makes one random beach develop better sandbars than another? Enough medium to large swells to move sand around?
Or dig a 2m deep trench right at the shore and deposit the sand 100m out where it is too deep anyway.

So noone agrees on the tide? France has big tide, Huntington fairly big, Ocean beach SF has 5ft+, florida 3-4ft.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The long continental shelf beachbreaks turn to complete sh!t when that happens - agreed.

Not sure I agree with the first part entirely. North Florida has a vast continental shelf and does hilariously better on long period swells than the zones with better bathymetry to the South, as long as we're comparing beachbreak to beachbreak.

For better sandbars, I'd say angled swell and nearby sand sources.

Or dig a 2m deep trench right at the shore and deposit the sand 100m out where it is too deep anyway.

So noone agrees on the tide? France has big tide, Huntington fairly big, Ocean beach SF has 5ft+, florida 3-4ft.
That 2m deep trench will last a tide cycle in the Gulf. Never mind a place with waves.

North Florida's tides are more in the 5-6 foot range. Some of them are flat with an inside sand ledge, a trough/trench, and an outside sandbar, and some of them have a trough/trench right off the (steeper) sand and then a sandbar on the far side of that trench that slowly gets deeper.

IMHO most beachbreaks that don't benefit from a canyon or jetty will have tide as a contributing factor - around here I'd say it's hilariously more important than wind - but I would not say the mere existence of the word 'tide' or a small or large swing makes a beachbreak inherently good or bad.

Pascuales has a miniscule tide range. Outstanding beachbreak. New Smyrna and Mayport have larger tide ranges and are good spots for Florida. There are some beachbreaks in the North part of Central California that you noted are 4-5' tide range and those are good to outstanding beachbreaks.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Plenty of places in CA with no structures that just need sandbars and swell. Lots of 805 surfing is looking for the good sand between Arnolds and Ventura Harbor.

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Not sure I agree with the first part entirely. North Florida has a vast continental shelf and does hilariously better on long period swells than the zones with better bathymetry to the South, as long as we're comparing beachbreak to beachbreak.

For better sandbars, I'd say angled swell and nearby sand sources.
What's your definition of long period, though?

True about the sand sources - the spots I am thinking about may not have a rivermouth right THERE but within a couple miles for sure.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Plenty of places in CA with no structures that just need sandbars and swell. Lots of 805 surfing is looking for the good sand between Arnolds and Ventura Harbor.
This is where the submarine canyon helps in a big way. There's a reason that certain spots in that region actually get peakier as they get bigger.