What fins for a 6’ 2 Lovelace Burner?

Apr 30, 2012
New Jersey
My first 2 + 1 setup in a smaller board and interested in what center fin to use. Surf East Coast beach breaks 90% of the time. I’m 5’8, 158 lbs and will probably use larger bronzer side fins or FCS GL side bites. Was thinking either a 6.5 Greenough 4a or try a 6.0 Wayne Rich power fin. Any suggestions on fin choice? Let me know what your using. Thanks

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
My first 2 + 1 setup in a smaller board and interested in what center fin to use. Surf East Coast beach breaks 90% of the time. I’m 5’8, 158 lbs and will probably use larger bronzer side fins or FCS GL side bites. Was thinking either a 6.5 Greenough 4a or try a 6.0 Wayne Rich power fin. Any suggestions on fin choice? Let me know what your using. Thanks
Fins are nice and all...but assuming you're a male; you should really be concerned about adding some calories to your diet.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Have you ridden it yet? Was just looking at them today for use in NJ beachies. You go with Lovelace or Trimcraft? I might go the Varial Trimcraft route

Apr 30, 2012
New Jersey
Haven’t picked board up yet but went Trimcraft because faster turnaround. Have been interested in the design for awhile so ordered one. Trying to find out if I need to pick up some additional fins so ready to go. Easier to start with what others know works rather than too much trial and error.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
My 5'11 Burner is a twin (used, not my custom) and goes best so far with Piggyback keels. I don't know 2+1 setups well, so not sure where your side boxes are placed, but might be a fun option to try out if possible. It's a fun board for playful waves, but mine probably would've been more versatile if it had a trailer finbox

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Finish?

I didn't even start!

Please school me DocMeister, is 160 lb's not a healthy weight for a 5'8" male human?
I wouldn't call it unhealthy but I would say it's not optimal for an adult male past the age of 30. There's just to many physical and biological advantages you're giving away by being a waif. I can say without pause that generally a 5" 8" 160 pound male is at greater risk, a risk that increases as we age of soft tissue injuries (tendon, muscle or ligament injuries), injuries associates with reduced bone density, and things like disabling osteoporosis than a person who has a higher amount of lean body mass.

There's a study right now regarding covid that is looking at the mortality of otherwise healthy adults. Because this mortality group is so rare the results wouldn't per se survive scientific scrutiny but when you start adding the mortality numbers from pneumonia in otherwise healthy adults there's a statistical relevance to the survivability of a person with 20% body fat vs a person with 10% body fat. Otherwise healthy is an important metric because it takes out the fat slobs and the skinny fats from both groups. There's no conclusion drawn because the study is looking at a different set of data but the data is painting a picture which will cause further study.

Reactions: Havoc

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I wouldn't call it unhealthy but I would say it's not optimal for an adult male past the age of 30. There's just to many physical and biological advantages you're giving away by being a waif. I can say without pause that generally a 5" 8" 160 pound male is at greater risk, a risk that increases as we age of soft tissue injuries (tendon, muscle or ligament injuries), injuries associates with reduced bone density, and things like disabling osteoporosis than a person who has a higher amount of lean body mass.

There's a study right now regarding covid that is looking at the mortality of otherwise healthy adults. Because this mortality group is so rare the results wouldn't per se survive scientific scrutiny but when you start adding the mortality numbers from pneumonia in otherwise healthy adults there's a statistical relevance to the survivability of a person with 20% body fat vs a person with 10% body fat. Otherwise healthy is an important metric because it takes out the fat slobs and the skinny fats from both groups. There's no conclusion drawn because the study is looking at a different set of data but the data is painting a picture which will cause further study.
You should tell Kelly Slater, he's even more of a "waif" at 5'9" 160lbs.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
DocMeister sure draws a lot of conclusions about a total stranger's physical condition based on two measurements. Maybe just got lost on the way to his next lecture and wandered over to the design forum by mistake.

Last edited:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
You should tell Kelly Slater, he's even more of a "waif" at 5'9" 160lbs.
If Kelly still says he's 160 then he doesn't just lie about his board dimensions/volume anymore.:ROFLMAO:

I watched Kelly in person squat close to 2X his body weight for reps. Kelly, like most professional athletes is a genetic freak and he's pound for pound well on the stronger side of normal. Us average joes shouldn't judge ourselves by the same standard.

Reactions: Havoc

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
Don’t know about the Burner but I used large Bonzer sides (Salty Merchants) with a Greenough 4a in my NPJ today and it was a freaking blast in average conditions. 4”+ sides with a TA Bonzer centre has been my go to in the bigger stuff.

Apr 30, 2012
New Jersey
Thanks for your inputs. Probably will go with the Bonzer sides to start along with 6“ Bonzer center and adjust from there. As to this issue about being a healthy or unhealthy weight there are too many variables beyond 2 numbers being height and weight. Sure we may all be heavier with increased body fat because of lifestyle choices or genetics. I am under the belief that a leaner / healthy body condition tends to makes us less susceptible to disease. I have worked / studied animals for over 35 years and have found that lean body weight decreases disease and increases longevity. At 62 I still love to surf so I watch my weight, eat right, exercise regularly, lift weights, etc. to continue this lifestyle. If Kelly Slater is a model for this then I think my choices have been a good one. My suggestion is to treat your body well, enjoy life , be good to others and do the things you love until you cannot do them anymore. Illness will creep up on us when we least expect it and that’s a fact.