What Happened to Cortes Bank

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I've dove it 2 times, we were out on fishing trips on my buddy's commercial long-line boat and brought the dive gear.
Both times we scored on the weather, it was grease calm and the tides weren't too extreme.
By far one of the most magical dives I had ever done, just like a giant fish tank, almost like Monterey Bay aquarium.
on one dive I ended up down around 120' kneeling on the sand between these walls looking up, the vis was unreal. We were after lobster and there was plenty to be had.
My first trip was like that (early 00s), anchored up for 3 days with Indian Summer conditions, amazing viz on scuba/nitrox, max to about 80-90'. It was like scaling and exploring an underwater mountain forest, 3-4x per day and best scuba dives of my life. The rest were freedive spearo trips, one with walls of YT that would appear/disappear on the inside, tuna on the outside edge of the reef. Have been weather skunked at least 3 times and went to SC/SB and Tanner instead. Have been fish skunked more than fish scored (like, nobody on the boat or 1 person slaying it), but the baitfish have always been there and swimming into those huge balls and being inside it as the school morphs into different shapes is pretty dang rad.

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I did my hard core sailing well over 30 years ago. We did not have sophisticated navigation systems. Now the NAV systems are so good that if you mess up--like sailing into Cortez Bank on a big swell- you are an idiot.

I may very well cruise when I retire, which is soon. It is a fabulous lifestyle for a person. The freedom is so mind changing. You feel like a completely different person. Sailboats are a bargain compared to power boats, if you know sailboats, and what to buy you can get a quality boat for a very reasonable price.

But long passages, I will never do again. I did three, one across the Atlantic to France, two down to South America. To, me long passages are boring AF. Staring at empty water really isn't that interesting, and way out in the ocean, the fishing is not good. You just sail. And deal with weather.

People get weird when they are in confined places. On the trip to France, we had a Frenchie on board. He wouldn't bathe and smelled like a goat that had rolled in dog sh!t. Two weeks into the passage, my buddy eventually got sick of it and tried to strangle him and throw him overboard because he wouldn't bathe. Seriously. I broke it up, and took a bucket of seawater ,Kirks Castille soap , a scrub brush, and scrubbed his ass down. Frenchie cried the whole time. We made it, and were great friends on land, once we got there.. Sheesh. I won't go into my trips to south america with women on board. We got there, and flew the chicas back.

My point is that the way to cruise is to island hop. Couple of days at sea, hit a port. Caribbean is the ticket. With the right companion. Long passages are for crazy people.
I can't believe you just told a story about raping a frenchman in the middle of the Atlantic...

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
yeah, probably. like...uber for boats or whatever.

I always build escape hatches in to my backpacking routes...plan for failures
with redundancies and fall back plans, but hitting a reef and sinking 100 miles
off the coast is next level crisis type sh!t
So long as you have a life raft and ditch bag with handheld VHF, flares, EPIRB and/or Garmin InReach (preferably both), some water, you'll be picked up in a day or two. Maybe a handheld 2 meter radio just for fun.

Reactions: tenover

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
So long as you have a life raft and ditch bag with handheld VHF, flares, EPIRB and/or Garmin InReach (preferably both), some water, you'll be picked up in a day or two. Maybe a handheld 2 meter radio just for fun.
does the coast guard charge you for this type of stuff?

what about your boat...are you fined for wrecking?

honest questions; possibly idiotic

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I want a EPIRB for my efoiling adventures.

Worst case scenario I will wash ashore on Camp Pendleton.

Would you get in trouble for that?

Would someone give you a ride home?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
People get weird when they are in confined places. On the trip to France, we had a Frenchie on board. He wouldn't bathe and smelled like a goat that had rolled in dog sh!t. Two weeks into the passage, my buddy eventually got sick of it and tried to strangle him and throw him overboard because he wouldn't bathe. Seriously. I broke it up, and took a bucket of seawater ,Kirks Castille soap , a scrub brush, and scrubbed his ass down. Frenchie cried the whole time. We made it, and were great friends on land, once we got there.. Sheesh. I won't go into my trips to south america with women on board. We got there, and flew the chicas back.
Why do you hate my chance to experience life vicariously so much.

Buoy_maker

OTF status
Feb 20, 2017
The guy claiming he’s spent more time than anyone there at 40 nights is lame. I’ve done 20 easy, and I’m 100% sure my brother has done 40 nights out there. Although not by ourselves. All the dive boats basically used to go there at the start and end of the lobster season. Some of the old timers on the lobster trips easily have 40 nights on the hook out there. I got my first 10 lber out there. The wreck is easy picking for bugs. Too bad those trips are a thing of the past.

the diver that was on the buoy wasn’t swept away. They forgot his ass. I’ve dove with him.

A lot of fisherman are getting Florida style fast center consoles, fishing the banks and running home at 40 knots.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
The guy claiming he’s spent more time than anyone there at 40 nights is lame. I’ve done 20 easy, and I’m 100% sure my brother has done 40 nights out there. Although not by ourselves. All the dive boats basically used to go there at the start and end of the lobster season. Some of the old timers on the lobster trips easily have 40 nights on the hook out there. I got my first 10 lber out there. The wreck is easy picking for bugs. Too bad those trips are a thing of the past.

the diver that was on the buoy wasn’t swept away. They forgot his ass. I’ve dove with him.

A lot of fisherman are getting Florida style fast center consoles, fishing the banks and running home at 40 knots.

1. Mongeau built that f'ing tiny boat by himself with his bare hands - out of wood. He goes out solo. He doesn't claim jack sh!t and doesn't give two shits if anyone knows what he's doing. He's not trying to impress anyone. I reckon he's now probably up to 60 nights.
2. I interviewed the diver. He told me they left his ass. But he also got swept away.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
yeah, probably. like...uber for boats or whatever.

I always build escape hatches in to my backpacking routes...plan for failures
with redundancies and fall back plans, but hitting a reef and sinking 100 miles
off the coast is next level crisis type sh!t
I'm imagining standing on that 3-6' deep rock until another boat passes by. You're only 100mi from land if you limit yourself to two dimensional thought.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory

was waiting for you to post buddy!

guaranz your bro has done 40+, post some pics fucko

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I've seen plenty of commercial fishing boats out there, drift and (squid) seiners. I'd be more worried about getting scooped up into a net while diving than getting stranded. Also, there's lots of variation on the name:

Cortes vs Cortez
Bank and Banks

those are thrown around and interchanged all over the place.