What has volume done for you?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'm with jkb. I only really made a mistake once, when all I'd ever owned that wasn't a pretty standard small wave thruster was a quadfish. It was an alt but felt exactly like my shortboard in small surf. I knew I would have wanted more width/thickness pretty quickly. Actually sold it for about $10 more than I paid.

Now I have a pretty good idea having owned a range with volume number. If it's bottom end grovel I want X, if it's a squash thruster for stomach-head bit + I want Y, and the alts I can get a pretty solid idea within that range.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Allows you to quantity the "feels good on my arm" sensation. Stops me from buying too small boards which was definitely a problem in the past.

More knowledge is never bad from the consumer end. I think some don't like it because it helps cut down on the bullshit voodoo that some shapers/shops thrive on. No one can talk you into a board that you know won't float you. For people who get boards directly from a shaper where they have a relationship over the years probably not as helpful as for those who buy used or off the rack like I tend to do.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
For people who get boards directly from a shaper where they have a relationship over the years probably not as helpful as for those who buy used or off the rack like I tend to do.
I have a life long friendship with my shapers. I asked them if volume helps when they design custom boards. They both say it’s hard when the dimensions a customer want don’t add up to the volume they want. So they have to call, text or email the buyer and suggest a 1/16 of an inch wider or thicker or 1/2 in longer. I’ve gotten that call before.

I’ve told both to adjust the numbers to however they think make the most sense in their design . They know how I surf and where. I think the shape of the rail has been the design aspect I’ve noticed the most going up in volume as I get older. My dd from last summer jumped up a couple liters in volume and the rails got boxier. It took a couple sessions to adjust. I had to tell myself Michel Bourez rail work when I took off. After a couple surfs the adjustments came without thinking. We have a rail template I like to get close to that was different on that board, but it all worked out. But standing up on that first wave I thought oh no I went up too much in volume.

Oh, as for used boards the last two I took to a shop to sell they asked if I knew the volume on one cause it was older and not written down as part of the dims. So it’s obvious the used board buyers are requesting that info too.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Volume is probably the last thing we talk about when I order a board, but we talk about volume. I give them dims, what spot and how big the waves it’s meant for. We’ll talk about the last board I ordered that fills this place in the quiver and any adjustments I would like. Last couple boards Wade texted me a screenshot of the design and the volume number. I always tell him and Kerry just do your magic if you have to fudge the dims I’m ok just write down the numbers from the order form I’m never going to measure it anyway. Boards have been coming out great for a long time.
This is exactly what I do to avoid a 3 page post on how my custom does not look right to me so I can not surf it backside or frontside:)

• Love
Reactions: ciscojaws

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Volume has been a game-changer for me. I don't stick to a strick volume per se but it allows me to roughly know what I'm getting myself into and it's useful all the way up to my sub 7' step-ups.

I'd love to see rocker be the next measurement that gets surfaced to customers in a digestible way. I think the shapers know best thing is a real fallacy for experienced surfers that know their equipment and have some modicum of self-awareness.

surfapotomus

OTF status
Jan 21, 2014
on a leash
It lets me know before I even touch one what kind of board it is. 5'6" and 30L is a groveler. 5'9" 30L is a shortboard hybrid. 6'0" 30L is a HPSB. As someone mentioned before, it just gives me an idea how it's foiled.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
IMO and in relation to the templates in particular, the curve is the thing, not the numbers. In the templates, some combinations of widths result in nicer curves than others. And that's not even getting into the black arts of the combinations of curves that go into the bottom and deck rockers. A lot of times the formulas of adding x amount of width for every inch in length doesn't necessarily capture the same quality curve through the template than the original started with.

If you've ever ordered a custom that was more than a little different in length from the original and wondered why the new version doesn't look as kewl as the original, that's one possible reason why. The point being, if you like a template but want different lengths or widths, don't hamstring the shaper by dictating the specifics lest they simply give you exactly what you asked for.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
IMO and in relation to the templates in particular, the curve is the thing, not the numbers. In the templates, some combinations of widths result in nicer curves than others. And that's not even getting into the black arts of the combinations of curves that go into the bottom and deck rockers. A lot of times the formulas of adding x amount of width for every inch in length doesn't necessarily capture the same quality curve through the template than the original started with.

If you've ever ordered a custom that was more than a little different in length from the original and wondered why the new version doesn't look as kewl as the original, that's one possible reason why. The point being, if you like a template but want different lengths or widths, don't hamstring the shaper by dictating the specifics lest they simply give you exactly what you asked for.

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
Super helpful with shortboards but being ignorant was bliss too. Anything over 7' volume isn't a concern.